Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good so far, time to put it through it's paces.

Comment

• so .. i still have 8.40 running ... and im not having terrible issues .. is this worth my time ?

i have a x1600 mobility card .. the ati website still lists 8.40 .. ive seen a couple people having problems getting compiz fusion to start using AIGLX .. whats up with that ?

Comment

• For those that have problems with games that are not starting or Compiz not working. There are known bugs with Xserver 1.4 / Xorg 7.3. If a game/opengl app is not starting, go to VT1, "killall <application>", go back to X and start the application/game again.

Comment

• turion 64, gentoo with x86_64 amd 64 multilib environment with 2.6.22-r9 (since 2.6.23 is not recommended for 64bit environments due some issues that i don't know), x200m. after symlinking manually the /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so.1.2 now the driver works out quite fine. i get a boost from about 300 fps (glxgears) with 8.40.4 to about 1800 fps with 8.42.3 and to 1600 - 1700 with aiglx enabled. now i'm currently trying out compiz-fusion 6.0 with base compiz from svn to make sure that i have the right version for the know bug with compiz 0.3 (i don't really know what it is).
          i'll try this days also the new xorg-server/xorg to see how this works.

Comment

• Originally posted by pedepy View Post
            so .. i still have 8.40 running ... and im not having terrible issues .. is this worth my time ?

i have a x1600 mobility card .. the ati website still lists 8.40 .. ive seen a couple people having problems getting compiz fusion to start using AIGLX .. whats up with that ?
            well, AIGLX is running fine (Im using xfce compositing right now), its just compiz that doesnt work (for some of us, mainly on 64bits arch), as stated before.

Comment

• Now working for me (Gentoo 32bits, compiz-fusion-6.0)

Edit /etc/xdg/compiz/compiz-manager and change the path to libGL:
              Code:
              COMPIZ_BIN_PATH="/usr/bin/"
              PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/compiz/"
              LIBGL_NVIDIA="/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/libGL.so.1.2"

# Fix 8.42.3 Ati driver.
              #LIBGL_FGLRX="/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/libGL.so.1.2"
              LIBGL_FGLRX="/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11[B]/lib/[/B]libGL.so.1.2"

KWIN="/usr/kde/3.5/bin/kwin"
              METACITY=""
              SKIP_CHECKS="yes"

Comment

• With Gutsy and the x1600 mobility with 256 Mb Compiz seems to be a little bit sluggy...Xgl was smoother Maybe something to tweak? Compiz buggy? AIGLX buggy? Who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by oaul View Post
                  After installing 8.42 on debian etch, wine 0.9.47 no longer starts:
                  Not sure if this still relates, but in an FAQ for a previous release, I came across this:

"If you plan to run Wine, you will need to tell fglrx to not corrupt the fs register. To do this, add the line:
                  Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
                  to the "Device" section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This supposedly causes about a 10% hit in opengl benchmark scores, but at least things don't crash. "

Hope that helps.

Comment

• For all of you who wants to use Kernel 2.6.23, Mlau has wrote a patch for the driver that works for him and me.

Greetings to AMD, it's a greate release. ETQW runs with acceptable speed now (Radeon x850xt) and AIGLX + Compiz-Fusion is working (Etch + Compiz-Fusion SVN http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=11 )
                    Last edited by dopehouse; 23 October 2007, 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo in tuxfamily.org address

Comment

• Just a small update: It doesn't even do 2D right on the x200m/1100m. After a while I get very ugly corruptions around the mouse, the systray area and about 1,5cm above the systray. Running 64-bit BTW.

Comment

Working...
                      X