Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope the driver is good, going to try it today or tomorrow with my hd2600

Comment

• i've tried that think hwcursor to stop that desktop problem and it didn't was solved, i'm still have problems around my mouse and in the right corner of my desktop.
      i have an x700 mobile.

i'm getting tired of ati
      my next laptop and desktop won't definitely have ati cards!

Comment

• 8.42.3 is now up on ATI's download drivers page.

Comment

• I'm getting the following message when exiting X:

(EE) fglrx(0): [drm] failed to remove DRM signal handler

It doesn't cause any problems (far as I can tell) but I'm not exactly sure what it's about either. Anyone know what it's about?
          Cheers!

Comment

• O, I need your help. I've Ubuntu 7.04 on notebook HP NC8430, ATI X1600. I've installed 8.42.3 and 3d works but...
            1. on top left corner there is a random coloured single pixel row: it's a quarter of my screen and if I capture screen this row is not visible;
            2. when I switch to text console (CTRL+ALT+F1) the xserver crash and returns on login screen (GDM restart)
            3. If I start compiz the screen fills of strange colored pixel, if I stop compiz the screen returns normal (with top left strange row, of course: an example is here www.bizzarri.net/Schermata.png)

I've tried a lot of xorg.conf variatons but without any visible effect: latest Device section is

Section "Device"
            Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
            Driver "fglrx"
            Option "EnableMonitor" "lvds"
            Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" "0"
            Option "Centermode" "off"
            Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "on"
            Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
            Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
            Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
            Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On"
            Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
            EndSection

I've read a lot of post but I cannot figure if this issue is relative to my hardware or is a configuration problem...

Any ideas?

Regards,
            Claudio

Comment

• i've tried that think hwcursor to stop that desktop problem and it didn't was solved, i'm still have problems around my mouse and in the right corner of my desktop.
              i have an x700 mobile.

i'm getting tired of ati
              can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, what distro are you running, the kernel and if you run /etc/init.d/atieventsd at boot. maybe i can find out if it's a misconfiguration problem.
              ps. do you get this thing with the normal kwin/gnome decorator?

It doesn't cause any problems (far as I can tell) but I'm not exactly sure what it's about either. Anyone know what it's about?
              Cheers!
              how do you log in x?! startx or /etc/init.d/xdm? do you per chance have compiled and loaded the drm kernel module (lsmod | grep drm). that should not be the case and should not load with fglrx but you never know...
              ps. does it prevent you from working again normally after that error?
              Last edited by givemesugarr; 27 October 2007, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                how do you log in x?! startx or /etc/init.d/xdm? do you per chance have compiled and loaded the drm kernel module (lsmod | grep drm). that should not be the case and should not load with fglrx but you never know...
                ps. does it prevent you from working again normally after that error?
                startx - old habit from long ago.
                drm is not enabled in the kernel at all, and no modules are loaded.
                It does not prevent me from working again "normally" afterwards (i.e I still have a few things that go wrong - unable to load an opengl app first go; have to first open one, ctrl+c, then it all works just fine, but I did update to xserver 1.4 as well).

The following is reported from the x.org log:
                Code:
                (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
                (II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] Using the DRM lock SAREA also for drawables.
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0x13000
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
                (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00015000
                With the error line appearing only when I shut down X.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neo4 View Post
                  i've tried that think hwcursor to stop that desktop problem and it didn't was solved, i'm still have problems around my mouse and in the right corner of my desktop.
                  i have an x700 mobile.
                  This line in Device section of xorg.conf should repair this problems with mouse and right corner of the desktop:
                  Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

I had the same problem and this helped me - from two days I don't have this screen corruption.

Originally posted by Neo4 View Post
                  i'm getting tired of ati
                  I was hoping that ATI will fix most bugs but now I'm planning to buy Geforce 8600GT soon.

Comment

• It does not prevent me from working again "normally" afterwards (i.e I still have a few things that go wrong - unable to load an opengl app first go; have to first open one, ctrl+c, then it all works just fine, but I did update to xserver 1.4 as well).
                    i first must say that i still use xorgserver 1.3 since on gentoo the 1.4 is stil unstable, so it should still have some problems with deps or so. normally using it should do well, but you never know, so i've decided to remain with the 1.3.
                    if you now use the 1.4 i'd suggest you download and install the svn version so that you really have it fully updated and bugfixed, as for mesa and xorg-x11. if you passed to 1.4 pass also to xorg 7.3 and use for all of them the svn version. then reinstall the ati drivers after being sure that you use the 2.6.22-9 max if you use 64bit arch, or you'll have some problems. anyway, before doing this try setting the following options and tell me how they work for you. i'm really interested in knowing how an igp board behaves with xorgserver 1.4.
                    Option "CapabilitiesEx" "0x00000000"
                    Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
                    this should set the capabilities of the board to the default options with less stuff for the board to do, but with some more stability.
                    then remember: XAANoOffscreenPixmaps true, hwcursor on, and the videooverlay on. remember to also start atieventsd at boot, and look out for the signature, control and fglrxrc files inside /etc/ati.
                    then restart x after loading atieventsd and see what happens.

I was hoping that ATI will fix most bugs but now I'm planning to buy Geforce 8600GT soon.
                    if you don't really need it right now i'd suggest you wait for one or two months and see if the 3d part of the specs are released for r600+ series. if that would be the case buying an hd2600 would be better. as far as i've read about the radeon-hd the driver is progressing really fast.

Comment

• I'll wait for official portage ati-drivers ebuild to update everything x again (ati-drivers blocking xserver and all) - I have been having an issue with transparent Eterms causing a few slowdowns which the changes to xorg.conf seem to have fixed, thanks! I rather expected a few things to act weird as I tend to use the unstable packages a lot, but getting everything top-notch again gives me something to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X