Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryysler View Post
    Could someone please post a howto to get fglrx 8.42 installed on a gutsy 64bit. I do not get it.
    I've posted about this on the Ubuntu forums.

Basically, though, you can unpack the installer into another directory by doing:

./ati-driver-installer-8.42.3-x86.x86_64.run --extract name-of-directory

then extract the other archive that Michael linked to into the same directory (choosing to replace files)

then, Cd into that directory and type

sudo ./ati-installer.sh 8.42.3 --install

(or ./ati-installer.sh 8.42.3 --buildpkg Ubuntu/gusty
    if you're following the Ubuntu wiki HOWTO)

Comment

anyone having any issues running amdcccle?

I had no problems with 8.40, but for whatever reason it just hangs upon execution with 8.42, never even paints a window, no error messages in terminal either.

Comment

Crap I'm at work and cannot play with it yet.

I was wrong about it being like DNF, now hopefully DNF will soon have a release date, and run in Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by kryysler View Post
          Could someone please post a howto to get fglrx 8.42 installed on a gutsy 64bit. I do not get it.
          Good idea!

This is a MAJOR update for most Radeon users! Maybe we can ask Michael nicely to post an article, with a step-by-step, screenshot filled instruction!!!

Thanks in advance Michael! (waving frantically)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Extract it to /etc/ati/custom-package and then with the 8.42 package run --buildpkg custom-package/7.10 (or 7.04 for Feisty)
            well...done....but it does not change a thing...
            same error...

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
              Good idea!

This is a MAJOR update for most Radeon users! Maybe we can ask Michael nicely to post an article, with a step-by-step, screenshot filled instruction!!!

Thanks in advance Michael! (waving frantically)

See: http://phoronix.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=92
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well this is the first version that didn't work with my X1550 at all. My monitor just showed "Signal out of range" with every configuration I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
                  Okay, looks like I was a little bit too fast, after testing with neverball and asuming everything else would work as expected, too. I did now fire up UT2k4 and when switching to a higher vertical resolution I do get graphic corruptions:
                  http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?i...roblemsil1.png

This does not happen when being at small resolutions, only at higher resolutions and so far only in UT2k3. I would assume that it is kernel 2.6.23 related (since with 2.6.22.6 there was no problem). And I do get a nice message in the terminal after starting ut2k4:
                  Code:
                  WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
                  Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
                  Would be nice to see those problems fixed, might be that it is the combination of running ut2k4 with xorg 1.4 and a kernel 2.6.23 on gentoo...

(Just for reference: I am using a radeon 9800 pro (agp), c2d 6400, 1GB DDR1 ram, arch: x86)

EDIT:
                  Okay, I just verified that my problems can be solved by downgrading the kernel to 2.6.22.9. This change makes ut2k4 and fgl_glxgears work again, both were not working with kernel 2.6.23.1.
                  Okay, looks like I have basically the same problem with a 2.6.22.9 kernel so it is either xorg-server 1.4 or fglrx itself misbehaving with ut2k4. When using the older kernel the problems do only appear at bigger resolutions than before, with 2.6.23 everything > X x 800 did cause problems, not it is everything > X x 960. With this problem the game is unplayable at higher resolutions due to the whole bottom half being not visible clearly.

Beside this the driver really does work nicely in neverball and at smaller resolutions in ut2k4. Wine seems to work okay, too though I do not have any 3D games installed via wine, I can only test with CrazyMachines.

Comment

Well, so now it installs in Feisty 64 bit... but it seems to have broken Wine. Anything that tries to initialise 3d graphics seems to die - even playing Peggle Extreme from Steam now doesn't work (and it even segfaults doing it!).

Even 8.41.7 let me play Peggle!

Comment

• This is strange.

serkan@zoidberg ~ $ fglrxinfo
                      display: :0.0 screen: 0
                      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                      OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
                      OpenGL version string: 2.0.6958 Release

serkan@zoidberg ~ $ glxinfo | grep ATI
                      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                      OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

serkan@zoidberg ~ $ glxinfo | grep GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                      GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
                      GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap

AIGLX is enabled. Composite is enabled. 3d is working. I get ~5000 on glxgears and ~1000 fgl_glrx and yet:

serkan@zoidberg ~ $ compiz --indirect-rendering --replace gconf
                      compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
                      compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
                      compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

compiz does not work. This is on amd64 gentoo. Does anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X