Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was intending to play wow on my ubuntu too, but your post just stopped me
    I hope this kind of issue will be patched with the main official release.
    I am really looking forward to reinstall my Laptop without Windows as WoW is the only software keeping that shitfull expensive non secure... OS (if it can be called this way) alive on my computer.
    I do not intend to use Cedega as it is not free, but Wine. I will start looking for good how to's as soon as the 3D support and AIGLX are working fine together.

As for the installation, if anyone here knows a good doc to read, please do submit.

Comment

• When I'm home from work today I'll test some more with WoW, Cedega and 8.43 to see if I can resolve these problems. I know it's possible. I'll let you know.

Comment

• I successfully got 8.42.3 working on Ubuntu 7.10 and was about to try out compiz-fusion, when I saw that it messed up Ooo Writer of all things. It made Ooo redraw its window incredibly slowly, so that scrolling inched along and pulling down menus had a substantial delay. I use Ooo Writer way too much to put up with this. I went back to 8.40.4 and everythings fine. Hopefull 8.43 will be more solid.

Comment

• i downgraded to xorgserver 1.3 and compiz is starting..
          but it's writing errors about some handler and stuff, a lot of artefacts, and it's very slow (but yes, there is a cube, even rotating)

what can i do with this?

Comment

• compiz log
            [23:09:56] Checking for Xgl: not present.
            [23:09:56] Checking for FBConfig: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
            [23:09:57] Trying again with indirect rendering:
            [23:09:57] Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for copy texture support: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for Intel: not present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for non power of two support: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for Composite extension: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for XDamage extension: present.
            [23:09:57] Checking for XSync extension: present.
            [23:09:57] Detected 1 screen(s)
            [23:09:57] Checks indicate compiz should work on your system
            [23:09:57] Found KDE desktop environment running...
            [23:09:57] Found running windows manager: kwin
            [23:09:57] Setting fallback windows manager to kwin
            [23:09:57] Loading the ccp settings interface
            [23:09:57] Exporting: LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 KDEWM=/usr/bin/compiz
            [23:09:57] Executing: /usr/bin/compiz.real --ignore-desktop-hints --force-fglrx --replace --sm-disable --indirect-rendering ccp

everyting seems to be ok, but still what is the problem?..

Comment

• I got 8.42.3 to work on Ubuntu 7.10 (x64), with compiz-fusion.

System is a Core 2 Duo E6750 with 2GB ram and a X1950 Pro video card. Scrolling in Opera is somewhat slow (turning off smooth-scrolling helps), and the window minimize effect is a little choppy, but no problems apart from that! Writer works ok too (no redraw problems).

Getting 3d acceleration instead of mesa was a bit of a pain, but this is how I got it to work:

-1) Install the necessary tools:

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get install module-assistant build-essential fakeroot dh-make debhelper \
              debconf libstdc++5 linux-headers-generic

0) Download the driver in a folder with latin characters only (no spaces etc etc)! Open a terminal and head to that folder.

1) chmod +x ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run

2) ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --extract fglrx

3) Download the archive linked to by Michael in the 10th (or so) page of this topic - it's in the first post of that page. Extract its contents in the fglrx folder, overwriting when prompted.

4) Run ati-installer.sh --buildpkg Ubuntu/7.10

5) Continue using the instructions in http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide starting from the string "Blacklist old fglrx module from linux-restricted-modules:"

Comment

• report for my mobility x1600 m56 on nc8430

- XV is still broken, diagonal tearing
                - video playback crashed Xserver once
                - "garbage" in lower right, around mouse cursor AND new one, upper left corner
                - DualHead is working now OK for me
                - TV out is not detected any more
                - AIGLX is working, but it is sooooooo slow
                - 3D park is workig OK,i guess... ET:QW is running fine
                - 2D-desktop performance is still worse than with avivo/radeonhd
                - amdcccle crashed few times

mile@ubuntu:~$ amdcccle
                Segmentation fault (core dumped)

(gdb) bt
                #0 0xb7d7d454 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                #1 0x0007de21 in ?? ()
                #2 0x07383353 in ?? ()
                #3 0xb7f07ff4 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                #4 0xb7d7b5b0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                #5 0xb7eb7ac0 in ?? ()
                #6 0xbff6d290 in ?? ()
                #7 0xb7ef9e73 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                #8 0xb7d7d58a in XRRGetScreenInfo () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                #9 0x081611df in CDisplayDriver::GetResolutionList()
                #10 0x08187229 in CDisplayRule::GetDriverData ()
                #11 0x08185ec7 in CDisplayRule::Initialize ()
                #12 0x081554fc in CLDC::Initialize ()
                #13 0x08153e04 in main ()

long way to go for proper drivers....

Comment

• well....

the baby is born, alright, now it needs to walk, talk, and grow up.
                  On Fedora7 x64 platform with an integrated RS485 (hp nx6325 laptop):
                  - the RPM building method doesn't work of course (that's actually a step back, previous versions at least built ok)
                  Generating package: Fedora/F7
                  mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.42.3-1-6283-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.42.3/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*': No such file or directory
                  mv: cannot stat `/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.42.3-1-6283-root/BUILD/ATI-fglrx-8.42.3/usr/X11R6/lib/*.so.*': No such file or directory
                  - one tiny step forward, that with the normal installation the driver actally builds, and doesn't need any patches to load up (hooray, I guess.... )
                  - X launches, and I already notice a missing 'detail': my brightness key-combinations don't work anymore...
                  - first test, that is an important feature for me: SUSPEND! . Result: if the fglrx module is loaded , it just hangs at the final stage, without the possibility of resuming. Power it off and back again: now THAT is useful, innit....
                  - second most important test: switching to console mode, and then back again to X. Result: a nice messed up screen (some might call it even art!), and complete freeze.

So in the end, who the hell needs hundreds of FPS, and all sorts of direct rendering, etc, if the driver can't handle these basic things, and freezes. Priorities, ATI, check your priorities!!

Oh and it's worth mentioning, that the original xorg driver, that provides no 3D acceleration for this type of card that I have, does everything else just fine, and it's stable as a rock.

p.s. small advice, do NOT commit the same mistake I did: to buy a laptop with an ATI card in it. (or anything that comes from ATI for that matter)

Comment

• forgot to mention...suspend does not work

Comment

• Does anyone know why 8.42.3 isnt already released on the amd driver page?
                      Maybe they are ashamed to release such a crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X