Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• try removing this:

Option "EnableMonitor" "lvds"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On"

and insert
    Option "DPMS"

in the monitor section (notebook should always have dpms included into the monitors).
    the lvds thing is not needed (i think) for running it on a notebook monitor and the other option used to break my xorg.
    i'm not familiar with gnome since i don't like it at all and the 7.04 has both xorg7.3 and xorg-server 1.4 and maybe also the 2.6.23 kernel, but i also don't know much of it since i personally hate ubuntu too.
    these options should fix the issue, but if it doesn't then i'm afraid that i cannot be of use for you. on my notebook work like a charm, but i have an older igp series board and not a quite new one.

I'll wait for official portage ati-drivers ebuild to update everything x again (ati-drivers blocking xserver and all) - I have been having an issue with transparent Eterms causing a few slowdowns which the changes to xorg.conf seem to have fixed, thanks! I rather expected a few things to act weird as I tend to use the unstable packages a lot, but getting everything top-notch again gives me something to do.
    you just need to downgrade xorg and xorg-server too 7,2 and 1,3 and ati drivers should work well. they should also work with 7,3 and 1,4 as state the release notes but i haven't personally tested it yet. as for the time of compilation, i hope that you've installed ccache with at least 2gb of cache, otherwise you'd be very sloooooow on upgrading/downgrading stuff. and on base packages as xorg or kdebase i also use the buildpkg feature of portage so that i can reinstall quickly the older packages if something doesn't work.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
      you just need to downgrade xorg and xorg-server too 7,2 and 1,3 and ati drivers should work well. they should also work with 7,3 and 1,4 as state the release notes but i haven't personally tested it yet. as for the time of compilation, i hope that you've installed ccache with at least 2gb of cache, otherwise you'd be very sloooooow on upgrading/downgrading stuff. and on base packages as xorg or kdebase i also use the buildpkg feature of portage so that i can reinstall quickly the older packages if something doesn't work.
      I've got it running with xorg-server-1.4 here and it is working fine. I didn't expect any problems that could be related to xorg-server-1.4, but I don't use AIGLX, so I don't know about that.

Just to inform you: I compiled 8.42.3 against the new kernel 2.6.24-rc1 (with current 2.6.23 patches) and it worked, so 8.43 should not only officially support 2.6.23, it should support 2.6.24 as well.
      I didn't really try it, because my network shows bugs and doesn't work.

Comment

• Just to inform you: I compiled 8.42.3 against the new kernel 2.6.24-rc1 (with current 2.6.23 patches) and it worked, so 8.43 should not only officially support 2.6.23, it should support 2.6.24 as well.
        I didn't really try it, because my network shows bugs and doesn't work.
        lucky you!!! i'm still with 2.6.22.... madwifi gave me an error some days ago when i last tried to compile it with 2.6.23 and since that is not an option i still stay with older stuff; i've seen today with the sync that there's a new version of madwifi so maybe i'll try out 2.6.23 and see what happens with it and with the ati-drivers.
        what patch do i have to add to the ebuild to make it work? (i remember to have successfully compiled the 8.40.4 without any patchset when i last tried 2.6.23).

I've got it running with xorg-server-1.4 here and it is working fine. I didn't expect any problems that could be related to xorg-server-1.4, but I don't use AIGLX, so I don't know about that.
        for this i don't know anything, since i don't use it, but if you say that you don't have encountered problem running it i might decide to try it out too.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
          lucky you!!! i'm still with 2.6.22.... madwifi gave me an error some days ago when i last tried to compile it with 2.6.23 and since that is not an option i still stay with older stuff; i've seen today with the sync that there's a new version of madwifi so maybe i'll try out 2.6.23 and see what happens with it and with the ati-drivers.
          what patch do i have to add to the ebuild to make it work? (i remember to have successfully compiled the 8.40.4 without any patchset when i last tried 2.6.23).
          For 8.40.4 there is a patch in the tree.

For 8.42.3, go to the bugreport read comment #40 and those that follow.

Comment

• Someone could please tell me how to get te suspend2ram working.
            I'm using Gutsy (amd64) with an ati mobility x700 and fglrx 8.42.3
            I googled around and found that the problem is related to the slub support of the fglrx driver (slub used by default with Gutsy).

I'd prefer not to have to recompile the kernel with slab...
            Last edited by willytax; 28 October 2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by willytax View Post
              Someone could please tell me how to get te suspend2ram working.
              I'm using Gutsy (amd64) with an ati mobility x700 and fglrx 8.42.3
              I googled around and found that the problem is related to the slub support of the fglrx driver (slub used by default with Gutsy).

I'd prefer not to have to recompile the kernel with slab...

There is no fix. Either you

a) Recompile the kernel using the SLAB allocator
              b) Downgrade to a kernel that uses the SLAB allocator (eg. some of the feisty kernels)
              c) Wait till ATI hopefully fixes it within the next driver. Or ... for many months...

That's about it. You can try some of the workarounds mentioned before, but from experience, they didn't work for me (and I don't even think they were addressing this particular issue: SLAB + fglrx)

Comment

• Re: ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64

Looks like this driver does not support the xv protocol.
                When running xine, I get the error:

video_out_xv: Xv extension is present but I couldn't find a usable yuv12 port.
                Looks like your graphics hardware driver doesn't support Xv?!

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by jd10008 View Post
                  Looks like this driver does not support the xv protocol.
                  When running xine, I get the error:

video_out_xv: Xv extension is present but I couldn't find a usable yuv12 port.
                  Looks like your graphics hardware driver doesn't support Xv?!
                  Looks like you don't have TexturedVideo enabled from your xorg.conf.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Looks like you don't have TexturedVideo enabled from your xorg.conf.
                    i have TexturedVideo in device section, but yuv12 is missing on my m56p

Comment

• Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
                      There is no fix. Either you

a) Recompile the kernel using the SLAB allocator
                      b) Downgrade to a kernel that uses the SLAB allocator (eg. some of the feisty kernels)
                      c) Wait till ATI hopefully fixes it within the next driver. Or ... for many months...

That's about it. You can try some of the workarounds mentioned before, but from experience, they didn't work for me (and I don't even think they were addressing this particular issue: SLAB + fglrx)
                      Finally got the suspend2ram work. I recompiled the kernel with slab and now it works like a charm .
                      In dmesg, after I resumed, I've these lines:
                      Code:
                      [   48.633608] [fglrx] firegl_gps_setpowerdown .
                      [    0.463238] [fglrx] firegl_gps_setpowerup .
                      [    3.430609] [fglrx:firegl_cmmqs_reinit] *ERROR* CMMQS reinitialization is failed.
                      but all works fine.
                      Hope the next relase (8.43) will support SLUB!
                      Last edited by willytax; 29 October 2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X