Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hats off to AMD/ATI on this release.

I, for one, have to say that I am VERY happy with this release. I only recently entered the ATI/Linux arena when I bought my laptop, but I have used ATI products with windows for several years. Obviously, the performance isn't what everyone hoped for, I, personally, am VERY happy looking at the performance in Ubuntu versus the performance of the last ATI proprietary drivers. I don't play any games, haven't really since the original Unreal Tournament, so maybe that has something to do with it. I have, however, used compiz under feisty/gutsy, with both the XGL method and the proprietary drivers. Performance without AIGLX was mediocre at best. After doing a fresh gutsy install, on an AMD64, installing the drivers by building a package using the patch that Michael posted, then whitelisting the drivers for compiz use. Compiz runs better than ever on all aspects. With XGL and the xorg drivers effects such as burn on open/close, paint fire, and also water were horribly slow. Now, they look great and function extremely well. The video is, of course, terrible at fullscreen, but i'm positive it will be better in the next release. This driver is a HUGE STEP FORWARD for ATI, and they are proving that they have legitimate concerns about making these cards work in Linux. A fully working release is gonna take time, and I know a lot of people here have been dealing with workarounds to get their stuff working even halfway decent, but, also, ATI works pretty damn well in windows. One thing that I hate is the fact that I have to wait for Toshiba to release the updated drivers for windows, even though I have an ATI/AMD pc, but with Linux anything released will run on my lappy. I love Linux, the versatility is immaculate, I even bought an Asus WL500gP to run oleg's openwrt on. I've installed DD-WRT on several linksys's, but this was my first asus, and they are awesome. Anyways, i'm just saying give these guys some credit for what they do, and if you want to complain that hard, develop some decent drivers yourself. ATI's even trying to make the move toward open-source, which is only logical, think about it, if they release the source to the community, the devolopement will happen AT LEAST 5 times faster. Maybe people that are having major problems and aren't seeing any improvement aren't properly installing the drivers, I don't know. I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757 with an ATI Radeon Mobility X1200. I followed the tutorial from the ubuntuforums for installing the drivers from the package I built using the installer and the patch that Michael posted. Then I followed the ubuntuforum instructions for enabling compiz w/ fglrx. This was done on a fresh install of gutsy/64.

Comment

• Installed ok here, but something is not right:

Comment

• Dissappointed - Still major Screen tearing

Well the 8.42.3 driver still has major screen tearing, while there is almost 1000 more fps in glx gears, watching video is awful ,so it's back to the older 8.34 drivers for me as they have decent 2d performance. What a let down :{

Anyways, in case anyone actually uses this info to improve the driver somehow, I'm running an HP nc8430 featuring an onboard ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 and SLED10. Perhaps another distro would perform better or there's something I'm not doing, however considering I don't have problems with the older driver AND that ATI said screen tearing IS present in former release notes, I'm inclined to think it's a driver issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Comment

• Whoa, just went back to the ATI open source driver. Performance difference (with compiz) is like day and night. Heck, even HD video performance with compiz is pretty good with the open-source driver. And suspend is actually working there. If the open source driver didn't freeze X on this mobility X300 every few hours, I could actually stay with it.

I hope the AMD proprietary driver becomes as good as the open source driver soon (sounds like a joke)! Hopefully the next one will deliver some performance improvements and suspend fixes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
            More information would be helpful (or rather I should say needed) before we can even know what's wrong with your setup.
            Hello,

thanks for your care about my issue. I don't really know what I can give you!?
            The xorg.conf ? command line results ?
            I am using ubuntu 7.10, I have a laptop with a 9600 onboard. It works fine with ATI or RADEON drivers and under windows with offical drivers.

My xorg.conf is :

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
            #
            # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
            # values from the debconf database.
            #
            # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
            # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
            #
            # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
            # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
            # package.
            #
            # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
            # again, run the following command:
            # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
            Driver "kbd"
            Option "CoreKeyboard"
            Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
            Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
            Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Configured Mouse"
            Driver "mouse"
            Option "CorePointer"
            Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
            Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
            Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
            Driver "synaptics"
            Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
            Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
            Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
            Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
            EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
            Driver "fglrx"
            Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
            Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
            Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, AUTO"
            BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
            EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier "Generic Monitor"
            Option "DPMS"
            EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Default Screen"
            Device "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
            Monitor "Generic Monitor"
            DefaultDepth 24
            SubSection "Display"
            Modes "1600x1200"
            EndSubSection
            EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier "Default Layout"
            Screen "Default Screen"
            InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
            InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
            InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
            EndSection

