radeon-profile: tool for changing profiles and monitoring some GPU parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Just updated to Disco Dingo and finally got around to compile the latest radeon-profile + daemon. Everything seems to work fine. Overclocking, fan control, etc. However, I have been experiencing and odd issue.
    After a while (seems random) radeon-profile sort of stops working. The overclock and fan control tabs become greyed out and the program no longer reads frequencies. At this point the fan returns to the default profile but my overclock seems to stay active. The only way to get it working again is exiting the program completely and launching it again.

Edit: Ran radeon-profile through a terminal and monitored it until it failed. All I get in the terminal is a bunch of the following entries:

Unable to open "/sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1" to write "214"

The overclock and fan control tabs are greyed out, and so are the power profile buttons at the side. It does read the gpu frequencies and everything else, but the fan returns to its default profile.

Hi, this issue is tracked here: https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile/issues/123

Comment

• what does "Using daemon as data provider" do?

Comment

• Originally posted by marazmista View Post
        Thanks. Compiled the new version and testing it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by charkoteow View Post
          what does "Using daemon as data provider" do?
          There are two ways to read card clocks. One is using system calls (ioctl) and the other one is reading file from debugfs. Most of the time debugfs access is restricted and normal user cannot read it. When you enable that option, daemon read values from debugfs file (since it runs as root) and send contents of it to the radeon-profile where values are displayed.

Comment

• I'm stuck with the installation of radeon-profile and need some help
            So far everything worked fine and I was able to compile it. So usually I should be able to start it by typing radeon-profile to the terminal? However, this does not work, it just says "No such file or directory".
            So far I always used the version from gogo and installed by apt install, but the version is outdated. Therefore I tried to compile a newer one.
            I am using Pop OS 19.04 (based on Ubuntu 19.04). But I also tried it in Ubuntu 19.04 and 18.04 and it did not work. Maybe it is just me?

This is what I get when I do "make": https://textuploader.com/1dt60 (sorry for the link but the text ist too long for the forum).

Comment

• Provided you are not getting any errors on compile, the resulting executable will be inside a new folder named "target", so cd into that folder and run radeon-profile. You will need to run it as root unless you also compile the daemon.

Comment

Provided you are not getting any errors on compile, the resulting executable will be inside a new folder named "target", so cd into that folder and run radeon-profile. You will need to run it as root unless you also compile the daemon.
                Thanks, now i found it...

Comment

• Is it something similar to MSI Overdrive?

Comment

• Sort of. It's basically a gui that lets you overclock, create fan curves, monitor frequencies/temperature, generate graphs, and run executables with environment variables. Most of it is simple and self explanatory, but a few of the functions you have to configure yourself.

Comment

Sort of. It's basically a gui that lets you overclock, create fan curves, monitor frequencies/temperature, generate graphs, and run executables with environment variables. Most of it is simple and self explanatory, but a few of the functions you have to configure yourself.
                      - Does it need a kernel parameter like Wattman?
                      - My GPU can use up to 155W. Why the sw has a maximum of 115 W ?
                      - If I set something it will be stored even after reboot?

Comment

Working...
                      X