Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• givemesugarr
    replied
    it is already active in number 2, 3, 4, 5.
    then it starts normally as you start the pc.

if you do a /etc/init.d/atieventsd status
    it should give a started or running status.

the atieventsd is the ATI Event handler service. it's normally used by ati cards to communicate with other processes like xorg and others. by default it should be started, but it's not always like that, and that may prevent you from using susped/hibernate, or have various xorg locks or application errors.
    the levels are from 0 (shutdown to 6 reboot). the other levels are for distinguishing from xorg-window-login (level 5) to terminal login (level 3) while others like 2 or 4 should be out of order but you never know for sure. for example, on my pc i run in level 3 with xdm started at half the boot process to have a graphical/konsole login.
    if i were to chose the level 5 i would have started kdm automatically but would have to say to it to login to the console before having a konsole/kdm login. for distros like ubuntu/kubuntu opensuse or fedora, the levels simply mean that in level 3 you have only the services needed for running a konsole and without any service needed for xorg and that in level 5 you'd have all the services needed for running a full xorg login system.

Leave a comment:

• Neo4
    replied
    but what i do? active that service atieventsd? what is that for?
    and active it in which number? 1,2,3...?!
    it is already active in number 2, 3, 4, 5.

sorry but you are being to vague in what is needed.

i've commented the tipe1 after i've seen that error

thanks
    Last edited by Neo4; 01 November 2007, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    replied
    i guess I don't have type1..
    comment the type1 module in the modules sections.

would this solve my problems?
    the slow compiz i guess not because i've just tried it out again...
    no. compiz is slow. i get about 100-200fps with compiz while get at best 1900fps without aiglx and beryl. i've read around that there are some problems with compiz, so if you want 3d effects use beryl (on my board doesn't slowed after i set the options right) or try using xgl-compiz.

as for the services:

you have to look for something like this:
    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

it seems it is called sys-rc-conf (that's the name of that thing)

here's a guid on how to speed up your ubuntu/kubuntu box. look at it on how to add or remove a service at init time. from what i've learned you just have to add the file to /etc/rcx.d where x is the runlevel you want it added.

Leave a comment:

• Neo4
    replied
    "and if you get it started, then go the configuration center, search for the daemons configuration (i don't know how this is called, but you should see a list of services as acpid, cups, xdm, alsa and similar listed on the base of different levels 3 - terminal login without xorg, 5 - graphical login, 0 - shutdown, 6 - restart). you'll know when you'd have found it because you'll see these services listed there and you'd be asked for a root password to access it in administrator mode.
    "

I go there and do what?
    btw i can't find what is that!

despite that ie followed the other steps and after changing some things in xorg like have 2 times the indentifier zone per device that made occurs some errors I got this workin and this is the result of the comand:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
    (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

i guess I don't have type1..

another question is:
    would this solve my problems?
    the slow compiz i guess not because i've just tried it out again...
    Last edited by Neo4; 31 October 2007, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    replied
    can i just don't use that fonts? they are all wrong! and i guess that i don't have some.
    on the /usr/share/fonts/ i have another 3 folders X11 truetype and type 1.

and what's that for? i don't have any problem with my fonts.

thanks for the help!
    the fonts aren't a real problem and xorg will disable them by default if it cannot find them raising a warning. i've had them there for a long time (about when i was using opensuse) and now i don't have all of them inside (only 2 or 3 of them are still there now). for what i know they are there only to make xorg apps know that they're there and can be used. but maybe kde/gnome find them without xorg passing them.

Leave a comment:

• Neo4
    replied
    can i just don't use that fonts? they are all wrong! and i guess that i don't have some.
    on the /usr/share/fonts/ i have another 3 folders X11 truetype and type 1.

and what's that for? i don't have any problem with my fonts.

thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    sorry to have done a 3 posts reply but the space is limited...

the last i've tried it (6.x version) it had the standard 0-6 modes and they would only be configured by graphical tool. that's one of the part that i most hate of ubuntu/kubuntu:
    there are only some few configs on the disk (wpa_supplicant/xorg.conf) and finding others had driven me mad. that's something that i cannot accept. i need to be able to manage my configs manually and not only by some graphical tool.
    and it's not the only issue:
    1. i've tried cmpiling firefox without gtk+ and with qt only (works flawlessly on gentoo) but i wasn't able to get some qt executable
    2. i've tried compiling the svn version of knetworkmanager but it needed some libs n /usr/lib when the kubuntu ones were in /usr/local/lib and didn't get it to work even after symlinking since i got an error with the soname and with patches for lbidnl. so i've packaged it with portage and installed and it worked like a charm.
    3. i've downloaded, compiled and installed the vanilla kernel, but after reboot i wasn't able to access the system with it. i had to package the rebuilt kernel to a .deb and then install it upgrading the old kernel and the system booted.
    after seeing this horrible thing i've formatted the partition and threw out of the windows the kubuntu dvd and i've swear that that piece of sh** would never get on one of my computers.
    When I tried Debian a few years ago there was a CLI tool to edit the runlevels. I don't know if it was rcconf, but it was there. Since Ubuntu is just a modified Debian system I guess that it was there, too. Maybe you just didn't find it.

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    replied
    sorry to have done a 3 posts reply but the space is limited...