Section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "1"
            # Option "RENDER" "1"
            EndSection

The result of fglrxinfo is :

display: :0.0 screen: 0
            OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
            OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series
            OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

Thanks for any help
            Last edited by jeffjoker; 25 October 2007, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Package Requirements

Anyone know why the release notes say that XFree86-mesa-libl and xfree86-libs are required? SLED10 doesn't have these included as far as I know and uses xorg and not xfree. Quick g' oogling shows they haven't been available since about 9.3.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliver View Post
                Hi, if this has been answerd before, i'll gladly (try) to read back.

I'm running this driver on an X1950Pro AGP and I get 'sluggish' performance. E.G. ET (not QW!) i get 110FPS at one point, but 20FPS by just looking around (empty server) and it feels more like ... 5 fps.

Wine (WoW) same thing, sluggish slow/fast mixed performance. Now the wine thing I may get, but the game run better 6 months ago on my 9500Pro on an Athlon XP (2.5Ghz barton, ~3400+) compared to my dualcore 2.4ghz Athlon XP (~4900+ *2) CPU load is very low (mostly if I use the ondemand gov. cpu speed stays at 1Ghz, though the performance gov. doesn't change anything).

Any thoughts/pointers?
                Thanks, oliver
                are you using compiz or not, if you are then try disableing it to run games, that may do the trick, the other thing may the problems with AGP and the drivers (but i thought they had resolved that with these drivers, or it may of been the open source version) all in all just try disabling compiz, u really shouldn't be having these problems though.

bullant

Comment

• Originally posted by kir? View Post
                  8.42.3 Tested on Slackware 12 + Compiz Fusion + Radeon 9600.

1) AIGLX is a TOTAL DELUSION. The fps is less than XGL. Firefox scrolling seems like a 286 dir command (on dos).
                  Radeon open source driver is better!
                  Same here on Gutsy, I'm totally disappointed by aiglx performance which is worse than what provided by radeon open driver

Originally posted by kir? View Post
                  Why did we wait for so much time?
                  Why did we believe to ATI?
                  Why -I- bought an ATI card?
                  I was just about to order a new ATI for my desktop, replacing a nvidia geforce4 4200ti, I'll go with a nvdia instead

Comment

• One Step Closer

Originally posted by lgoral View Post
                    Ok guys, I'm still having problems running compiz, even after trying all the solutions provided here.

I'm running Debian sid with Xpress 200M, xorg 7.3, compiz 0.5.2. I'm getting the same GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap problem many people here seem to have:

Code:
                    compiz --replace
                    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with direct rendering.
                    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not available with indirect rendering. Aborting!
                    The proposed solutions using LD_PRELOAD and LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT don't do a thing. Looking at /usr/bin/compiz, I see that it's a wrapper script for compiz.real. It first greps glxinfo for GLX_EXT_texture_from_bitmap and checks if it return at least three lines - no idea why! Checking glxinfo manually shows me that GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap occurs only twice. Anyway, if the above fails, the script exports LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true and tries again. If neither check succeeds, it exits with the above errors.

Now the fun part. I tried manually exporting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true and running compiz.real directly. This gives me a seg fault. Moreover, after LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true glxinfo produces the following instead of the expect result:

Code:
                    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true
                    glxinfo
                    name of display: :0.0
                    X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
                      Major opcode of failed request:  162 (GLX)
                      Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
                      Serial number of failed request:  16
                      Current serial number in output stream:  16
                    Any ideas?
                    I had the GLXBadContext Problem and after setting LIBGL_DEBUG to verbose I found out that it was looking for fglrx_dri.so in the wrong place. I symlinked /usr/lib/dri/fgrlx_dri.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so and now glxinfo, glxgears, fglrxinfo.. etc seem to work, unfortunately beryl and compiz.real give me the message still. I'm using debian Sid with Xorg 7.3,fglrx 8.42.3 and no matter what version of beryl or compiz/fusion I try to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by zasf View Post
                      Same here on Gutsy, I'm totally disappointed by aiglx performance which is worse than what provided by radeon open driver

I was just about to order a new ATI for my desktop, replacing a nvidia geforce4 4200ti, I'll go with a nvdia instead
                      I definitely agree, my next video card will be Nvidia too

Comment

Working...
                      X