Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gzahl View Post
    Did you enable compositing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    Thanks !!!
    Problem solved

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger View Post
      And if the performance increased with it, AND it added AIGLX, AND corrected some of the serious bug fixes, this seems like a huge step to me.

Of course they couldn't make a perfect driver out of nowhere. If it is slower than XGL, or it still have some serios bugs, but it is far better than the previous drivers and the difference from a driver to another.
      And, for me, 8.41.7 is far better than 8.42.3 - I don't care about Desktop Effects, and 8.42.3 is less stable for me than 8.41.7 (and I don't see a /massive/ performance increase for the new driver, either). Indeed, none of the things I care about have been fixed with this driver, and some of them are broken with respect to 8.41.7 and 8.40.4!

So, my experience is that this is a horrible driver, and this experience is just as valid as yours.

Comment

• amdcccle issues

Originally posted by spotman View Post
        anyone having any issues running amdcccle?

I had no problems with 8.40, but for whatever reason it just hangs upon execution with 8.42, never even paints a window, no error messages in terminal either.
        Yep, I have had the same problems as you. although at first I attributed it to the fact I was running slackware-current. but it has continue through the releases.

As you say, it doesn't output anything anywhere. it is running, it does not become a dead or zombie process, but there is nothing that comes to the screen.

No idea where to look either.

Comment

• How do I downgrade to xserver-1.3 in Ubuntu? I can't find that package anywhere.

Comment

• Does anybody know how to build the drivers on Fedora 7 64 bit?

Comment

• Originally posted by jackkerouac View Post
              How do I downgrade to xserver-1.3 in Ubuntu? I can't find that package anywhere.
              Ubuntu only uses Xserver 1.3. You don't have to downgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Well, I haven't tested 3D games yet, but even before 8.41, performance in 3D games for fglrx and opensource drivers were very different. I simply couldn't play even Warcraft III in wine, because most of the textures were missing. This makes something in fglrx better than opensource drivers.

And if the performance increased with it, AND it added AIGLX, AND corrected some of the serious bug fixes, this seems like a huge step to me.

Of course they couldn't make a perfect driver out of nowhere. If it is slower than XGL, or it still have some serios bugs, but it is far better than the previous drivers and the difference from a driver to another.

As I said before, it has started, now let the developers polish it to be better.
                screen corruption doesn't verify with 8.40. The new driver as said is an horrible driver. It added AIGLX but what can I do with flickering videos or unusable apps?
                It's like "yes, we added the support to aiglx only to make you wait for some year something that will not work!"
                I cannot use compiz
                I cannot use video players
                I cannot use opengl mame
                I cannot do anything I could do before the release.
                This driver is not a good work.
                Open source driver is a good work because without specifics they couldn't do better and for many things is better than fglrx.

Comment

• Originally posted by aljo666 View Post
                  Does anybody know how to build the drivers on Fedora 7 64 bit?
                  Not sure what your issue is? I just ran the executable as usual with previous drivers.

With changes as discussed in this thread in xorg.conf if you want to enable aiglx.

Worked fine out of the box. (Note that with previous versions I had to change a couple of things in Selinux - if you have it enabled.- You needed to "allow programs to read files in nonstandard locations. I have not checked whether this is still needed with the current driver.)

Comment

• Originally posted by cornelius View Post
                    Installed and running 8.42.3. I had to do a "ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1" to fix the missing libGL issue.

Problems:
                    • Suspend still doesn't work on Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu bug #121653, as the new SLUB allocator prevents fglrx from suspending.
                    • Selecting xv in xine crashes X (returns to gdm).
                    • Non-xv video (with TexturedVideo enabled) runs and is smooth, but it flickers a lot (in fullscreen too).
                    • Same for OpenGL apps.
                    • OpenGL apps and videos (with TexturedVideo) are drawn directly on screen, i.e. compiz can't zoom them or map them onto the sides of the cube while rotating, they remain on the screen in their original size/position.
                    • Getting occasional compiz freezes (with mouse pointer still moving) as in Ubuntu bug #108527 and in Compiz Fusion bug #524. After the freeze I was able to do Alt-SysRq-R and switch to a terminal to see compiz.real using 100% cpu (infinite loop somewhere?).
                    • Typing on gnome text-editor is really slow (holding a key pressed), while doing it on emacs-gtk seems as fast as before.
                    • Scrolling in Firefox is pretty slow, compared to when Compiz is not running.

I think introducing AIGLX support is a pretty big step for AMD, and hopefully we'll see it get better and better in terms of performance, right Michael?

BTW Michael, which of these problems can we expect to be fixed in next month's driver?
                    I get the same problem, although I haven't had compiz freeze one me.

One good thing about this driver is that before Linux Neverwinter Night was very unplayable (5FPS) and has now because VERY playable (50FPS). It actually played better than on Vista both in frame rate and the fact that environmental mapping on creatures WORKS in Linux. Very happy about that. Hope they can sort out the rest of the snag. I'm so close to be able to completely unload Vista...

Comment

• Well, I switched back to XGL because the performance was way better. It's great that they added AIGLX, but I think I'll wait until they fine tune it so it's ready for prime time.

I may even go back to 8.40.4, as the performance on my card seems to have been better with that driver than this new one.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the AIGLX, I just think it needs WAY more tuning to eliminate choppiness, video flickering, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X