Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR'ized Radeon Driver Shows Hope Over EXA

Phoronix: GLAMOR'ized Radeon Driver Shows Hope Over EXA

While Intel has their highly-tuned "SNA" acceleration architecture for delivering maximum 2D performance, it turns out the OpenGL-based GLAMOR acceleration architecture for the open-source Radeon driver may be better than the xf86-video-ati driver's own EXA implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To quote
    "SNA is the very large and highly-tuned 2D code-path..."

I hope for the people using an intel chip it is not as large and complex and therefore vulnerable and messy in the end like intel's UEFI reference implementation.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Interestingly, while GLAMOR was 2.0x slower than SNA, the fglrx driver and its 2D Cairo performance was 9.0x slower.
      I have got similar results with my old Intel GMA X4500 outperforming in 2D fglrx on Alienware Radeon HD 7970M

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Cairo Performance Demo

Comment

I use glamor on a A8-5500 (ARUBA), which uses the r600 driver (Debian Testing 64-bit, Xfce 4.10, no compositing, mesa, glamor, xf86-ati, kernel from git). I am kinda stuck with it because appears to be more stable than EXA which seems to cause freezes.
        And it doesnt feel any faster than EXA, also it has some visual issues (certain notification area icons are fully transparent). Activating the built in xfce software compositing makes most of them appear (except the alltray'ed ones), but then the interface feels a bit more sluggish and there is a cloned tile of the first workspace's maximized window (i keep the browser there) upper left corner that is present in all workspaces (it appears if a new icon registers in the tray).
        Libreoffice's menus have their text color set to white (instead of black) and highlight background to grey (instead of blue) so the hovered text is almost invisible.
        On the bright side, the CPU usage overall for dragging or drawing (mostly web pages) operations etc seems to have gone down so it might be an advantage for mobile users.

Comment

There are some glamor speedups and fixes in the queue, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ober/date.html

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
            There are some glamor speedups and fixes in the queue, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ober/date.html
            Looks good. When will be merged into master?

Comment

The baseline I have chosen here is the performance of the Intel DDX using SNA but with acceleration disabled ? that is it is completely rendering using the i5-2500 CPU.
              It was found that the default EXA acceleration method for 2D in the Radeon driver was 2.9x slower than Intel SNA on Sandy Bridge while the GLAMOR option was only 2.0x slower.
              Intel SNA isn't really compared.

Comment

glamor slow down 3d performance on my 6770, openarena, lightsmark -10\15% againts exa

Comment

Faster!? Maybe with gnome, with KDE is simply unusable: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69341
                  At least it isn't glamor's fault because on Intel HD 4000 I haven't this issue.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

It doesn't matter how much faster it is as long as it tears. Also quite sad it's that buggy.

Comment

Working...
                    X