Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• related to consoles?

Could this effort have something to do with the PS4 being freebsd based and the linux based steam console upcoming? Maybe they decided it'll be better in the long run to have an OS driver for those?

Comment

• PS4 shouldn't have much effect, that's usually in Sony's turf... however I'm wondering if this is for the Steambox.

Valve has said they prefer open source drivers. Intel is nowhere near powerful enough. I thought Nvidia was a sure bet for the Steambox but with this news plus some performance gains in the next few months, AMD could have just flipped that around and become the premier choice for Valve.

It would give Valve total source-level control over the entire platform... I'm sure they'd love that.

Comment

• Originally posted by archibald View Post
        AMD has been continuously working on the open source drivers since 2007. We've got mode-setting, OpenGL 3.1 (with 3.2 and 3.3 to follow in the relatively near future), hardware-based video decoding and dynamic power management. *
        Having features is all fine, but they are of no use to me if the basic performance of the driver renders a modern environment like gnome-shell literally unusable. I'm surprised in so many years of 'hard work' as you say, they could not even get this right - a simple IGP from intel can pull infinitely better performance on the desktop than what my dedicated can.

Thanks for the answer, though. I asked because I am seriously considering switching to an nvidia chip, but now maybe it's worth waiting a while still.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
          Having features is all fine, but they are of no use to me if the basic performance of the driver renders a modern environment like gnome-shell literally unusable. I'm surprised in so many years of 'hard work' as you say, they could not even get this right - a simple IGP from intel can pull infinitely better performance on the desktop than what my dedicated can.

Thanks for the answer, though. I asked because I am seriously considering switching to an nvidia chip, but now maybe it's worth waiting a while still.
          This is with the OSS driver? I know fglrx has always had terrible 2D performance but I was under the impression that the open source drivers were okay there?

Comment

There must be something wrong with your setup. I run KDE with common bells and whistles on an HD 4450 forced into low power mode, and it's fine.

Comment

• This is HUGE. Hopefully that will give Linux OEMs an incentive to offer AMD based laptops.
              Thanks AMD!

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                There must be something wrong with your setup. I run KDE with common bells and whistles on an HD 4450 forced into low power mode, and it's fine.
                Yeah, with the oss. haven't tried KDE in a long while, but gnome-shell is just bad. I used to keep it at medium power settings, but not much improvement with max either. I tried everything that archlinux had to offer in terms of docs, no performance improvements.
                Have you tried gnome-shell recently? how did it work for you with the oss, and which distro, please

with the new kernel release i will definitely make a new test, meanwhile my laptop is bricked because i tried to activate the IGP in the bios to compare performance, when the laptop does not support dual graphics, haha. If I had good drivers, I would have never done that

Comment

Yeah, with the oss. haven't tried KDE in a long while, but gnome-shell is just bad. I used to keep it at medium power settings, but not much improvement with max either. I tried everything that archlinux had to offer in terms of docs, no performance improvements.
                  Have you tried gnome-shell recently? how did it work for you with the oss, and which distro, please

with the new kernel release i will definitely make a new test, meanwhile my laptop is bricked because i tried to activate the IGP in the bios to compare performance, when the laptop does not support dual graphics, haha. If I had good drivers, I would have never done that
                  What is your gpu? Do you have OGL hw acceleration? Are perf options turned on?

My 5720M had no problem with any DE composition or no composition. Though it was rather hot experience But with DPM...

Comment

I know that question was not directed at me, but before i went back to Windows permanently my dual HDD notebook had both Mageia 2 and Windows 8 in it.

Keeping in mind that this is a 5 yr old notebook, Gnome 3 wasn't bad performance-wise (on Mageia 2, that is) actually even after forcing my HD3470 to run on the low power profile by performing echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile to it. The reason overall performance was slow as molasses was simply because power management for AMD hardware (both the GPU and the CPU) were so bad that without forcibly throttling the hardware's respective frequencies to their lowest possible speeds the notebook can expel air hot enough to actually cause real pain to anybody who comes into contact with it.

And obviously computing with a processor locked to 525MHz with the cpufreq powersave governor and the GPU set to use the 'low' power profile is going to be really bad, no matter how you look at it.

Comment

• Thanks devs.

I'm seriously thinking on switching from nvidia+blob to radeon+oss on a desktop PC.
                      Can't wait for phoronix benchmarks;
                      meanwhile, anybody can say me how are radeon+oss+linux performance vs radeon+windows? on a mid-end graphic card with oss driver "tweaked"?

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X