Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R600 Gallium3D MSAA Performance Update

Phoronix: Radeon R600 Gallium3D MSAA Performance Update

It's been a while since last checking out the multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA) performance of the open-source Radeon Gallium3D driver. However, with the recent release of Mesa 9.2, here are new benchmarks of the MSAA Radeon Gallium3D performance from three different AMD graphics cards on Xubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 on my Radeon 4850 (core i7 2.8GHz, 12 Gb RAM) the last week and the performance is waaaaay below the one on Windows. But it's actually playable if I lower the resolution to 1680x1050 and set all the detail settings to Low.
    Could we possibly get some benchmarks on L4D2? Either on different AMD cards, or a comparison with Windows, or Catalyst/FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 on my Radeon 4850 (core i7 2.8GHz, 12 Gb RAM) the last week and the performance is waaaaay below the one on Windows. But it's actually playable if I lower the resolution to 1680x1050 and set all the detail settings to Low.
      Could we possibly get some benchmarks on L4D2? Either on different AMD cards, or a comparison with Windows, or Catalyst/FOSS.
      IMHO the use of the phoronix benchmarks is very limited. Why no Unigine? Why no HL2: Lost Cost? Why not a single steamgame? Because its not Open Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        IMHO the use of the phoronix benchmarks is very limited. Why no Unigine? Why no HL2: Lost Cost? Why not a single steamgame? Because its not Open Source?
        I don't think that's the issue, since Michael has previously mentioned the fact that Valve was going to add the possibility to run pre-defined demos (scripted sequences) from the command prompt. That's what he needs for being able to automatically run the benchmarks. Doom 3 is used every now and then, but that is open sourced so I guess that's not a good example.

Comment

He does run Unigine when possible, but the Unigine benches are buggy (not GL spec compliant) and so don't run on mesa without the app-specific workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            so don't run on mesa without the app-specific workarounds.
            Which are bundled with mesa itself.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yeah, and not necessarily installed by packages.

Hell, I install from source and I don't install them either. Screw workarounds, fix the culprits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Why no HL2: Lost Cost? Why not a single steamgame? Because its not Open Source?

No: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxMzY
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

You should put a link to that in big bold letters with magenta highlighted text on the first and last page of every GPU benchmark article.

Comment

What is the technical reason behind 2x/4x and 6x/8x being almost identical in performance for a few scenarios?

Also, while the benchmarks show the performance hit, what do we gain? A screenshot of each MSAA level for a particular frame and then creating a gif that cycles through these levels: 0x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 0x, ... is highly welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X