No announcement yet.

radeon-profile: tool for changing profiles and monitoring some GPU parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marazmista You accepted my (V10lator) first pull request.

BTW: I have some new ideas:
    • Restructure the codes into more files, this may get big and hard to follow.
    • Ask for the root passwort at start (if not already root) (important if you want to maniulate the .drirc file of the user later, for example).

For the second one I think some trick from TrueCrypt could work: Implement a CLI and/or daemon mode and use that with sudo. I got this from here: http://www.linux-forum.de/70118-post14.html - Another way might be to use POSIX capabilities ( http://linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities ) but I'm unsure about that. Maybe there's also a completely other way like creating a new thread with root rights (not sure if possible) and fetching the infos from there.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      [*]Ask for the root passwort at start (if not already root) (important if you want to maniulate the .drirc file of the user later, for example).
      Is that really necessary? Every user has its own ~/.drirc file.

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
        Is that really necessary? Every user has its own ~/.drirc file.
        Right now radeon-profile requires root rights for most of its actions. So it would modify /root/.drirc (or, as another example, itselfs config). So yes, I think it may be necessary for multi-user systems in a foreseeable future.
        Last edited by V10lator; 07 December 2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Updates for today:
          • configuration
          • monitor name/vendor in connectors list (thanks TAXI!)

Restructure the codes into more files, this may get big and hard to follow.
          Yes, I will do that in near future, code is coming up to 1k lines.

Implement a CLI and/or daemon mode and use that with sudo.
          I think Radeon-tray works this way.

Comment

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
            Updates for today:

I think Radeon-tray works this way.
            Owo, here I was browsing a thread that interests me and someone talks about my little program. =-)

How awesome is that?

I'll be sure to try your program after this.

Comment

yeah awesome

How about throwing your workforce together and making one program that can do it all?

I do not know however how much your programs overlap or if the code is compatible in anyway - its just a spontanious thought...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                yeah awesome

How about throwing your workforce together and making one program that can do it all?

I do not know however how much your programs overlap or if the code is compatible in anyway - its just a spontanious thought...
                I would normally be all over that. But Radeon-tray is a python program while radeon-profile is C++.
                I have never touched any C like languages, so as much as I would like to help, it's kind of out of my league.
                We can, of course, learn from each other's programs, which is kind of what we are doing. =-)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  It at least does show something in the GPU data text window but the whole gui is very sluggish and "hangy" and the content vanishes for seconds before being refreshed. Maybe you need to put some stuff for reading the values from the kernel in another thread.
                  Wow, much better now. Very good!

Now the only thing left to fix is that the glxinfo thingy runs for the intel gpu.
                  I'm not sure how to correctly find out which providers are configured at the moment...
                  But at least you can find all the indexes for the usage of DRI_PRIME of radeon gpus with
                  Code:
                  xrandr --listproviders | grep radeon | cut -f 2 -d " " | grep -o "[0-9]+"
                  Or better, of course, calling the randr apis directly, which might also provide some functionality to find out about the current setup...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    Wow, much better now. Very good!

Now the only thing left to fix is that the glxinfo thingy runs for the intel gpu.
                    I'm not sure how to correctly find out which providers are configured at the moment...
                    But at least you can find all the indexes for the usage of DRI_PRIME of radeon gpus with
                    Code:
                    xrandr --listproviders | grep radeon | cut -f 2 -d " " | grep -o "[0-9]+"
                    Or better, of course, calling the randr apis directly, which might also provide some functionality to find out about the current setup...
                    Hmm... correct me if I'm wrong. When you type 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' you see info about opengl capabilities of intel or radeon card, card selected by DRI_PRIME, or both? I don't know how to approach this problem.
                    From lspci it should get radeon card, because app filter output by "Radeon" (when you pointed this problem some time ago, the filter was just "VGA").

Originally posted by Stunts View Post
                    I would normally be all over that. But Radeon-tray is a python program while radeon-profile is C++.
                    I have never touched any C like languages, so as much as I would like to help, it's kind of out of my league.
                    We can, of course, learn from each other's programs, which is kind of what we are doing. =-)
                    C++ is not hard to learn for basic programming, and Qt has very good documentation for its c++ classes. But yeah, c++ is nothing like Python.

Comment

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
                      Hmm... correct me if I'm wrong. When you type 'glxinfo | grep OpenGL' you see info about opengl capabilities of intel or radeon card, card selected by DRI_PRIME, or both? I don't know how to approach this problem.
                      From lspci it should get radeon card, because app filter output by "Radeon" (when you pointed this problem some time ago, the filter was just "VGA").
                      Code:
                      $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                      OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
                      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
                      OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-f9cfe5c)
                      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                      OpenGL core profile extensions:
                      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-f9cfe5c)
                      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                      OpenGL context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL extensions:
                      $ DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep OpenGL
                      OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
                      OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
                      OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-f9cfe5c)
                      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
                      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL core profile extensions:
                      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-f9cfe5c)
                      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                      OpenGL context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL extensions:
                      If you look at http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...446#post378446
                      I tried to insert the DRI_PRIME variable into the environment of external processes, but it didn't work....

Comment

Working...
                      X