No announcement yet.

Radeon DPM Is Fantastic For Power Use, Thermal Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news and great benchmarks Michael. I think you should pick colours that seperate easier from each other. It was impossible to read some graphs with those colours.

Comment

CPU governors where also reported as having some (sometimes dramatical) influence on Mesa/Gallium results.

Michael could You test it too? (radeon.dpm and ondemand/performance/conservative governors)

Comment

I have a AMD notebook, so this benchmark is very interesting for me. The battery will last more time. :-)

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It comes down to not having a good automated color picking algorithm.
        Well, I think a good way would be pre-select the colour like:
        - one line: black
        - two lines: black and red
        - three lines: black, red and green
        - four lines: black, red, green and dark blue
        - five lines: black, red, green, dark blue and dark yellow
        - six lines: black, red, green, dark blue, dark yellow and light blue
        - seven lines: black, red, green, dark blue, dark yellow, light blue and pink
        etc
        Of course less lines would be the better contrast, but it's just a suggestion.

Obs.: Michael, it would be good if you do some APU benchmarks using DPM

Comment

It would be even better if Michael moved from "server creates base64 image, dumb client displays it" to interactive stuff like on other professional web sites like e.g. net applications or gs.statcounter.com.
          I'm not a flash programmer but I'm doing some WebGL stuff (which IE will also support starting with IE11) and if Michael would like I'd help develop the interactive client side in WebGL for free, but this would require quite some changes on the server side too which he's unlikely to be willing to commit to since it's a one man show.

Comment

How much of the client base supports webGL? Is it over 10% yet?

Personally, I would never enable it even if my browser did support it - it's a huge security hole, while also allowing your browser to waste a ton of power mining bitcoins or showing some really shiny ad.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              How much of the client base supports webGL? Is it over 10% yet?

Personally, I would never enable it even if my browser did support it - it's a huge security hole, while also allowing your browser to waste a ton of power mining bitcoins or showing some really shiny ad.
              WebGL support: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE starting with v 11 and Opera is working on it.
              WebGL had security issues which were fixed including the WebGL specs which led Microsoft to drop the security accusations against WebGL and embrace it. It can waste a ton of power if the programmer is stupid - same is true for any other code in any other language.
              Firefox has one more solution for rogue JS scripts (WebGL is powered by JS too): it stops JS from executing on all tabs except the current one.

Comment

Aside from the graph colors, I really enjoyed this article, particularly this bit on page 3:
                The margin is quite small for how the Radeon HD 6870 performance was impacted with DPM enabled, plus the performance was already 200+ FPS, so I'm really not too worried. It's possible the performance could be negatively impacted if the Radeon DPM code is too conservative with its frequency scaling and takes too long to ramp up the clock frequencies, but that's hard to tell as there isn't any convenient sysfs/debugfs interface right now for being able to poll the core/memory frequencies in a real-time manner.
                I'll take your word for it about the sysfs/debugfs part, but at least I appreciate the analysis instead of the usual description of the graph results. More of this please! That's exactly what I expect from serious benchmarks.

Note: the text under the first graph on page 5 only reads "Unvanquished", is that a place-holder you forgot to edit?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  WebGL support: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE starting with v 11 and Opera is working on it.
                  That doesn't answer the question: browsers X, Y and Z may support it, but the question was about installed base. Are those supporting versions actually being used.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    That doesn't answer the question: browsers X, Y and Z may support it, but the question was about installed base. Are those supporting versions actually being used.
                    Were you born yesterday? Don't know how things work? Never heard about trade-offs and fallback solutions?

Comment

Actually this benchmark has a quite limited value. I know using one desktop base and just swapping cards was quite fast and convenient, but power management matters for notebook users.
                      This article answers the 2 questions how new DPM affects 3D performance and what is power usage/temps for near maximum load. What it lacks is answer for "how dpm is affecting battery life" and "how effective it is at downlcocking/disabling parts of gpu when they are not in use" questions.
                      Good PM code benchmark should report battery time , power consumption histogram and average power consumption under different loads (idle, light desktop usage, playing videos etc) on various AMD GPUs/APUs equipped lappys compared to Catalysts and FOSS driver with DPM disabled.

Comment

Working...
                      X