Radeon HDMI Audio issues with Kernel 3.12-rc2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HDMI Audio issues with Kernel 3.12-rc2

I just wanted to test Linux 3.12.rc2 kernel from SuSE HEAD repo.
    Working good but HDMI audio.

Does any one have a issues with 3.12.rc2 kernel? I have same issue with rc1 also.
    Do I need to adjust some settings?

on dmesg, I can saw that Audio is enabled:

[drm] Enabling audio 0 support

But there is no sound.Any hints?

Forgot to say that using Radeon HD6850

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Still broken on RC4.

Comment

It's not broken but de-activated.
          For enable HDMI audio on 3.12 kernel\ you need to issue this command:

Code:
          xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
            It's not broken but de-activated.
            For enable HDMI audio on 3.12 kernel\ you need to issue this command:

Code:
            xrandr --output HDMI-0 --set audio auto
            Ok, thanks a lot, hdmi audio is working now but unfortunately the system crashes about a minute later I have issued that command

I'm running on 3.12 rc5 kernel.

Comment

Alex pushed a related change today: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/047531.html

Comment

I don't get it. Alex writes exactly what users expect, audio should be enabled and turned on by default. Now the default is to initialize audio but not to enable it. So after all people still need to mess around either with kernel parameters or obscure xrandr calls. That's even more nice when no xserver is used (ok, that mostly obscure). I think that new behaviour not really what feels like any advantage. Why don't we just enable hdmi audio and turn it on by default ? Isn't that what all the other drivers do ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                  I don't get it. Alex writes exactly what users expect, audio should be enabled and turned on by default. Now the default is to initialize audio but not to enable it. So after all people still need to mess around either with kernel parameters or obscure xrandr calls. That's even more nice when no xserver is used (ok, that mostly obscure). I think that new behaviour not really what feels like any advantage. Why don't we just enable hdmi audio and turn it on by default ? Isn't that what all the other drivers do ?
                  We'll probably enable audio by default in the next kernel. Previous there were still a number of corner cases which would result in blank screens or other display problems if audio was enabled, but I think we've fixed most of them at this point.

Comment

Just curious, what's the official solution for toggling non-X things in non-X environment, where xrandr obviously doesn't work?

HDMI audio, over/underscan, perhaps some other properties.

Comment

Working...
                    X