Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previewing The Radeon DPM Performance On Linux 3.11

Phoronix: Previewing The Radeon DPM Performance On Linux 3.11

As promised, now that Linux 3.11-rc1 has been released, it's time for the new dynamic power management support of the Linux 3.11 kernel for AMD Radeon graphics. This first article previews the possible OpenGL performance gains for an AMD APU when enabling "DPM" for allowing the graphics core to properly re-clock based upon its workload.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do I understand it right? The open source drivers will be in a few cases faster the propertiary ones?

Comment

Really? This must be the most noninteresting benchmark I've ever seen!

Everybody already knew, that higher clocks get higher performance. Where is the power consumption graph? Where is the comparison to Catalyst? Did you set the old Power-management to powersave or performance (what clocks were chosen)?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
        Really? This must be the most noninteresting benchmark I've ever seen!

Everybody already knew, that higher clocks get higher performance. Where is the power consumption graph? Where is the comparison to Catalyst? Did you set the old Power-management to powersave or performance (what clocks were chosen)?
        Maybe that's why the article title started with "Preview".

Also, looks like Urban Terror is bottlenecked somewhere other than the GPU (or at least the GPU/VRAM clocks didn't make much of a difference).

Comment

Please bench a10-5800K because a10-6800k is way too immature to be interesting. Also please bench both LLVM and sb backends and don't forget catalyst (no need for 3.10, 3.11 with dpm off is enough). Pretty please?

P.S.
          Nice selection of benchmarks but please add heaven and left 4 dead 2 to the mix.
          Last edited by darkbasic; 16 July 2013, 11:51 AM.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Fantastic. performance temperature and wattage review versus catalyst will be exciting!

Comment

I think we have to give Michael more time to finish the benchmarks.
              I bet the final benches will be massive.

time to install steam and play dota 2.

Comment

Hurray to AMD! Power management patches ARE epic!

AMD finally got it right! I'm proud to confirm their "epic" power management patches also perform greatly on HD5000-based GPUs.

For me, HD5000-series desktop GPU with dpm power management is about 10C cooler than it would be "by default" without setting low power profile by hands. And no screen blinking on re-clock. And GPU goes up very fast, so heavy loads haven't degraded in terms of performance. Really noteworthy improvement!
                Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 16 July 2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

These are fantastic results, I'm delighted to see such huge performance improvements, roll on the ?ber-benchmark!

Comment

This can never be said enough: Thank you Bridgman,Tom, Alex, and anyone else involved in the OSS effort.

I've been recommending AMD products mainly because their OSS support, it feels great to be proven right. Going to test DPM on a laptop right now.

Serafean

PS : A special compliment goes to bridgman for concentrating on development and not on tweaking the old PM code. Taking the flak from all of us must have been a bit harsh

Comment

Working...
                    X