• macmus
    replied
    new drvier has come EOT :P

Leave a comment:

• Draco-LVNH

• Draco-LVNH
    replied
    Originally posted by aoanla View Post
    Or, of course, that all the ati users who aren't satisfied with 8.42.3 have given up hope for improvements in 8.43.x

(Or that, in general, people exhausted themselves getting excited about 8.42.3, and, regardless of their feelings about the driver, just haven't got the energy to be as excited less than a month after...)
    i think you are right, besides, the 8.41 was horrible on AMD64, users could not even run programs, now we can i think we are not desperate like those times then, i would like more stability and xv support than AIGLX.... for now, but if AIGLX gets better then welcome AIGLX, i really do not mind using XGL for Compiz, also XGL and 8.42 are fine, for anyone who want to try out, it does not work for >=xorg-server-1.4

Leave a comment:

• aoanla

• aoanla
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
    Hm, it's very silenced here, so I guess, that a lot of ati users are very satisfied with 8.42.3 or at least a lot more than I thought.
    Or, of course, that all the ati users who aren't satisfied with 8.42.3 have given up hope for improvements in 8.43.x

(Or that, in general, people exhausted themselves getting excited about 8.42.3, and, regardless of their feelings about the driver, just haven't got the energy to be as excited less than a month after...)

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Do realize that tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US and on Friday is Black Friday (not that it means much to AMD).... What days does that leave then?
    Well, today. :-P

So no driver this week to expect. Well, could be worse, at least I got those strange corruptions sold out.
    And (according to the bug report) they are also working on fixing that oops, that prevents me to switch between console and also seems to prevent me from suspending/resuming.
    (I don't mean the SLUB thing, but from another bug report that'll be fixed to, hopefully.)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    Phoronix

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
    I've got a feeling, that it'll come out this week.
    (But that, obviously, doesn't mean anything. )
    Do realize that tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US and on Friday is Black Friday (not that it means much to AMD).... What days does that leave then?

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh

• Berniyh
    replied
    Hm, it's very silenced here, so I guess, that a lot of ati users are very satisfied with 8.42.3 or at least a lot more than I thought.

I've got a feeling, that it'll come out this week.
    (But that, obviously, doesn't mean anything. )

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    Kanotix Developer

• Kano
    replied
    I would call apps using openscenegraph like gl2benchmark as "real" 3d apps.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    Linux Game Publishing

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    I would not expect too much from a new fglrx release, as ATI is known to make very small steps - or would you say something else to the point that FireGL IDs will not be in it? This should have been already in 8.42... The OSS driver approach is fine, but thats only for ppl who do not want to use their gfx card for real 3d apps like games or similar tools.
    Considering that they have that nice n' nasty memory leak in their default pathway handling (It's in glxgears, of all things, that it happens most dramatically in when it does happen; it's a simple enough thing to run and leave running overnight to catch mistakes in memory object processing for a driver... ) it may be another driver or two or three before they open up FireGL support. The driver doesn't honestly meet the stated criteria for FireGL right now.

As for "real 3D" apps, Kano, the Radeon Mobility 9000 can realistically handle most "real" apps better with higher perfomance than the supposedly "superior" X200M on fglrx- I can actually play things like Blender, Q3:A, Postal2 demo, WoP, and LGP's titles in test, whereas I can't do much of ANYTHING past something like Neverball on the X200M with a more powerful CPU in it.

I'd be cautious about making blanket statements like you're making there...

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    Kanotix Developer

• Kano
    replied
    I would not expect too much from a new fglrx release, as ATI is known to make very small steps - or would you say something else to the point that FireGL IDs will not be in it? This should have been already in 8.42... The OSS driver approach is fine, but thats only for ppl who do not want to use their gfx card for real 3d apps like games or similar tools.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    Linux Game Publishing

• Svartalf
    replied
    This depends on...

1) How many contractors they've hired on to do the work.

2) How many people actually have vacation time, how much vacation time they have, etc.

Odds on, there will be work going on during the next day or so (bridgman's been posting and Phoronix wouldn't have given him an AMD moniker on his user type if he wasn't an official rep there...) and for about four weeks following this week. Now, whether they accomplish something usable for us in that timeframe remains to be seen. I'd just love to see that evil memory leak resolved so I can set up one of my test machines with the X800 and X1300 I've got in hand. Even if it's unstable, I can guide them through the maze of problems with LGP's stuff while we wait for the spec docs so they can make the thing at least a little more robust. But with things like that leak bug, I've got a few more pressing things to attend to as that should've been caught with Valgrind before it shipped...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X