Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have Component Video working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdvaughan
    replied
    First I had read in another post on this forum that the 42.3.2 driver had TVOUT issues and that they had been fixed with the 7.11 driver.

As for the off color issues I believe that TVOUT forces the signals on the breakout cable (Component/SVHS) to an RBG configuration. The graphic hardware must be set to push a component video (YPrPb) signal (1080i, 720p ...etc).

What we lack is the information to "force" the fglrx diver to override the EDID information about the component video monitor and push a component video (YPrPb) signal. I think both of use have already tried turning "ignore EDID" options on but that did not help.

I suspect that your successful SVHS connection is limited to lower resolutions than your HDTV can display and probably only interlaced.

One day .... one day ....

In frustration I started to look at low priced NVIDIA cards, but I just cannot get my self to spend more when I can use this card so well under Windows. All the while cursing Vista when it interrupts my music or stutters my DVD video for no apparent reason. Functionality that work without a hitch under XP.

Maybe in the end reinstalling XP and forgetting VISTA and Linux is the answer until I need a computer upgrade or ATI straightens out its Linux act. I believe with just a little information from ATI we could get this component video working, considering that ATI states that compoennt video does work with these drivers.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Yep... if the colours are correct at boot time that sounds like a driver issue. It would be interesting to try the open source drivers and see how they work, since they may leave the hardware set up pretty much the way the BIOS initialized it...

We used to use a "smart dongle" with DIP switches that you could use to identify the resolution you wanted when running a component video display with no EDID -- without that, and without a GUI I guess it would take some careful modeline work to get the right resolution and timing.

Leave a comment:

• mutsu
    replied
    Thank you for the suggestion.

It is actually component video (YPrPb).
    It's built in to the MB. :-)
    I have it hooked into a receiver. I believe that I have it hooked up correctly. Well, more than believe :-) On boot it shows the correct colors for the boot screen and if I don't start X by default, the console screen shows the colors that I have set up for the LC_COLORS env variable. (Although the screen is distorted)
    It appears to be a thing specific to X.

However, I did try juggling the cables (hoping they mislabeled the connections) but to no avail. I'm going to stick with the SVHS cable until the next iteration of the drivers.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but component is not RGB, it's YPrPb or something like that -- luminance plus a couple of colour differences. Are you hooking it up to an RGB display or a "component as the home theater folks define it" display ?

If you hook a component out signal to an RGB monitor and have Y connected to blue, and if the sync works (I thought sync was normally on green) you would get a blue display.

Again, just guessing here.

Leave a comment:

• mutsu
    replied
    update.
    Color is fine with a SVHS cable.
    It must be just component out that has issues.

Leave a comment:

• mutsu
    replied
    New driver update (7-11)

Plus:
    Yay, I have tv out through component cables. :-)
    Minus:
    It's only blue in X. lol

At the console, I get a distorted screen with color, in X (using fluxbox) it shows up with out the RG portion of RGB.

When I get a chance, I'm going to try the other cable types and see if there is a difference.

Either way, progress is good. (If there are any ATI folks reading this, Thank you.)

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    Thanks for the information and any you get through the driver feedback submission.

Actually the postings I made in this thread was from a driver feedback submission (8.40 at the time). I had previously looked at the other links you referenced.

I agree with you in not blasting a company when you are asking for help. I do not think it is too much to express disappointment though.

Right now I am in a hold pattern hoping ATI will add functionality to either aticonfig or Catalyst Control Center enabling component video even when an HDTV does not return EDID information.

Every few days I boot into Ubuntu with a monitor, apply any updates and tweek the configuration or functionality for my eventual HTPC environment. All in the hope of dumping Vista one day. It is like a race between Microsoft fixing Vista and ATI completing it's support of Linux.

Hopefully you get a better response than I received.

Leave a comment:

• mutsu
    replied
    update

In another thread someone made the comment that 8.43.2 seem to have a bug that disabled tv-out as it appeared to be working in the previous version.

I also sent back a message indicating that I wanted a bit more information.

The response was a bit more helpful and included the following links:

http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
    which contains the expected features.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page
    to which some of the engineers unofficially contribute.

http://www.rage3d.com/content/articl...00000000000000
    which discuss dual screen.

The last link is:
    http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/su...D=508&type=web

which is a Linux Driver Feedback link :-)

I have submitted information to them and am hoping for a response.

For all who submit, honey works better.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Leave a comment:

• rdvaughan
    replied
    Sounds like you are a little ahead of me as the aticonfig command like does not show any TV on my configuration.

I suspect that component video is not enabled unless your HDTV returns EDID information on its supported HDTV formats. Until that information is available the Catalyst Control Center will not support component video output.

This situation just kills me as I want to dump Windows Vista badly.

I can only hope someone posts the appropriate documentation or examples as I have requested or ATI extends the Catalyst Control center to be as capable as the equivalent on the Windows platform.

Leave a comment:

• mutsu
    replied
    I also sent a support case to ATI about getting component out to work an got the same cookie-cutter "go away" response.

I'm using a BI x1250 that has component out from the MB.

I have noticed that if I go to the ctrl-alt-F1 console the screen on my tv shows distorted information.

ati-config --tv-info also shows that the TV is connected.
    But if I run the same commands from inside X, It doesn't show the TV exists. Kinda weird.

If you happen to get any additional information, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X