X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mannerov
    replied
    Originally posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
    Rebuilding it it's working fine for me now but there's still a bug with DRI PRIME and multi-GPU. Glamor is required to use DRI PRIME between an r600 APU and a radeonsi discrete GPU from what I've read but my radeonsi 7730M is being detected as r600 and DRI PRIME crashes X when used.
    If it hasn't been done, you should report the bug. I have an Intel hd4000 and an Amd hd 7730M, and it is detected properly (though I don't use ubuntu).

By curiosity, I'd like to see some logs showing the bug. It's hard for me to believe the hd7730M is recognized as r600 (yes both use the same DDX, but the DDX load them differently, so there shouldn't be issues).

Leave a comment:

• tjaalton
    replied
    Originally posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
    Yeah, GLAMOR library is finally in 13.10 but the radeon driver wasn't built with glamor support. Rebuilding it it's working fine for me now but there's still a bug with DRI PRIME and multi-GPU. Glamor is required to use DRI PRIME between an r600 APU and a radeonsi discrete GPU from what I've read but my radeonsi 7730M is being detected as r600 and DRI PRIME crashes X when used. I'm pretty disappointed in Ubuntu's package managing team for this screwup when all the code is ready to use, they just refuse to build it right. Can't wait for oibaf/xorg-edgers to start pushing 13.10 releases that have all the compile options set.
    any proof of this, like a bug on launchpad?

The driver was rebuilt with glamor support, and I heard it worked at least for someone.. don't have the hw myself.

Leave a comment:

• CalcProgrammer1
    replied
    Yeah, GLAMOR library is finally in 13.10 but the radeon driver wasn't built with glamor support. Rebuilding it it's working fine for me now but there's still a bug with DRI PRIME and multi-GPU. Glamor is required to use DRI PRIME between an r600 APU and a radeonsi discrete GPU from what I've read but my radeonsi 7730M is being detected as r600 and DRI PRIME crashes X when used. I'm pretty disappointed in Ubuntu's package managing team for this screwup when all the code is ready to use, they just refuse to build it right. Can't wait for oibaf/xorg-edgers to start pushing 13.10 releases that have all the compile options set.

Leave a comment:

• Zgembo
    replied
    OH, its13.10 package acceptance queue. Cool, so glamor might be there on release, but what about "--enable-glamor" in xserver-xorg-video-ati?

Leave a comment:

• Otus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
    What do you mean by "NEW queue" ?!
    Saucy will be delivered in October 2013. It will be designated 13.10.

Leave a comment:

• Zgembo
    replied
    It is not only that 13.10 is missing glamor package, but also xserver-xorg-video-ati ships without glamor being enabled. To make my card work I had to;
    1. Compile and install glamor packages from ppa:cybjit/ppa-glamor
    2. Re-compile xserver-xorg-video-ati with --enable-glamor and re-install

Well, this is not a big deal (at least one does not need to compile mesa), but seriosly, Ubuntu devs should get more serious about the issue, most recent major distros do support radeonsi by default, it is not that these cards are some kind of obscure hardware...

@ tjaalton:

What do you mean by "NEW queue" ?!
    Last edited by Zgembo; 14 September 2013, 03:10 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    You only use 3D acceleration, which is better than 2D.
    3D acceleration probably isn't problem, but OpenGL. Hardware acceleration of 2D graphics should be done without using OpenGL API.

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    There are Direct2D / DirectWrite and Direct3D on Windows. Firefox and IE are using Direct2D / DirectWrite and would use only Direct3D if Direct2D is unnecessary.
    It seems that Direct2D is library like Cairo and not part of graphics driver.

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
    There are Direct2D / DirectWrite and Direct3D on Windows. Firefox and IE are using Direct2D / DirectWrite and would use only Direct3D if Direct2D is unnecessary.
    Last edited by JS987; 13 September 2013, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mannerov
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Nope, for anything that has actual 2D hardware, 2D beats 3D-engine-used-for-2D. Radeons and Geforces haven't had such hw in generations, but most mobile chips do, for obvious reasons.
    Weston can use sprites optimizations.
    It is disabled by default for the drm-backend, because it is buggy on PC, but specific backends for mobile devices can use them.
    The rpi is faster on Weston than on X, because it has a specific backend that uses these optimizations.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by mannerov View Post
    Nope, for anything that has actual 2D hardware, 2D beats 3D-engine-used-for-2D. Radeons and Geforces haven't had such hw in generations, but most mobile chips do, for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X