Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.13 To Enable Radeon DPM, HDMI Audio

Phoronix: Linux 3.13 To Enable Radeon DPM, HDMI Audio

AMD has made known the changes they have lined up for the Linux 3.13 kernel merge window. Among the work includes finally enabling Radeon Dynamic Power Management (DPM) for some graphics processors and also restoring HDMI audio support to be enabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kickass. Fedora 21, and Ubuntu 14.04 just got more interesting.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Kickass. Fedora 21, and Ubuntu 14.04 just got more interesting.
      Already using Kubuntu 14.04 here, it won't be interesting for a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        DPM is to be enabled by default for Radeon HD 4000 through Radeon HD 5000 series graphics processors.
        That seems to be incorrect, or at least incomplete.

DPM is enabled by default for most chips now, in particluar:

case CHIP_RV770:
        case CHIP_RV730:
        case CHIP_RV710:
        case CHIP_RV740:
        case CHIP_CEDAR:
        case CHIP_REDWOOD:
        case CHIP_JUNIPER:
        case CHIP_CYPRESS:
        case CHIP_HEMLOCK:
        case CHIP_PALM:
        case CHIP_SUMO:
        case CHIP_SUMO2:
        case CHIP_BARTS:
        case CHIP_TURKS:
        case CHIP_CAICOS:
        case CHIP_TAHITI:
        case CHIP_PITCAIRN:
        case CHIP_VERDE:
        case CHIP_OLAND:
        case CHIP_HAINAN:
        It is still disabled by default on:

case CHIP_RV610:
        case CHIP_RV630:
        case CHIP_RV620:
        case CHIP_RV635:
        case CHIP_RV670:
        case CHIP_RS780:
        case CHIP_RS880:
        case CHIP_CAYMAN:
        case CHIP_ARUBA:
        case CHIP_BONAIRE:
        case CHIP_KABINI:
        case CHIP_KAVERI:
        So I think that's the old 2xxx cards, 3xxx, the old MB integrated parts from back then, the 69xx, and some of the newer SI parts.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          So I think that's the old 2xxx cards, 3xxx, the old MB integrated parts from back then, the 69xx, and some of the newer SI parts.
          To be more exact, some recent cards not using DPM are: HD 6950/6970, HD 7790 and the upcoming Kaveri IGPs.

Comment

Well good, I've been using DPM on my 7850 since kernel 3.11 came out and I had zero issues, seems to me it's ready to be default.

About HDMI audio: does it work on radeonsi as well? Because even if I boot with radeon.audio=1 I get no sound, the device doesn't even appear in pulseaudio...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              Well good, I've been using DPM on my 7850 since kernel 3.11 came out and I had zero issues, seems to me it's ready to be default.

About HDMI audio: does it work on radeonsi as well? Because even if I boot with radeon.audio=1 I get no sound, the device doesn't even appear in pulseaudio...
              Alex or Christian could chime in hopefully.. One the latest releases they moved from radeon.audio=1 to a runtime option exposed via xrandr or xset I think. But im having a hard tracking down the specific comment where they said what the command was to enable it.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Alex or Christian could chime in hopefully.. One the latest releases they moved from radeon.audio=1 to a runtime option exposed via xrandr or xset I think. But im having a hard tracking down the specific comment where they said what the command was to enable it.
                Code:
                xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio on
                but AFAIK radeon.audio=1 does the same and 'audio auto' is the default now. They both don't help if no audio driver is loaded (e.g. nothing shows up in pulseaudio), because no matter what parameter you use, the device should still be there.

Comment

The other nice power change for Radeon owners with the Linux 3.13 kernel is support for dynamically powering on/off discrete GPUs as part of ATI/AMD PowerXpress systems.
                  So much for all the people advising me to get a nVidia R770mx GPU instead of AMD because the drivers work much better in Linux. Ive had nothing but trouble on my newly purchased laptop because of crappy and buggy drivers. I also have to rely on third party apps just to be able to use the discrete GPU. AMD's customers will even get it automatic by default in the FOSS drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn3ipen View Post
                    So much for all the people advising me to get a nVidia R770mx GPU instead of AMD because the drivers work much better in Linux. Ive had nothing but trouble on my newly purchased laptop because of crappy and buggy drivers. I also have to rely on third party apps just to be able to use the discrete GPU. AMD's customers will even get it automatic by default in the FOSS drivers.
                    I've seen some confusion over the PowerXpress additions to the radeon driver in other places. It's important to note that the changes in 3.13 do not equate to allow you to offload graphics processing to the discrete GPU -- this feature has been a part of Xorg (specifically, through PRIME) for a while now. What this change is, is specifically for turning the discrete GPU off automatically when it's not being used. It's a power-saving feature.

Comment

Working...
                    X