No announcement yet.

RadeonSI / GLAMOR Support Still M.I.A. From Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm likely having the same problem as you guys. Using a trinity APU with the dedicated card turned off graphics output is fine, both with and without glamor enabled. If I enable the dedicated card and start X (with glamor enabled for both cards) I get a black screen, even with a composite manager enabled (xcompmgr and compton tested). Both the APU and the DGPU appear to work for OpenGL games, but nothing 2D works at all, and it's just overall fairly unstable as well in that I often need to restart X after testing a game. In addition, the screen tends to be left with the last output of an OpenGL game after exiting it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      I'm likely having the same problem as you guys. Using a trinity APU with the dedicated card
      What is your secondary GPU? I think we're actually encountering two separate problems. One with r600+r600 (which is what my desktop has) and one with r600+radeonsi (my laptop). With r600+r600 I get corruption while with r600+radeonsi I get either segfault or the discrete GPU failing to initialize. If it's a 76xx it's r600 but if it's 77xx it's radeonsi I think. I know my laptop offered several options that were 76xx and I chose the 77xx only to realize it was radeonsi and incompatible with crossfire and now causes problems on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
        Same for me: Brand new notebook with dual AMD GPU (HD8330+HD8550M) which are ideintified by KABINI(HD83330) and HAINAN (HD8550M)
        I don't know which is the trick, but I can only use HD8330 with a custom xorg.conf: with no xorg.conf I have a segmentation fault in xserver (like yours).
        CIK + SI ... radeonsi through and through ... you brave soul

Originally posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
        With r600+r600 I get corruption
        Tested this myself tonight. Like yourself, glamor is found to initialize properly on both of the r600 class adapters, but I too get correuption city. Switching back and forth from console seems to clear up a tiny bit of that, such that you can begin to make a few things out (such as a portion of the background wallpaper image), but the desktop (KDE) is still completely unusable in this state.

Comment

"The AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards launched in December of 2011"

Yeah, AMD (ATI) really supports Linux, sure! LOL! What a knee slapper.

AMD fanboys are idiots.

Both Nvidia and AMD don't support Linux (systems). You roll the dice when you get a newer (i.e. more recent) card. Nvidia has bad designs on their cards with Kepler as the 2D usage is a mess with tearing etc. and AMD support on Linux is a joke. I want to buy an AMD card but no support on the newer series for approx. two years?!?!!?? I suppose 2D and 3D is equally bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            "The AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards launched in December of 2011"

Yeah, AMD (ATI) really supports Linux, sure! LOL! What a knee slapper.

AMD fanboys are idiots.

Both Nvidia and AMD don't support Linux (systems). You roll the dice when you get a newer (i.e. more recent) card. Nvidia has bad designs on their cards with Kepler as the 2D usage is a mess with tearing etc. and AMD support on Linux is a joke. I want to buy an AMD card but no support on the newer series for approx. two years?!?!!?? I suppose 2D and 3D is equally bad.
            Your point is...?

AMD is at least working slowly towards support. nVidia is not, or at best is just now taking their first baby steps towards putting out documentation. Those are the only serious players in the gaming GPU industry, so compared to nVidia AMD is doing great. Are you seriously suggesting Intel is the way to go for gaming? If so you're undeniably insane, you can still get an r600-generation Radeon from 5 years ago that is now well supported and blows Intel's top offering out of the water. Intel just isn't there hardware-wise for serious consideration in gaming. Open drivers always have had a lag time after hardware releases since most of the development team has to buy the hardware after its public release, not given to them ahead of it.

Comment

Yeah, GLAMOR library is finally in 13.10 but the radeon driver wasn't built with glamor support.
              Hmm, is this still the case? Seems like it isn't, but just trying to make sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                Hmm, is this still the case? Seems like it isn't, but just trying to make sure...
                Nope, not the case anymore. The latest packages definitely have glamor support enabled.

Comment

Nope, not the case anymore. The latest packages definitely have glamor support enabled.
                  Has anyone else confirmed this? I can't seem to get glamor to work. I even tried compiling it myself and X fails to start.
                  I'm not sure what im doing wrong or where the correct place to submit a bug report is.

EDIT: I should also mention that from the Xorg.0.log it does appear that glamor and glamoregl are being loaded, which means that glamor is enabled. But there still appears to be an issue with glamor.

This is taken from the end of my Xorg.0.log after X fails to start.
                  Code:
                  Fatal server error:
                  [     5.190] (EE) (EE) BUG: triggered 'if (f[f_idx])'
                  [     5.190] (EE) BUG: ../../os/log.c:464 in pnprintf()
                  [     5.190] (EE) Unsupported printf directive '#'
                  [     5.190] (EE) 
                  [     5.190] (EE) Backtrace:
                  [     5.190] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x3d) [0x7fd129f7602d]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (LogVMessageVerbSigSafe+0x87d) [0x7fd129f818ad]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 2: /usr/bin/X (FatalError+0xd5) [0x7fd129f81b75]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglamor.so.0 (0x7fd126151000+0x25caf) [0x7fd126176caf]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglamor.so.0 (0x7fd126151000+0x25e0e) [0x7fd126176e0e]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglamor.so.0 (glamor_create_pixmap+0x298) [0x7fd1261551c8]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7fd123a38000+0x4ba33) [0x7fd123a83a33]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglamor.so.0 (glamor_glyphs_init+0x16d) [0x7fd12615cdcd]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7fd123a38000+0x4b5f8) [0x7fd123a835f8]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 9: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7fd123a38000+0x4444e) [0x7fd123a7c44e]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 10: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd129dd4000+0xc6bde) [0x7fd129e9abde]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 11: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd129dd4000+0x44426) [0x7fd129e18426]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 12: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7fd127b10de5]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 13: /usr/bin/X (0x7fd129dd4000+0x448af) [0x7fd129e188af]
                  [     5.190] (EE) 
                  [     5.190] destination is framebuffer incomplete: unsupported [%#x]
                  [     5.191] (EE) 
                  [     5.191] (EE)
                  Last edited by Nimbrant; 20 October 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_K View Post
                    Tested this myself tonight. Like yourself, glamor is found to initialize properly on both of the r600 class adapters, but I too get correuption city. Switching back and forth from console seems to clear up a tiny bit of that, such that you can begin to make a few things out (such as a portion of the background wallpaper image), but the desktop (KDE) is still completely unusable in this state.
                    Just saw a recent X log of a person using intel + SI(glamor) and it was error free. No info on any screen corruption issues.

But it would be good to know if, say, intel(glamor) + radeon(SI or r600)(glamor) borks too.

Comment

Turns out I had some old libdrm_radeon and mesa libGL files being loaded from a manual install a while ago.
                      I compiled glamor from git but the packaged glamor would probably work fine.

I am using a radeon 7750 with ubuntu 13.10 and gnome3. I haven't done much besides open a browser to write this post, but I will give an update if I notice any screen corruption.

Code:
                      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE
                      OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.1
                      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Comment

Working...
                      X