Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borsook View Post
    Antialiansing settings, texture filtering settings, vsync etc etc. Plus using open drivers still is bothersome due to the situation with S3TC...
    S3TC -> one lib from normal repo + force_s3tc_enable=true in /etc/environment, easy if You consider that anything more official would clash with few patents out there... (And I still can not fanthom why GPU manufacturers wont acquire license for EACH AND EVERY produced GPU. So that owner of the GPU is covered...)

Vsync -> xorg.conf

Good way for forcing 3D settings would be great though.

Comment

Results of like six or so graphics cards spanning multiple generations and low/mid/high-end variants going up at midnight.... overall, results largely remarkable for a Linux 3.12 performance boost that was unexpected.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
        Please, include E-350 into the testing mix.
        +1
        For now, I'm running gentoo with 3.11, but dependeing on the performance I can upgrade to 3.12 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          S3TC -> one lib from normal repo + force_s3tc_enable=true in /etc/environment, easy if You consider that anything more official would clash with few patents out there... (And I still can not fanthom why GPU manufacturers wont acquire license for EACH AND EVERY produced GPU. So that owner of the GPU is covered...)

Vsync -> xorg.conf

xorg.conf is hardly a user friendly option, plus it does not allow you to set per application. Some may not be bothered by this, I'm just pointing out why for me personally open drivers are nothing more than just a fallback.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post

Vsync -> xorg.conf

You can force vsync and 3D settings using driconf. There's even a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The problem with driconf is that it's not very intuitive, and doesn't have very many options. For example, where are the slider controls for fan speed, voltages, and frequencies? Where is the settings for MSAA, SMAA, AF? I know someone who refuses to use open source drivers with his Radeon GPU because he needs to set a specific voltage/fan speed and downclock slightly or else his graphics card will be unstable. The Catalyst Control Center can manage this, but there isn't a method of doing so with the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                A10-6800 4,1 GHz - Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024MB (915/1050MHz)

Kernel: 3.12.0-rc4:
                Code:
                Xonotic 0.7:
                    pts/xonotic-1.3.1 [Resolution: 1920 x 1080 - Effects Quality: Ultra]
                    Test 1 of 1
                    Estimated Trial Run Count:    3
                    Estimated Time To Completion: 11 Minutes
                        Started Run 1 @ 21:07:15
                        Started Run 2 @ 21:08:54
                        Started Run 3 @ 21:10:34  [Std. Dev: 1.61%]

Test Results:

Average: 117.17 Frames Per Second
                    Minimum: 56
                    Maximum: 264
                Kernel: 3.11.4:
                Code:
                Xonotic 0.7:
                    pts/xonotic-1.3.1 [Resolution: 1920 x 1080 - Effects Quality: Ultra]
                    Test 1 of 1
                    Estimated Trial Run Count:    3
                    Estimated Time To Completion: 11 Minutes
                        Started Run 1 @ 21:15:28
                        Started Run 2 @ 21:17:04
                        Started Run 3 @ 21:18:39  [Std. Dev: 0.11%]

Test Results:

Average: 122.29 Frames Per Second
                    Minimum: 59
                    Maximum: 264
                Linux kernel 3.12-rc4 doesn't include the Radeon DRM patches. You are looking for 3.12-rc5.

Comment

The thread is going off topic, but is there any reason why someone can't create a Catalyst control centre like application for the FOSS drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Thanks, I've never used it, I'll give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      The problem with driconf is that it's not very intuitive, and doesn't have very many options. For example, where are the slider controls for fan speed, voltages, and frequencies? Where is the settings for MSAA, SMAA, AF? I know someone who refuses to use open source drivers with his Radeon GPU because he needs to set a specific voltage/fan speed and downclock slightly or else his graphics card will be unstable.
                      You can control MLAA from it; for SMAA, patches welcome. AF overrides especially would be fairly easy to add. Options like Nvidia's "digital vibrancy" would also be easy to add, nobody has just cared about them.

The thread is going off topic, but is there any reason why someone can't create a Catalyst control centre like application for the FOSS drivers?
                      The drivers do not expose fan speed/clocks/voltages in any way, so no over/underclocking is possible (going behind the driver's back would be very bad). For the other functionality, just prettifying driconf's GUIs would do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X