Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Git Repository For ATI Driver Packaging Scripts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Git Repository For ATI Driver Packaging Scripts?

Hello,

I am trying to gauge the interest of having a publicly accessible git repository for the ATI/AMD fglrx packaging scripts (these are the scripts that allow you to build distribution-specific packages through the --buildpkg command).

What this means is that you could more easily access new packaging scripts that may not be available at the time the driver ships. For instance, with 8.42 and the Ubuntu packaging script bug that's causing havoc for x86_64 users. Through a public git repo you could easily fetch the new scripts. It would also make it easier for you to fetch kernel patches if they appear with a script after the fact. You could also get updates for packaging scripts in older drivers by checking out of the respective branch.

By writing a simple script, you could also create a pretty seamless experience to use these updated packages. It could also potentially get more distributions to create and submit fglrx packaging scripts.

The ATI packaging script maintainers would be committing their new scripts to this repository and in turn its where AMD would be pulling from for their new releases. However, this won't be done if there is no end-user interest.

So who would like to see a public git repo for the fglrx scripts?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Comment

It can't hurt, it can only do good so I say go for it.

Comment

It would be enough already to just post updated scripts on the forums like Phoronix, you've posted the new Ubuntu/Debian scripts somewhere in here, but I mean you don't find it if you don't know where it is.

My opinion.

Comment

wrong question - everybody would.

So who would like to help create install scripts for submission to a public git repo for the fglrx scripts?
          good question

Comment

I would welcome a public repository.

Comment

bump for great idea

Comment

yes, please. I would love a repository. I have not been able to create packages for 8.41 and 8.42 on Mandriva because the scripts that exist don't work. I am basically stuck at 8.40, which isn't necessarily bad, but I want to use new drivers.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  /me raises his hand...

Comment

Michael, that's great idea.
                    Btw. could you ask AMD/ATI if they could release for public beta releases if their drivers for public to catch most bugs before they will release final builds?

Comment

Working...
                    X