No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI X.Org Driver Brings New GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can only compare DirectX 11 on windows 7 pro with openSUSE 12.3.

And I am very happy with Catalyst 13.8
    Last edited by Gps4l; 07 August 2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
      I can only compare DirectX 11 on windows 7 pro with openSUSE 12.3.

And I am very happy with Catalyst 13.8
      If you arent running into any of its bugs then that's a good thing. It's just that your experience is extremely rare.

You obviously don't use flash or dual monitors or a compositor. You obviously don't need good 2d performance and you don't watch closely for 3d rendering glitches. If these things havent caught your attention or if they just don't bother you, then yeah, you probably do have a decent user experience. But regardless these problems exist and are so severe that most people can't deal with it.
      Last edited by duby229; 07 August 2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I was mostly referring to R600g since that's the driver most people get nailed with unless they specifically bought a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          If you arent running into any of its bugs then that's a good thing. It's just that your experience is extremely rare.

You obviously don't use flash or dual monitors or a compositor. You obviously don't need good 2d performance and you don't watch closely for 3d rendering glitches. If these things havent caught your attention or if they just don't bother you, then yeah, you probably do have a decent user experience. But regardless these problems exist and are so severe that most people can't deal with it.
          Flash is a piece of shit, but I do not blame amd for that. I just use flash to watch vids on websites, but on windows and linux, amd or nvidia, I have lost count on how many times I had problems with that.
          Fingers crossed, because at the moment it is working.

I do not see render glitches in games, and firefox is finally smooth since catalyst 13.8, without tearing.
          ( before because of games, I could not enable tearfree desktop, because it made the games stutter ) I could count the fps by hand...

When I first installed openSUSE on this pc, I was not happy, and started to regret, I had bought an amd card.
          When scrolling a webpage, it gave me flashbacks of the old days when you loaded "large" text documents from a floppy...

That last problem was fixed, about a year ago.

When playing Serious Sam 3, I had to lower the resolution, from 1680 * 1025 to 1280 * 800 to have the game run smooth.
          The grass, and the leaves on trees, and some blood spatter ( I think all semi transparent textures ) had issues.

But since Catalyst 13.8 beta all this is gone, I now run the game ( like on wndows DirectX ) at my desktop default resolution.
          ( I never really played this game on windows, but once copied some save games from linux to wndows, to see if it was my hardware, or the drivers )

One more thing I like to add, depending on the situation, I sometimes notice some, render issues, but I see things this like that in all games, also on windows, and also before when I had a nvidia card.
          I do not know how to explain them, but I think its about limitation of the game engines.
          To give and example, sometimes with things like smoke, you can see its not actual smoke, but a texture on a face.
          The problem with games though, they need to be rendered fast, and because of this they have to do some tricks instead of things like raytracing.

If you make static renders, you know how long its takes a pc to calculate them, which is not an option for games.

AMD phenom II X4 with 4 gig ram, HD5750 ( 1 gig ram )

When I encounter problem I do report them to amd. And they do seem to respond very, very slow, but they did fix the problems with Serious Sam 3.
          Thank you Valve, and thank you AMD.

With Serious Sam 3 one of the problems was, that croteam had used openGL functions, which were not yet supported by the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason8DF View Post
            I was mostly referring to R600g since that's the driver most people get nailed with unless they specifically bought a new card.
            It seems I was lucky, my vid card is the first series (hd5XXX) supported by the latest catalyst drivers.

I think amd should update their legacy driver too, but I am not very optimistic that will happen.

Comment

Working...
            X