Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to bother again but I have posted my config on page 38 and no answer yet ?
    Please help !

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffjoker View Post
      Sorry to bother again but I have posted my config on page 38 and no answer yet ?
      Please help !
      What's the problem? Your post says that fglrxinfo is showing you're running the ATI driver successfully...did I miss a different post stating the issue?

Comment

• I was seeing that too, but it went away when I enabled compiz.

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post

I've got a feeling, that this might be related to HW Cursor, because sometimes (when switching windows) something similar is around the cursor, but goes away after switching windows again.

Sorry for the bad quality, I've only got a mobile phone and on screenshot this doesn't appear.

Normally after a restart of the X Server it is gone, but it'll come back after a while (or if I'm lucky it stays away for a session).

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffjoker View Post
          Sorry to bother again but I have posted my config on page 38 and no answer yet ?
          Please help !
          jeffjoker,
          Sorry about the non-responsiveness. There's a lot of people reporting problems and posting xorg.conf's. I can PM you my xorg.conf if you'd like, as I have desktop effects working. Before we do that, you should try adding:

Code:
          Section "ServerFlags"
          	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
          EndSection

Comment

• Originally posted by bullant View Post
            are you using compiz or not, if you are then try disableing it to run games, that may do the trick, the other thing may the problems with AGP and the drivers (but i thought they had resolved that with these drivers, or it may of been the open source version) all in all just try disabling compiz, u really shouldn't be having these problems though.

bullant
            I don't have compiz installed/enabled, AIGLX is set to false in xorg.conf and i added composite disabled now. There may have been a slight chance that the rmmod fglrx, install ati-drivers, modprobe fglrx needed a reboot, but that would be silly

A new day, more chances. So i'm gonna play/test some more with it. AIGLX was disabled btw from the log, and composite wasn't anywhere mentioned in the log. So i'm guessing it should be disabled by default.

For the guy mentioning the tearing on iceweasel; i had something similar, and turned out to be agp memory that was set to small. Try changing that in your bios, Dunno about pci-express but they may still use a similar option to map memory.

Edit: Ok tried it, same results. I played a little longer with these drivers, and i can deffinatly say except for some framerate spikes, overal performance was far worse then what I had with 8.42.3 go figure.
            I also tried ut2003 and got the same corruptions mentioned earlier. (saw screenies) but don't ask me where it was exactly

So for me, it's back to 8.34 as those are the only old drivers that actually work for me.

*sigh* and everybody else is having a blast with super speedy nice drivers
            Last edited by oliver; 25 October 2007, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JCTWeb View Post
              What's the problem? Your post says that fglrxinfo is showing you're running the ATI driver successfully...did I miss a different post stating the issue?
              Yes, I try to activate the desktop effects and I get an error message box saying that it failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
                jeffjoker,
                Sorry about the non-responsiveness. There's a lot of people reporting problems and posting xorg.conf's. I can PM you my xorg.conf if you'd like, as I have desktop effects working. Before we do that, you should try adding:

Code:
                Section "ServerFlags"
                	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
                EndSection
                I know there are a lot of posts and a lot of questions, I was just refreshing mine
                Thanks for your answer, I ll try that ASAP.

Comment

• Fglrx might still be blacklisted in /usr/bin/compiz, look for a line that says whitelist and add fglrx to the list of drivers.

Originally posted by jeffjoker View Post
                  Yes, I try to activate the desktop effects and I get an error message box saying that it failed.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpman View Post
                    I was seeing that too, but it went away when I enabled compiz.
                    I tried with enabled and disabled AIGLX/composite and I tried SW Cursor, nothing helped.

I don't really want to downgrade to 8.40.4 either, because I've got it now running with xorg-server-1.4 quite well and downgrading would result in a lot of package recompiling (to make sure it is running).

I'm a bit disappointed because I know, that I have to wait at least one month till this gets fixed.

Comment

• Normally after a restart of the X Server it is gone, but it'll come back after a while (or if I'm lucky it stays away for a session).
                      try adding:
                      Option "HWCursor" "On" to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. it should fix that issue.

new bench report for x200m:

it works with beryl-0.2.1, emerald-0.2.1, kde-3.5.8, xorg-7.2, kernel-2.6.22-r9 with about 650fps, which is 1/3 of best results without aiglx/beryl. i must say that this new driver is not bad at all, but still lacks some features and has some bugs, like the problem with this hw cursor. usually it gets out with firefox when right clicking and goes away with xorg restart. i now found out this hwcursor stuff and i will try it out to see what happens. the other problem is the xv compatibility. i cannot play some old files in xv, but only in opengl with bad textures all around, so this is not a great thing.
                      the only fact that i'm happy with is the performance gain (6 times 8.40) and it relative stability (it doesn't crash) and that finally i can use hibernate with it (i couldn't with old 8.40). the only tests that i still have to run are with xorg-7.3 and kernel-2.6.23 (i still have some issues with madwifi so until i fix these i won't actually try it).

Comment

Working...
                      X