Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With your current ebuild you might expect problems running 32bit apps, that use opengl, for example, if you run a game with wine.
    i didn't try that since i don't run games or wine apps. i'm quite ok with only linux and linux apps.

Then you sort of did what sabayon people did.
    well, they seem to have removed a lot of stuff. some things related to the fgl_glxgears, some things from the /etc/ati/ dir, and some other stuff. i only removed what didn't compiled and fixed the symlinking (that there was also there before in the gentoo ebuild for some dirs).
    about the distro thing: sabayon isn't the gentoo distributor. is an overlay and a sabayon distributor. so if you want a distributor for gentoo use the gentoo base repo. that's why i don't relay much on sbayon stuff. some things compile and work, some others do not. i personally like to use xeffects, gentoo and at last if none of the gentoo,xeffects compile and work the sabayon ebuilds.
    as for the soname, i've said that i think ati would correct the issue in the next release, since now it's out. in the meantime, let's hack the ebuild and have the driver installed....

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
      well, they seem to have removed a lot of stuff. some things related to the fgl_glxgears, some things from the /etc/ati/ dir, and some other stuff. i only removed what didn't compiled and fixed the symlinking (that there was also there before in the gentoo ebuild for some dirs).
      Doesn't build up confidence either, because it just needs sandbox-2.18.1-r1 to make that compile.

about the distro thing: sabayon isn't the gentoo distributor. is an overlay and a sabayon distributor. so if you want a distributor for gentoo use the gentoo base repo. that's why i don't relay much on sbayon stuff.
      I've never said that they are a gentoo distributor, but they call themselves a distribution and that means, that you test the stuff you push out.
      But I stop mocking about them here...

as for the soname, i've said that i think ati would correct the issue in the next release, since now it's out. in the meantime, let's hack the ebuild and have the driver installed....
      Gentoo people wouldn't do that. Of course in your local overlay you can do stuff like that, but in the official ebuild from gentoo I guess you won't see that.

What I tried to say is that ATI maybe should break their release cycle if trivial bugs are spotted that could be fixed by an updated package, or a extra file.
      I know that they did that once, why not do this more often?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phlogiston View Post
        I'm using gentoo with suspend2 patched kernel. Maybe you are missing a certain config line in xorg.conf. I will post it soon.
        I'm on Arch Linux too, and I can't get X to resume after I suspend as well. It freezes the entire system. I have a FireGL V5200 running Xorg 1.3.

Comment

• Originally posted by heng View Post
          I can confirm that the xv and gl video is watchable using xcompmgr over compiz. Its still buggy; it refuses to accept a transparency given by transset and if the background changes (e.g scrolling a web page behind the movie) then the video disappears (apparently replaced by the background) for a fraction of a second (much like the compiz choppyness). I wonder if the xv/gl stuff doesn't like compositing and compiz is more inclined to refresh background windows.
          Hi, can you please tell me how did you get the xv video working?
          When I try to use xv output with vlc it works only in pull screen...

Comment

this options seems to remove the screen corruption. after i've added it i have not experienced any corruption anymore.
            the other thing is that you seem to have to force the xv with the videooverlay and disable the opengl overlay. after that i had to set beryl from texture from pixmaps to copy and my fps have not gone down anymore. now i'm stable at 700-800 fps with every environment which is quite good.
            I tried setting XAANoOffscreenPixmaps and I thought it was working - no corruption for 8 - 10 hours, then I came back to my system after the screen locked, and it was there, big as life. Oh, well. BTW, I'm not running dual-head at the moment and I still get the corruption. So far, it's only very occasional, but still... issues like this seem more like something you would expect in a Beta, or even Alpha release.

Comment

• Screen Tearing

Is anyone else getting screen tearing on ATI? It used to be mentioned in the release notes, now it seems to have dissappeared but still be unfixed.

Any replies appreciated.

Comment

• I'm on Arch Linux too, and I can't get X to resume after I suspend as well. It freezes the entire system. I have a FireGL V5200 running Xorg 1.3.
                get back to 8.40.4 since the 8.41.7 and 8.42.3 don't support firegl. or pass to the opensource ati drivers. they should work quite well for firegl boards.

I tried setting XAANoOffscreenPixmaps and I thought it was working - no corruption for 8 - 10 hours, then I came back to my system after the screen locked, and it was there, big as life. Oh, well. BTW, I'm not running dual-head at the moment and I still get the corruption. So far, it's only very occasional, but still... issues like this seem more like something you would expect in a Beta, or even Alpha release.
                Hi, can you please tell me how did you get the xv video working?
                unset the opengl overlay with Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off" and force xv with Option "VideoOverlay" "on". that should do the trick. you'll have some speed loss in terms of fps but you'll be able to run beryl,aiglx, and have no tearing. or at least that's what is happening to me.

Doesn't build up confidence either, because it just needs sandbox-2.18.1-r1 to make that compile
                guess that me having -sandbox for the ati-drivers does compiles them. i've removed sandbox for ati when i tried to compile the 8.41.7. so now after removing it it seems to go well.
                by the way, i've just got sandbox-2.18.1-r2 stable on amd64.

I've never said that they are a gentoo distributor, but they call themselves a distribution and that means, that you test the stuff you push out.
                But I stop mocking about them here...
                maybe they only test id it does install on their system (which is not gentoo) so installing on gentoo may be different.

Gentoo people wouldn't do that.
                in fact the ebuild isn't out yet.
                Last edited by givemesugarr; 27 October 2007, 05:50 AM.

Comment

unset the opengl overlay with Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off" and force xv with Option "VideoOverlay" "on". that should do the trick. you'll have some speed loss in terms of fps but you'll be able to run beryl,aiglx, and have no tearing. or at least that's what is happening to me.
                  I've already done that modification to xorg.conf, in fact I've xv acceleration, but videos are watchable only in fullscren mode. When windowed (i.e. using vlc) the video is black. If i use X11 as output, videos are fine, but my laptop fan never stops (high cpu load)!
                  Obviously all works fine without compiz...
                  Sorry for bad english!
                  Last edited by willytax; 27 October 2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Obviously all works fine without compiz...
                    of what is written around phoronix forums it seems that this driver doesn't work fine with compiz. i've also experimented it but found it to be unsable... maybe we will be luckier next month.

Comment

of what is written around phoronix forums it seems that this driver doesn't work fine with compiz. i've also experimented it but found it to be unsable... maybe we will be luckier next month.
                      You're right...

Comment

Working...
                      X