Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
    when is the 8.43 version getiting released
    that is the question which half of ATI community is asking.
    The other half already bought Nvidia after 8.42 :P

Comment

8.42 was released at the end of October, ATI do a monthly release so it'll be the end of November for 8.43, still two weeks to go.

Comment

that is the question which half of ATI community is asking.
        The other half already bought Nvidia after 8.42 :P
        well i don't have an nvidia card and i don't care. where's my share? :>

Comment

Any bets that development is occuring this week in the United States?

Also, being six weeks before Christmas, I do not see any more development after this next release until sometime in late January. That is, if something is going to be released in the next two to three weeks.

Comment

This depends on...

1) How many contractors they've hired on to do the work.

2) How many people actually have vacation time, how much vacation time they have, etc.

Odds on, there will be work going on during the next day or so (bridgman's been posting and Phoronix wouldn't have given him an AMD moniker on his user type if he wasn't an official rep there...) and for about four weeks following this week. Now, whether they accomplish something usable for us in that timeframe remains to be seen. I'd just love to see that evil memory leak resolved so I can set up one of my test machines with the X800 and X1300 I've got in hand. Even if it's unstable, I can guide them through the maze of problems with LGP's stuff while we wait for the spec docs so they can make the thing at least a little more robust. But with things like that leak bug, I've got a few more pressing things to attend to as that should've been caught with Valgrind before it shipped...

Comment

I would not expect too much from a new fglrx release, as ATI is known to make very small steps - or would you say something else to the point that FireGL IDs will not be in it? This should have been already in 8.42... The OSS driver approach is fine, but thats only for ppl who do not want to use their gfx card for real 3d apps like games or similar tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                I would not expect too much from a new fglrx release, as ATI is known to make very small steps - or would you say something else to the point that FireGL IDs will not be in it? This should have been already in 8.42... The OSS driver approach is fine, but thats only for ppl who do not want to use their gfx card for real 3d apps like games or similar tools.
                Considering that they have that nice n' nasty memory leak in their default pathway handling (It's in glxgears, of all things, that it happens most dramatically in when it does happen; it's a simple enough thing to run and leave running overnight to catch mistakes in memory object processing for a driver... ) it may be another driver or two or three before they open up FireGL support. The driver doesn't honestly meet the stated criteria for FireGL right now.

As for "real 3D" apps, Kano, the Radeon Mobility 9000 can realistically handle most "real" apps better with higher perfomance than the supposedly "superior" X200M on fglrx- I can actually play things like Blender, Q3:A, Postal2 demo, WoP, and LGP's titles in test, whereas I can't do much of ANYTHING past something like Neverball on the X200M with a more powerful CPU in it.

I'd be cautious about making blanket statements like you're making there...

Comment

I would call apps using openscenegraph like gl2benchmark as "real" 3d apps.

Comment

Hm, it's very silenced here, so I guess, that a lot of ati users are very satisfied with 8.42.3 or at least a lot more than I thought.

I've got a feeling, that it'll come out this week.
                    (But that, obviously, doesn't mean anything. )

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                      I've got a feeling, that it'll come out this week.
                      (But that, obviously, doesn't mean anything. )
                      Do realize that tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US and on Friday is Black Friday (not that it means much to AMD).... What days does that leave then?
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X