11-Way AMD Radeon GPU Comparison On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Exact same level as will never happen. Catalyst has like PER CARD optimizations that would NEVER EVER EVER be accepted in an open source project like Mesa (or the kernel) it creates automatic spaghetti code.
    As a user and developer: This is unfortunate. With proper optimizations speed can be increased and/or power consumption reduced. Think of a game which needs a lot memory bandwidth, but low ALU performance. Reduce ALU clock and voltage, save power.
    There was as recent paper about this to do this automatically.

On the spaghetti code I somewhat disagree: We have written drivers and software and optimized stuff for every hardware generation and card. No spaghetti code, nice architecture. On the other hand, we had only 3-4 cards per generation to support.

Comment

I've got a bit of a funky system, it's a Sony Vaio Z with an external Radeon GPU (6650M) that is bridged to PCIe over Sony's proprietary implementation of Thunderbolt (aka Light Peak). The external Radeon GPU in the setup actually works but only with the open source driver and not Catalyst so I'm at the mercy of the Radeon driver's performance. Unfortunately the performance on this setup is very poor and even the Gnome Shell DE feels a bit sluggish in day to day use, could this be related to the issue Phoronix has with the 6570? I believe the 6650M and 6570 are pretty closely related which makes me question this, has Phoronix ever determined what the issue is with respect to their 6570 setup?

For a point of comparison, the Intel 4000 HD in the Vaio Z feels noticeably faster then the Radeon both in the desktop and for games. When I run glmark2, the Intel 4000 gives me a score of 1800 whereas the Radeon only gives me 1100 with the 3.11 kernel and mesa 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04. I was really hoping to see at least parity between the two on my setup.

Comment

[QUOTE=kwahoo;359124]No, it hasn't. I posted my 6670 results while ago.

Great!

Is there any differences if the brand is ATI or AMD or Sapphire?

Thanks for your time

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Yes, if we wanted to "start over" and discard most of a $20-50M investment (I don't know the exact numbers) in the current driver... but where is the justification for doing that ? Going with gallium3d, for example, would just mean replacing our existing hardware layer (hwl) with a different one a bit further down the stack. Having the hwl further down the stack does make for a smaller and more maintainable hwl driver and allows relatively more of the upper level code to be common, but also tends to make performance tuning more difficult once you get out to the edges.

If we were writing new drivers from scratch (which AFAIK was the scenario VMware faced when writing gallium3d-based drivers for their emulated SVGA hardware) *and* were looking for a good compromise between maintainability and performance then using gallium3d would make a lot of sense. In the case of both AMD and NVidia, however, where workstation and gaming markets both require "every last scrap of performance" to win sales, going with something more specialized is usually the only option.

The key point though is that it's not "lack of use of open source code" that keeps the closed driver closed, it's the need to design it around non-Linux operating systems. We could make a closed-source driver using some open source code but it would still have to be closed source.
          Yeah that's what I thought. The original drivers are built for windows and mac I assume. At least mac is closer to linux, pretty much is.

What do you think about Gabe's / Valve's new gaming box? I bet that thing isn't open source either. Even if it is running linux. If the thing sells very well, ie beats PS4 and xbox, then we might see better Linux drivers?

Comment

Will Mantle help bridge the performance gap down the road?

Perhaps AMD's new Mantle will bring performance gains to linux gaming eventually? (Steam OS first?)
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              Perhaps AMD's new Mantle will bring performance gains to linux gaming eventually? (Steam OS first?)
              Only if:
              - it comes to Linux
              - You have a GPU with GCN architecture

Comment

First of all. Hi to everyone.
                I am visiting phorinix.com for some time now and it's really a great site!

Now the cause for finally registring for the forums:
                What am i doing wrong with my gentoo machine. Because when testing nexiuz and xonotic the fps don't come near the results of the phorinix benchmarks.
                But when booting Fedora 20 Alpha everything changes for the good. Even for tf2 and dota2.
                Currently i have mesa 9.2 and xf86-video-ati-7.2.0 running in both distros.
                Where is the bottleneck?
                Shure, i could switch over to fedora or whatever, but i like the gentoo way more.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoM View Post
                  First of all. Hi to everyone.
                  I am visiting phorinix.com for some time now and it's really a great site!

Now the cause for finally registring for the forums:
                  What am i doing wrong with my gentoo machine. Because when testing nexiuz and xonotic the fps don't come near the results of the phorinix benchmarks.
                  But when booting Fedora 20 Alpha everything changes for the good. Even for tf2 and dota2.
                  Currently i have mesa 9.2 and xf86-video-ati-7.2.0 running in both distros.
                  Where is the bottleneck?
                  Shure, i could switch over to fedora or whatever, but i like the gentoo way more.
                  What is your hardware (CPU and GPU)?

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
                    What is your hardware (CPU and GPU)?
                    Hi Asariati,
                    current setup:

GPU: Radeon HD5870
                    CPU: i5-3570K

Comment

I do not know what exactly was wrong, but since i updated mesa (on gentoo 9.2.0-r1) and the latest emul-linux-x86 (20131008) everything just runs as it is supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                      X