Does Ubuntu have sth.
    similar or does it still only use the standard 0-6 system?
    the last i've tried it (6.x version) it had the standard 0-6 modes and they would only be configured by graphical tool. that's one of the part that i most hate of ubuntu/kubuntu:
    there are only some few configs on the disk (wpa_supplicant/xorg.conf) and finding others had driven me mad. that's something that i cannot accept. i need to be able to manage my configs manually and not only by some graphical tool.
    and it's not the only issue:
    1. i've tried cmpiling firefox without gtk+ and with qt only (works flawlessly on gentoo) but i wasn't able to get some qt executable
    2. i've tried compiling the svn version of knetworkmanager but it needed some libs n /usr/lib when the kubuntu ones were in /usr/local/lib and didn't get it to work even after symlinking since i got an error with the soname and with patches for lbidnl. so i've packaged it with portage and installed and it worked like a charm.
    3. i've downloaded, compiled and installed the vanilla kernel, but after reboot i wasn't able to access the system with it. i had to package the rebuilt kernel to a .deb and then install it upgrading the old kernel and the system booted.
    after seeing this horrible thing i've formatted the partition and threw out of the windows the kubuntu dvd and i've swear that that piece of sh** would never get on one of my computers.
    Last edited by givemesugarr; 31 October 2007, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    replied
    xorg.conf for Neo4:

new xorg.conf:

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/efont-unicode:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/encodings"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/encodings/large"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/sharefonts"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/unifont"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/util"
    FontPath "/opt/Acrobat7/Resource/Font"

FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/URW"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/PEX"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/latin2/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/latin2/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/latin2/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/latin2/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/latin7/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/japanese:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/kwintv"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/uni:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/CID"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ucs/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ucs/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ucs/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/hellas/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/hellas/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/hellas/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/hellas/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/sgi:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/xtest"
    FontPath "/opt/kde3/share/fonts"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "Protocol" "Standard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "eraser"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4 "# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "cursor"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
    EndSection

#these should still be on your system -- look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are problems loading some of these modules
    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "v4l"
    Load "dri"
    Load "GLcore"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device[0]"
    BoardName "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Vendorname "ATI"
    Boardname "ATI Radeon"
    Option "MergedFB" "off"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "HWCursor" "On"
    Option "CapabilitiesEx" "0x00000000"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "mtrr" "off"
    Option "no_accel" "no"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
    Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0660
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "DAMAGE" "true"
    Option "RENDER" "true"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic monitor"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Depth 15
    Modes "1280x960@60" "1280x1024@60" "1024x768@60" "800x600@60" "800x600@56" "640x480@60"
    # Modes "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x960@60" "1280x1024@60" "1024x768@60" "800x600@60" "800x600@56" "640x480@60"
    # Modes "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1280 1024
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[0]"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "on"
    Option "IgnoreABI" "on"
    Option "AIGLX" "on"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    # Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
    # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    Identifier "Layout[all]"
    Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
    Inputdevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
    Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad" "SendCoreEvents"
    # the following options turn off the second display in clone mode, the xinerama and set an offtime before acpi turns off the monitor of 5min
    Option "Clone" "off"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    Option "OffTime" "5"
    Screen "Screen[0]"
    EndSection

Leave a comment:

• givemesugarr
    replied
    Neo4, have you realized that you have 3 ati devices in your xorg.conf?
    it's not really normal...
    now, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ACTUAL xorg.conf to xorg.conf.old for example and use the following new xorg.conf.

be aware of some thing:

1. the modes indicated in the modes are for an xga monitor; if you have a wxga 15,4'' (and you're sure about that - all 15,4'' laptop monitors are 1280x800 but you should verify on the producer site) monitor use the commented modes in the section screen instead of the ones you use now by commenting the ones you have now uncommented and uncomment the ones commeted (ie:
    this:
    would become:
    #Modes "1280x960@60" "1280x1024@60" "1024x768@60" "800x600@60" "800x600@56" "640x480@60"
    while this
    #Modes "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480"
    would become this:
    Modes "1280x800" "1280x768" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480"
    2. the font paths setting in the section files:
    try to look inside the dirs there indicated and see if you have these fonts, and if they point to the wrong place place them right.

3. some modules in the module section may fail to load. see that section comment to see how to know about that.

4. this configration disables xinerama, cloning on the second external monitor and sets an offtime for the monitor of 5minutes. see the server layout section for this. to modify these settings just comment them out or set them as you preffer.

5. to start atieventsd look into the /etc/init.d/ and see if you have it there, then try it out from a konsole with root priviledges with
    /etc/init.d/atieventsd start
    and if you get it started, then go the configuration center, search for the daemons configuration (i don't know how this is called, but you should see a list of services as acpid, cups, xdm, alsa and similar listed on the base of different levels 3 - terminal login without xorg, 5 - graphical login, 0 - shutdown, 6 - restart). you'll know when you'd have found it because you'll see these services listed there and you'd be asked for a root password to access it in administrator mode.

6. before using the new xorg.conf logout your user, make a login to the console with "alt+ctrl+f1" and then go back to xlogin with "alt+ctrl+f7". then restart xorg with "ctrl+alt+backspace". if this will turn on your login screen (it should do it since you haven't modified nothing particular) enter your user, get a console and type: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE. if you if you see this followed by something like this:

(EE) error: ....
    then there is some error. so that you would do:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log >> /home/[your_user]/Desktop [or whatever directory inside /home]/xorg.error.log
    and post it here so we can try to help you. if you cannot see errors, then you config is ok, and you may only be needing some tuning, so that you'd save this new xorg.conf to some safe place, and would not modify it again with ati-config or other utils. when your config is ok, then you'd be modifying it ONLY BY HAND to avoid misconfigurations from graphical tools.

7. it would be nice if you can communicate us also if this worked well and not only if you've had problems.

8. the xorg.conf comes in the next post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X