AMD Posts A Horde Of New 3D GPU Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mantle

Excellent news. I wonder if this documentation will tie in with the new Mantle API?

Comment

"The Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" and Radeon HD 6000 "Northern Islands" open-source driver support is in good shape"

That wasn't the case with my Radeon HD 6750M, which did not work at all with the open source driver (on Ubuntu 13.04).

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        "The Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" and Radeon HD 6000 "Northern Islands" open-source driver support is in good shape"

That wasn't the case with my Radeon HD 6750M, which did not work at all with the open source driver (on Ubuntu 13.04).
        Working just fine in my system, Radeon HD 6520g + 6750M, ubuntu 13.10 (final beta), dpm enabled, kernel 3.11 and 3.12-rc3, oibaf's PPA (packages for raring). The only issues: resume from suspend leaves a black screen... https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43829, and glxgears crashes X, which is already solved: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60182
        Last edited by asdfblah; 02 October 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
          I think I will throw some money on AMD again. Maybe even rethink the MiniITX server from ATOM to Fusion...
          An A6-1450 is probably ideal for a fanless ITX SteamOS streamer box in the living room.

Keep your beefy gaming box somewhere where you don't have to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            An A6-1450 is probably ideal for a fanless ITX SteamOS streamer box in the living room.

The streaming is used mainly for backward compatibility, as a better-than-nothing way of playing older games in the living room. But if you are to play newer games that run natively on SteamOS then I'm sure putting a real box under your TV will provide you a noticeably superior experience in terms of both latency and image quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              I've got a MiniITX Llano at home (A6-3500, 45-65w?) that's been running for ~2 years, and it's been very reliable. It's currently running MythBuntu with an HDMI output carrying video/audio to the receiver and has been running the open-source radeon drivers since it was built. With DPM and UVD working, this machine is silent and keeps up with everything I ask of it (although I've been thinking of upgrading from a single to a dual tuner)... I can only imagine how well Trinity/Richland would perform.

Although if you were already looking at Atom, I'm assuming you're looking for something even lower power yet (Jaguar?). I've been thinking of something similar for my next NAS upgrade (the current Phenom II 720 is definitely overkill).
              Well I'm currently deciding between Intel ATOM N2800 (16W, but a little bit less powerful than the other two, also no BIOS RAID) vs. AMD E-350 (30W and no BIOS RAID) vs AMD T56N (also 30W, but seems like a really nice mobo that could run for years without any maintenance + plenty of features). Power consumption is a big part of my plan since the whole server will be powered by batteries and solar panels (mobo + 3x HDD). BTW it will be used for OwnCloud, email server and JAVA accounting app.

AMD makes superior HW, it's just the SW that lacks behind...

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              I'm thinking about AMD A6-1450 for my next laptop (11" maybe?), since 13" i7 ultrabook seems like an overkill (also the weight & height are pointless when it's that big...). For video/audio streaming I'm going to order RPi.

Comment

The streaming is used mainly for backward compatibility, as a better-than-nothing way of playing older games in the living room. But if you are to play newer games that run natively on SteamOS then I'm sure putting a real box under your TV will provide you a noticeably superior experience in terms of both latency and image quality.
                I would think running it over a Gbit network would be just fine, at least up till 1920x1080. The rendering would entirely be done of the gaming box, which you could use as you HTPC backend server and now game streaming rig.

Now you might have issues trying to stream a game over wifi, but a hardline Gbit setup should have more then enough bandwidth and a low enough latency that it doesn't make any significant difference.

Comment

Hey, Alex, is any of this released documentation particularly 'new' or revolutionary? I know the SI driver is in rough (but improving quickly) shape so this should help there, but I thought everything covered by r600g was in relatively good shape.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Start encrypting your NAS drives with several chained algorithms, like AES->Blowfish->GOST->3DES and it's no longer overkill
                    Fair point. AES can be hardware accelerated, but I'm not aware of instructions for the rest. I'm not using encryption yet, but I am doing RAID-Z on freenas across 3 drives, so there's at least software parity and checksum calculations.

Comment

My 6750M has been working with the open source driver for years, your issue is probably something else. If you're booting via UEFI that could be related to that (with Ubuntu 13.04 anyway), but I'm not aware of any systems that shipped with UEFI and a 6750M... except maybe some Apple laptop of some sort? I believe I remember a 6750M BIOS being posted that was taken from some sort of Apple laptop... those have their own slew of Linux issues to begin with.

Back on topic... this is exactly what I was hoping for when Nvidia said they would try to release some open-source docs. It tends to go like this... when one company announces something, the other company will then announce something better within a week or so. I'm hoping for even better yet open-source support on my multiple AMD APU based systems!

Comment

Working...
                      X