No announcement yet.

radeon-profile: tool for changing profiles and monitoring some GPU parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris, I looked into your solution and pushed it into 'rp-prime' branch. Test it if you can, maybe it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
      Chris, I looked into your solution and pushed it into 'rp-prime' branch. Test it if you can, maybe it will work.
      Well, so far it does work, but disclaimer: I don't really know whether this is the correct usage of the DRI_PRIME variable.

Now the only thing that's left wrong is the "Driver: " output.
      Code:
          QStringList driver = grabSystemInfo("xdriinfo").filter("Screen 0:",Qt::CaseInsensitive);
          if (!driver.isEmpty())  // because of segfault when no xdriinfo
              data << "Driver:"+ driver.filter("Screen 0:",Qt::CaseInsensitive)[0].split(":",QString::SkipEmptyParts)[1];
      In case of PRIME the driver of the gpu that the x server is using to display stuff is not the same than the one that's used by radeon.

But that should be easy because when I start it with
      Code:
      DRI_PRIME=1 sudo -E ./radeon-profile
      then I get the correct driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Well, so far it does work, but disclaimer: I don't really know whether this is the correct usage of the DRI_PRIME variable.
        I found this (and forgot add it to my prev post): https://lekensteyn.nl/files/prime-instructions.txt
        At the bottom, in Test section is:
        Code:
        	glxinfo - should give Intel
        	DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo should give nvidia
        	DRI_PRIME=1 openarena should maybe work
        so I assume that if user want to run some application and use second graphic card, just pass DRI_PRIME and app use this instead what is set global in system. This variable is made for it, isn't it?

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        But that should be easy because when I start it with
        Code:
        DRI_PRIME=1 sudo -E ./radeon-profile
        then I get the correct driver.
        Ok, I modified it to pass DRI_PRIME to xdriinfo invoke just as it is done to glxinfo. I hope this will do the work, and finally I could merge it to master branch.

Comment

Yes, it's completely right now for me.

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
          I found this (and forgot add it to my prev post): https://lekensteyn.nl/files/prime-instructions.txt
          At the bottom, in Test section is:
          Code:
          	glxinfo - should give Intel
          	DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo should give nvidia
          	DRI_PRIME=1 openarena should maybe work
          so I assume that if user want to run some application and use second graphic card, just pass DRI_PRIME and app use this instead what is set global in system. This variable is made for it, isn't it?
          I meant the 1 in DRI_PRIME=1. What exactly does the 1 mean? Is it the Provider number you get when doing xrandr --listproviders? like "0" for "Provider 0: id: 0x82 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 9 associated providers: 1 name:Intel" because it says "Provider 0"? I'm not really sure and haven't found good documentation...

Comment

I merged it to master today.

Also, I added .desktop file to repository as requested some time ago. But I'm little confused what to put into 'Exec' section in this file. Since app need to be run as root 'sudo radeon-profile' works ok for me, but other users may use gksudo, pkexec... any suggestions?
            In this post mmstick posted little script for automatic installation radeon-profile in system. I modified it accordingly to handle .desktop file and icon:
            Code:
            ## Compile
            git clone https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
            cd radeon-profile/radeon-profile
            qmake-qt4
            make
            ## Install
            sudo chmod +x radeon-profile
            sudo mv radeon-profile /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile.bin
            sudo sh -c "echo 'gksudo /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile.bin' > /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile"
            sudo chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/radeon-profile
            sudo mv extra/radeon-profile.png  /usr/share/pixmaps/radeon-profile.png
            sudo mv extra/radeon-profile.desktop /usr/share/applications/radeon-profile.desktop
            ## Cleanup
            cd ../../
            rm radeon-profile -R

Comment

Maybe it has been answered already, the tray icon does not show up on my panel. Using Xubuntu 13.10. Nice program by the way. Using it on my laptop's old x200m. Will latter try it on the HD7850 in my main rig.

Comment

My mistake, I forgot to update the icons paths when I modified resources. Now should be good, thanks for pointing that up.

Comment

Thank you. Works perfectly now.

Last edited by Melcar; 27 December 2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Is there a way for this to not be run as root aka sudo? I added myself to the kmem group(gives access to /dev/mem), but it didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X