Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 9.2, R600 SB Also Good For Older AMD GPUs

Phoronix: Mesa 9.2, R600 SB Also Good For Older AMD GPUs

Mesa 9.2 and the R600 Gallium3D shader optimization back-end can deliver some nice performance gains for various generations of AMD Radeon HD graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, what? These results are amazing, you actually have double the framerate for most of them!

Comment

These Shader Optimizer is written by one guy - Vadim Grillin, and they were available already for quite some time, although Michael tests them only now.

It would be super cool if we donate this guy some beers, for example so that he can buy 7950 card. Around 300$ should suffice. Anyone willing to start the thread?

The optimization efficiency is 0-50% and exactly these optimizations allow opensource driver to reach 80-110% performance of catalyst. Yes, in some cases opensource driver 3D is faster than catalyst.

Basically any opensource enthusiast has been using these optimizations already, and with DynPM, even mobile chips should be able to reach very high performance. Any tests without these optimizations are long irrelevant. Its really shame they are still not found in Fedora, so that Michael could have tested them several months ago..

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        These Shader Optimizer is written by one guy - Vadim Grillin, and they were available already for quite some time, although Michael tests them only now.

It would be super cool if we donate this guy some beers, for example so that he can buy 7950 card. Around 300$ should suffice. Anyone willing to start the thread?

The optimization efficiency is 0-50% and exactly these optimizations allow opensource driver to reach 80-110% performance of catalyst. Yes, in some cases opensource driver 3D is faster than catalyst.

Basically any opensource enthusiast has been using these optimizations already, and with DynPM, even mobile chips should be able to reach very high performance. Any tests without these optimizations are long irrelevant. Its really shame they are still not found in Fedora, so that Michael could have tested them several months ago..
        They aren't supported by r600g team

Understandable in light of rather small HR pool. But those results...

Comment

Doesn't he have some kind of flattr/paypal account thing going? If not: he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Doesn't he have some kind of flattr/paypal account thing going? If not: he should.
            Forget those, he should accept Bitcoin.

Comment

I've been testing them for months: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18703
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have a Geforce GT 620 sitting in my test machine, but I also have a Radeon HD 4670 lying around. Looks like I may just reinstall that Radeon card again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I've been testing them for months: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18703
                  Exactly this test was not having any optimizations.
                  But now - they are here. I don't accuse or criticize you, because this stuff is fast, experimental and not in mainstream yet.

Comment

AMD should hire this guy to write proprietary drivers for them!

Comment

Working...
                    X