AMD Radeon HD 8670D: Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    It's not like Valve doesn't make a dedicated benchmarking tool... I've got it installed here, and it most definitely is a native Linux program.
    Last check, the process still doesn't exit cleanly after test completion.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Last check, the process still doesn't exit cleanly after test completion.
      Yeah, that's a pretty bad bug in PTS if it can't handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Yeah, that's a pretty bad bug in PTS if it can't handle that.
        It's not a bug in PTS but a bug in steam that when quitting that the process remains alive, can be reproduced from the command-line.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

It's not a bug in PTS but a bug in steam that when quitting that the process remains alive, can be reproduced from the command-line.
          Requiring proprietary apps to behave in any special way just to run in PTS sounds like a bug in PTS to me, and others have been able to get benchmark results out of Steam apps.

Call it what you will, I'm going to continue saying it's a PTS bug.

Comment

Requiring proprietary apps to behave in any way just to run in PTS sounds like a bug in PTS to me.

Call it what you will, I'm going to continue saying it's a PTS bug.
            Any other game with automated test abilities works just fine, but after you tell a Steam game to quit from its console, even when it was launched directly from the command-line, the screen goes away and returns to the desktop, but the process actually remains alive. That's an issue with the upstream (steam).
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Any other game with automated test abilities works just fine
              That's kind of like saying, 99% of interesting tests are broken, but hey the other 1% all work.

, but after you tell a Steam game to quit from its console, even when it was launched directly from the command-line, the screen goes away and returns to the desktop, but the process actually remains alive. That's an issue with the upstream (steam).
              Sure, i just don't understand why it matters. Why does PTS break if the process remains alive? Why can't you just use the kill command? If this isn't possible in PTS for some reason, it sounds to me like PTS has a poor design. Or rather, I'm sure the design seemed fine, but it fails to match up with what is needed to properly test proprietary games on Steam, which would seem to be a very important goal.

Maybe the issue here is the automated bit, that requires you to do everything from the command line.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 05 July 2013, 07:42 PM.

Comment

That's kind of like saying, 99% of interesting tests are broken, but hey the other 1% all work.

Sure, i just don't understand why it matters. Why does PTS break if the process remains alive? Why can't you just use the kill command? If this isn't possible in PTS for some reason, it sounds to me like PTS has a poor design. Or rather, I'm sure the design seemed fine, but it fails to match up with what is needed to properly test proprietary games on Steam, which would seem to be a very important goal.
                PTS doesn't break, it just sits there waiting for the process to be killed. Could add a kill command to the test profile but there isn't any sane way to do that unless just having it sit and wait for an arbitrary amount of time to kill the process, hoping the test completed in that amount of time.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

RAM Clocks

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                  1066 Mhz is DDR3 2133,

DDR3 1066 would be 533 Mhz
                  Michael please can you make clear to us what was the RAM clock in the tests you made for the APUs??
                  Is it 1066Mhz or 2133Mhz as friend here said??
                  Cause in an old article you proved that AMD APU's both CPU and GPU performance increase almost linearly with higher DDR3 RAM clocks!

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                    Michael please can you make clear to us what was the RAM clock in the tests you made for the APUs??
                    Is it 1066Mhz or 2133Mhz as friend here said??
                    Cause in an old article you proved that AMD APU's both CPU and GPU performance increase almost linearly with higher DDR3 RAM clocks!
                    It's at 2133MHz as controlled from the BIOS/UEFI but the Catalyst driver as was reported to the result table reports 1066MHz.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Furthermore can you write the RAM clock at the hardware chart at each benchmark you make not just the amount, I mean something like 7068MB@1600Mhz or something...

Comment

Working...
                      X