phenom II 965 / FX6100
    Radeon HD rv710 4350 / HD7700 cape verde
    Kde 4.11.2
    Glamor + XV forced
    kernel 3.11.3/3.12-rc3

Kwin settings

render Raster
    Opengl Version 3.1 / 2.0

i don't have any issues even with this crappy gpu or RadeonSI, so i assume must be an gpu specific issue or distro specific because i cannot reproduce it in any of my radeon machines
    I guess it's radeonsi specific (I can't reproduce it with Intel HD 4000). Hopefully a mesa bug will be easier to track down but unfortunately developers don't seem interested in KDE related bugs

Edit: what the fuck, HD7700 IS radeonsi! Can you please make a simple test? Open konsole with HD7700 and mesa git, type something (alot of characters) and then delete them. Do you see any lag?
    Last edited by darkbasic; 04 October 2013, 10:36 AM.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Meanwhile, I have two Radeon HD 6850s and one Radeon HD 7950 running with open source drivers / glamoregl from the oibaf ppa and there are no bugs/crashes in regards to desktop rendering with Unity, but the RadeonSI support is abysmall in regards to performance in games (supposing you can get them to run in the first place) in comparison to Catalyst. If you are using RadeonSI, it's best to use Catalyst 13.8 Beta, although I haven't tried Catalyst 13.10 because it didn't look very enthusiastic for a release two months after 13.8's massive changes.

Comment

On the contrary I noticed VERY good performance with games, I got 121 fps in Xonotic 1080p High quality and 102 fps in Openarena 0.8.8 1080p with radeonsi (HD 7950).
        It's a lot considering KDE is completely unusable.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          On the contrary I noticed VERY good performance with games, I got 121 fps in Xonotic 1080p High quality and 102 fps in Openarena 0.8.8 1080p with radeonsi (HD 7950).
          It's a lot considering KDE is completely unusable.
          I would be pretty embarassed if I had that much FPS in those two games when I get over 300FPS in a game like TF2 and CSGO in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            I would be pretty embarassed if I had that much FPS in those two games when I get over 300FPS in a game like TF2 and CSGO in Windows.
            Hey, did you forget glxgears barely worked just a few months ago?
            ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              Intel SNA isn't really compared.
              You are forgetting the that sna also heavily targets intel's very powerful simd engine, and not just upto sse2 but, I believe, even up to avx2.
              That results in a pretty big difference even if sna isn't making use of the blt engine, or the 3d pipeline for non-trivial transforms (color space, rotation/stretch, etc).

Comment

Close, but no cigar

I tried Glamor again with better results than last time, maybe. Runs ok, but with software rendering "feel". Only visual bug is that the cursor is maybe a 75-100px square dot cloud. But, it's not clear if it's really even running.

Xorg.0.log shows that glamoregl module loads, but there are no more glamor-related messages after that. Then, exa module loads, followed by a few exa init messages, then R600G prints a "Useful debugging info follows" section, which is not normally there.

Does this make sense to anyone? Surely they shouldn't both be loading. Do I need to physically configure EXA out of Mesa?

Any help is much appreciated. It's got to be close!

Config: Radeon HD 4650 AGP, r600g driver, kernel 3.12-rc3, all built from current Git, on Slackware-current.

Comment

Originally posted by pa2708 View Post
                  I tried Glamor again with better results than last time, maybe. Runs ok, but with software rendering "feel". Only visual bug is that the cursor is maybe a 75-100px square dot cloud. But, it's not clear if it's really even running.

Xorg.0.log shows that glamoregl module loads, but there are no more glamor-related messages after that. Then, exa module loads, followed by a few exa init messages, then R600G prints a "Useful debugging info follows" section, which is not normally there.

Does this make sense to anyone? Surely they shouldn't both be loading. Do I need to physically configure EXA out of Mesa?

Any help is much appreciated. It's got to be close!

Config: Radeon HD 4650 AGP, r600g driver, kernel 3.12-rc3, all built from current Git, on Slackware-current.
                  If exa initializes then you dont use glamor. You dont need to I had this issue when, even having built and configured everything correctly, exa was used. I dont know exactly the reason for it, but i removed some leftover (from previous compiles) xaa related .so files from the xorg modules directory and then it worked.
                  Also, make sure you build (in this order):

-mesa with (these are required): --enable-gbm, --with-egl-platforms=x11,drm. Dont use --enable-xaa.
                  -glamor (xv is optional, but as some applications may require it, it is highly advised) with --enable-glx-tls --enable-xv
                  -xf86-ati

As xv support is just got in glamor, i advise using the git versions for the above.

Also, make sure you have either an xorg.conf that has both the "module" and "device" sections, or have the glamor.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (or wherever your distro needs it) with the "module" section and xorg.conf with the "device" section. I found that for some reason if i put everything in glamor.conf, after reboot it was missing the "device" section.

If it works, you should have something like this:

Code:
                  $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i glamor
                  [    21.900] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
                  [    21.931] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
                  [    22.124] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    22.375] (**) RADEON(0): Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
                  [    22.375] (II) Loading sub module "glamoregl"
                  [    22.375] (II) LoadModule: "glamoregl"
                  [    22.376] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
                  [    22.376] (II) Module glamoregl: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
                  [    22.376] (II) glamor: OpenGL accelerated X.org driver based.
                  [    23.918] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
                  [    23.964] (II) RADEON(0): glamor detected, initialising EGL layer.
                  [    24.910] (II) RADEON(0): Use GLAMOR acceleration.
                  [    24.910] (II) RADEON(0): Set up textured video (glamor)
                  [    24.910] (II) RADEON(0): [XvMC] Associated with GLAMOR Textured Video.

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
                    If exa initializes then you dont use glamor. You dont need to I had this issue when, even having built and configured everything correctly, exa was used. I dont know exactly the reason for it, but i removed some leftover (from previous compiles) xaa related .so files from the xorg modules directory and then it worked.
                    Also, make sure you build (in this order):
                    Thanks for the hints Grad! The packages and build order were ok. The placement of options between xorg.conf and glamor.conf, though, seems to be really touchy. After a few iterations with that (ending up with everything in xorg.conf, and an empty glamor.conf since I believe one has to be present), glamor now initializes, but there's a segfault in r600_dri.so before the display comes up. Should be able to track that down from the stack dump. One step closer!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      Edit: what the fuck, HD7700 IS radeonsi! Can you please make a simple test? Open konsole with HD7700 and mesa git, type something (alot of characters) and then delete them. Do you see any lag?
                      i did and it works as expected with 0 delay, here those are my setting http://www.imagebam.com/image/ef359c279882336 <-- this is from my radeonsi card with glamoregl with whole graphic stack on git[mesa/libpciaccess/libdrm/pixman/cairo/galmoregl/kmscon/etc] on gentoo

update: is the same in my 4850x2,4350 cards which r600g with glamor forced on archlinux
                      Last edited by jrch2k8; 05 October 2013, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X