Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toxigenicpoem View Post
    What chipset are you using? Its possible that your chipset MAY be on the black listed chipsets. Even after whitelisting the driver, I needed to remove my chipset from the black list to enable desktop effects.
    I am using intel X86 chipset
    and refer to this link to install.
    ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575843

Comment

• Hi

I got it installed under Gutsy with a onboard X1250. But i have logo on the bottom roght of my screen "AMD Testing use only, unsupported ..."
      And i have some Graphic problems. Mostly Green/Blue pixels. On the grey of this message editor for instance.
      :-(
      But better then nothing.
      Greetings
      Manu

Comment

• Originally posted by elite View Post
        Is anyone use Ubuntu 7.10?
        I was install the 8.42 driver for five times,
        but the desktop effects doesn't work?

Can someone give me a install introduction
        Open /usr/bin/compiz with a root level text editor and add fglrx to the list of whitelisted drivers (toward the top of the file) and make sure your card isn't blacklisted in the section that follows.

Comment

• Did you install the 8.42 driver successful?
          Could you list your install steps for me?
          Tanks a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by kir? View Post
            What BIG step? radeon open source works with things like compiz and xmame-opengl better than 8.42 and I don't remember I waited for radeon open source driver mornings and nights, 22 days. It exists since my first experience with linux, 1 year ago!
            Well, I haven't tested 3D games yet, but even before 8.41, performance in 3D games for fglrx and opensource drivers were very different. I simply couldn't play even Warcraft III in wine, because most of the textures were missing. This makes something in fglrx better than opensource drivers.

And if the performance increased with it, AND it added AIGLX, AND corrected some of the serious bug fixes, this seems like a huge step to me.

Of course they couldn't make a perfect driver out of nowhere. If it is slower than XGL, or it still have some serios bugs, but it is far better than the previous drivers and the difference from a driver to another.

As I said before, it has started, now let the developers polish it to be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by LucasG15 View Post
              For those that are getting flickering while watching a video, do you have compiz enabled? If so, try enabling vertical refresh in the ATI catalyst control panel.
              Under 3D -> More Settings -> Vertical Rerfrsh: I set the slider all the way to the right (Quality).
              Thanks. Tried that, but it seems to help only a little. I still have significant flickering in videos and OpenGL apps. Without Compiz running, it was already pretty good though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                Open /usr/bin/compiz with a root level text editor and add fglrx to the list of whitelisted drivers (toward the top of the file) and make sure your card isn't blacklisted in the section that follows.
                Thanks for you reply first!
                Do you mean to insert "fglrx" to this line
                # Driver whitelist
                WHITELIST="nvidia intel ati radeon i810"

after insert it looks like this

# Driver whitelist
                WHITELIST="nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx"

Comment

• Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                  I got this installed on my X1950 Pro AGP with a few problems:

Error in Xorg.0.log:
                  Code:
                  (II) fglrx(0): [drm] register handle = 0x00004000
                  (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.
                  (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f00421b bridge: 0x10de/0x00e1
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask   0x00000000
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f00431a
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Remapping MC AGP space (new MCAGPBase = 0xdc000000)
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocol is enabled for graphics board. (cmd=0x1f004312)
                  (II) fglrx(0): [agp] graphics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)
                  (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
                  I also got the warnings from AIGLX about 3D driver not supporting lots of visuals.

I noticed this message in dmesg:
                  Code:
                  ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC1] enabled at IRQ 16
                  ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> Link [APC1] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
                  [fglrx] IRQ_MGR is disabled untill GART_CACHABLE memory will be implemented<6>[fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f00421b (hardware caps of chipset)
                  agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
                  agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
                  agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
                  [fglrx] AGP enabled,  AgpCommand = 0x1f004312 (selected caps)
                  It looks to me as the driver is saying it doesn't (yet) support something that is required for IRQ interrupts. I might try and disable ACPI tomorrow and see if that helps.

On the positive glxinfo, fglrxinfo are telling me acceleration is on. ATI CCC is working nicely and tells me AGP is on at 8x (before it was 0x as the driver thought it was a PCIE card).

Video is slooow, 3D is slower than with 8.40.x too . Glxgears gives 600 odd fps instead of 1210.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting interrupts to work?
                  Been trying a few things to stop this error, no joy. I've tried disabling ACPI in the kernel but interestingly libata then failed to find my sata drives, kinda glad I save previous kernel builds .

I've heard of a bug with the nForce3 AGP chipset and dual-core setup so I tried disabling SMP just in case: it made no difference to fglrx.

I could try kernel 2.6.23 (on 2.6.22 atm) but I doubt any agpgart code got changed, I'm still thinking the fglrx kernel message is saying something is disabled till full support is added.

Comment

• Gutsy:

$fglrxinfo:
                    display: :0.0 screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
                    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.0.6958 Release)

$compiz:
                    Checking for Xgl: not present.
                    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 1002:7145 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
                    Checking for non power of two support: present.
                    Checking for Composite extension: not present.
                    aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

How can i get compiz to work?
                    thanks in advance

Comment

• $compiz:
                      Checking for Xgl: not present.
                      Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 1002:7145 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                      Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
                      Checking for non power of two support: present.
                      Checking for Composite extension: not present.
                      aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

How can i get compiz to work?
                      thanks in advance
                      Did you enable compositing in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Section "Extensions"
                      Option "Composite" "Enable"
                      EndSection

Comment

Working...
                      X