Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the awesome work agd5f (Amd).

Using http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3-07-04-saucy/
    and these firmware files: RV730_smc.bin and RV710_uvd.bin.

I got a RV730 card:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV730/M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650/5165]

Issues:
    1. Screen flickering with horizontal lines. It seems to me it happends whenever the card is changing to a lower power state. Can anyone confirm this? At least the flickering disappears when running something graphics-intensive. Can you confirm this agd5f?
    2. UVD is not working. Dmesg:
    [ 28.299565] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
    [ 29.311534] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
    [ 30.323500] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
    [ 31.335467] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
    [ 31.355311] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, giving up!!!
    [ 31.355316] [drm:rv770_startup] *ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1).

Why is it trying to start a rv770 card? Or is it just the name of the routine?

Anyway thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      I really miss the improved snappiness, cooler running and - above all - more silent running from 2-3 days ago

that is on a radeon 5850 HD
      I'm running on this kernel and everything seems just fine for me.
      You could always go back to the previous release if you want....

This laptop is HD54000 CEDAR.

Originally posted by tball View Post
      Thanks for the awesome work agd5f (Amd).

Using http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...3-07-04-saucy/
      and these firmware files: RV730_smc.bin and RV710_uvd.bin.

I got a RV730 card:
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV730/M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650/5165]

Issues:
      1. Screen flickering with horizontal lines. It seems to me it happends whenever the card is changing to a lower power state. Can anyone confirm this? At least the flickering disappears when running something graphics-intensive. Can you confirm this agd5f?
      2. UVD is not working. Dmesg:
      [ 28.299565] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
      [ 29.311534] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
      [ 30.323500] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
      [ 31.335467] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, trying to reset the VCPU!!!
      [ 31.355311] [drm:r600_uvd_init] *ERROR* UVD not responding, giving up!!!
      [ 31.355316] [drm:rv770_startup] *ERROR* radeon: failed initializing UVD (-1).

Why is it trying to start a rv770 card? Or is it just the name of the routine?

Anyway thanks!
      I don't get any flickering at all, not when the power level is decreasing or increasing.
      Last edited by Bushido_root; 04 July 2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Doesn't seem to work for me (Radeon HD5770 / Juniper) :\

radeon_pm_info says it's in power level 2 all the time!

Comment

• Originally posted by ledti View Post
          Hi, I managed to get a dmesg log from the kernel after booting. I'm not sure if it'll help but here it is.

To summarize my previous post: the patches from the drm-next-3.11-wip-5 branch work fine with my 6870 (with dpm enabled). Using the later patches with dpm enabled result in graphical artifacts all over my screen. The dmesg log I linked is from using the latest patches from the drm-next-3.11 branch.
          The wip-5 branch had level changes disabled for your asic since it was hanging for a lot of people. Newer versions re-enabled them after I fixed a bug i the memory clock setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushido_root View Post
            Just to clarify, /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state will always be and say 'performance' right? We cannot change it?
            You can specify performance or battery. Desktop cards only have a performance state. Mobile cards have both performance and battery. There are multiple performance levels within a power state and the gpu switches between then automatically based on load. At the moment there is no interface to force a particular performance level within a power state, but I'm working on it and the patches should be available soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              You can specify performance or battery. Desktop cards only have a performance state. Mobile cards have both performance and battery. There are multiple performance levels within a power state and the gpu switches between then automatically based on load. At the moment there is no interface to force a particular performance level within a power state, but I'm working on it and the patches should be available soon.
              Ah, I see. So it is safe to assume that 'battery' makes the gpu stay at lower states most of the/at all time?
              Looking forward to the patches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bushido_root View Post
                Ah, I see. So it is safe to assume that 'battery' makes the gpu stay at lower states most of the/at all time?
                Looking forward to the patches.
                The battery mode generally has a narrower range of performance levels. You can see them all in your dmesg output.

Comment

• Originally posted by deadite66
                  anyone with a e350 managed to get dpm and uvd working at the same time?
                  It works on the systems I have access to. You might try my latest drm-next-3.11 or Dave's drm-next tree.

Comment

• Originally posted by brent View Post
                    That is unfortunate, but you will still benefit from clock gating. What do clock frequencies matter when the GPU is clock gated and effectively running at 0 MHz?
                    Not sure what you meant. Current code already sets my (desktop) card to the "cool and quiet" power state, so clock gating wouldn't change much. I need/want the driver to switch my card to the higher-performing power state(s) in the "3d_perf" class (with max clocks and voltage) when required.

d2kx and droste seem to be in the same boat.

Comment

• With latest code I still get soft lockup during boot and UVD not working (E-350 & HD 6870). Also on my HD 6870, bad 3D performance because it doesn't increase speeds in games.

Comment

Working...
                      X