X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    So, opensource driver never will be as good as the privative one? so, technically is not possible? Thats sad to heard, I was expecting that day.

But, in my case (ati hd4200 + mesa 9.2 develop..... + dpm thing + r600 shaders optimization) steam games like team fortress 2 and portal seems to run equal (or maybe faster) than in windows using the free driver, seems than the theory is different than the practice in what I have tested.
    It'll be good, and maybe even 90% good but I don't forsee Radeon being 100% as good as Catalyst in all cases. Like I said above, the catalyst devs have even said themselvs that Catalyst has tons of hand-tuning done for various cards and generations, things that would make the mesa code nothing but a tangle of IFDEFS and make the code unmaintainable in the open source fashion.

I think Bridgman originally said the target was 80% of Catalyst, but that was without a few optimizations (like the SB shader backend for example) and some of the other 'more complicated' work that no one was actually expected to do but someone ended up doing it. So we very well may hit 90% or maybe even 98% of the catalyst code. But EXACT same Catalyst performance, across all cards, in all use-cases...? I doubt it. Its just not feasible without starting hand-tuning everything..

Leave a comment:

• FourDMusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Tyler_K View Post
    not needed as its enabled by default since 3.6
    yes, as stated and shown on the very first page
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Exact same level as will never happen. Catalyst has like PER CARD optimizations that would NEVER EVER EVER be accepted in an open source project like Mesa (or the kernel) it creates automatic spaghetti code.
    So, opensource driver never will be as good as the privative one? so, technically is not possible? Thats sad to heard, I was expecting that day.

But, in my case (ati hd4200 + mesa 9.2 develop..... + dpm thing + r600 shaders optimization) steam games like team fortress 2 and portal seems to run equal (or maybe faster) than in windows using the free driver, seems than the theory is different than the practice in what I have tested.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Exact same level as will never happen. Catalyst has like PER CARD optimizations that would NEVER EVER EVER be accepted in an open source project like Mesa (or the kernel) it creates automatic spaghetti code.
    This is why I said "at least comparable". If we get to 90% I am happy about that.

About MSAA you can modify it, its an environment variable.
    Only partially true: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...817#post353817

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    I am not an "average user". I want the same or at least comparable performance with the same settings as the Catalyst driver uses,

About MSAA you can modify it, its an environment variable.

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    kernel 3.11 + dpm by default is not fast for games in my experience, There is needed to force the performance level to the highest level via sysfs to get it working properly

Leave a comment:

• b15hop
    replied
    This review reminds me why I still use nVidia with blob drivers.

Good work on AMD's behalf though, they're really pushing forwards with their drivers. I think AMD could fix this driver cycle issue by making the hardware and firmware more complex and making drivers more simple. I realise in time, this might come true, but for now this is just a pipe dream.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    Originally posted by tulioserpio View Post
    So the real question is:

Has the HD 6670 the same problems the HD 6570 has or not?
    I am not sure what is wrong with Michael's Radeon HD 6570, I don't believe this is a problem that applies to all of these GPUs. Must be something specific to the card manufacturer. A XFX Radeon HD 6670 works just fine here in terms of performance, and should be noticeably (20%) faster than the 6570.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Personally,

I never expect to run anything but Catalyst for 3D until AMD itself open sources the entire stack and support for FreeBSD, Linux, etc, whilst focusing on n-tier selling of service development for the likes of Adobe, Apple, Oracle, NSA, CIA, DoE, etc within their HSA initiative.

As one astute poster mentioned about large amounts of resources [relative to the present value of the company: Only Apple could dwarf Intel on R&D and beat them to the punch] already being leveraged, more will ramp up with the expansion of sales soon to be realized over the next several years.

Anyone complaining about their lack of effort is most likely the same person who wishes to pay zero taxes for services.

You want to help, one has lots of tools to debug and help narrow suspect areas of development that can expedite quicker release cycles.

Leave a comment:

• tulioserpio
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    IIRC the 6570 and 6670 use the same GPU but the 6570 usually ships with slower memory than the 6670 (I'm not sure what kind of RAM is on Michael's HD 6570). Assuming it doesn't get hit by whatever is slowing down the 6570, I would expect your HD 6670 to fall ~midway between 6450 and 6770.
    So the real question is:

Has the HD 6670 the same problems the HD 6570 has or not?

Thanks for the answer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X