Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 8670D: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    Michael please can you make clear to us what was the RAM clock in the tests you made for the APUs??
    Is it 1066Mhz or 2133Mhz as friend here said??
    Cause in an old article you proved that AMD APU's both CPU and GPU performance increase almost linearly with higher DDR3 RAM clocks!
    It's at 2133MHz as controlled from the BIOS/UEFI but the Catalyst driver as was reported to the result table reports 1066MHz.

    Leave a comment:


  • djdoo
    replied
    RAM Clocks

    Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
    1066 Mhz is DDR3 2133,

    DDR3 1066 would be 533 Mhz
    Michael please can you make clear to us what was the RAM clock in the tests you made for the APUs??
    Is it 1066Mhz or 2133Mhz as friend here said??
    Cause in an old article you proved that AMD APU's both CPU and GPU performance increase almost linearly with higher DDR3 RAM clocks!

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    That's kind of like saying, 99% of interesting tests are broken, but hey the other 1% all work.

    Sure, i just don't understand why it matters. Why does PTS break if the process remains alive? Why can't you just use the kill command? If this isn't possible in PTS for some reason, it sounds to me like PTS has a poor design. Or rather, I'm sure the design seemed fine, but it fails to match up with what is needed to properly test proprietary games on Steam, which would seem to be a very important goal.
    PTS doesn't break, it just sits there waiting for the process to be killed. Could add a kill command to the test profile but there isn't any sane way to do that unless just having it sit and wait for an arbitrary amount of time to kill the process, hoping the test completed in that amount of time.

    Leave a comment:


  • smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Any other game with automated test abilities works just fine
    That's kind of like saying, 99% of interesting tests are broken, but hey the other 1% all work.

    , but after you tell a Steam game to quit from its console, even when it was launched directly from the command-line, the screen goes away and returns to the desktop, but the process actually remains alive. That's an issue with the upstream (steam).
    Sure, i just don't understand why it matters. Why does PTS break if the process remains alive? Why can't you just use the kill command? If this isn't possible in PTS for some reason, it sounds to me like PTS has a poor design. Or rather, I'm sure the design seemed fine, but it fails to match up with what is needed to properly test proprietary games on Steam, which would seem to be a very important goal.

    Maybe the issue here is the automated bit, that requires you to do everything from the command line.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 05 July 2013, 07:42 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Requiring proprietary apps to behave in any way just to run in PTS sounds like a bug in PTS to me.

    Call it what you will, I'm going to continue saying it's a PTS bug.
    Any other game with automated test abilities works just fine, but after you tell a Steam game to quit from its console, even when it was launched directly from the command-line, the screen goes away and returns to the desktop, but the process actually remains alive. That's an issue with the upstream (steam).

    Leave a comment:


  • smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's not a bug in PTS but a bug in steam that when quitting that the process remains alive, can be reproduced from the command-line.
    Requiring proprietary apps to behave in any special way just to run in PTS sounds like a bug in PTS to me, and others have been able to get benchmark results out of Steam apps.

    Call it what you will, I'm going to continue saying it's a PTS bug.

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yeah, that's a pretty bad bug in PTS if it can't handle that.
    It's not a bug in PTS but a bug in steam that when quitting that the process remains alive, can be reproduced from the command-line.

    Leave a comment:


  • smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Last check, the process still doesn't exit cleanly after test completion.
    Yeah, that's a pretty bad bug in PTS if it can't handle that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    It's not like Valve doesn't make a dedicated benchmarking tool... I've got it installed here, and it most definitely is a native Linux program.
    Last check, the process still doesn't exit cleanly after test completion.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    I will not even open page: without DPM it's completely useless. Also please benchmark an R600g (pre-radeonsi) APU too.

    Edit: Left 4 Dead 2 please.
    Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
    Still no benchmarks with Source games like Left 4 Dead 2?
    It's not like Valve doesn't make a dedicated benchmarking tool... I've got it installed here, and it most definitely is a native Linux program.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X