Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still gets max engine/memory clock values from vbios only? So lucky guys like me who have same value to all states didnt have pm before and will not have it now too?

Comment

• Originally posted by sstp View Post
      Is it still gets max engine/memory clock values from vbios only? So lucky guys like me who have same value to all states didnt have pm before and will not have it now too?
      Whats your GPU? You can change your BIOS with the Radeon BIOS Editor ( Attention its an Windows App ) and Flash the Card. I have to the same with my HD3850

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        and there will inevitably be some bugs now that's it's being tested by a wider audience.
        Do you guys have a test machine with Enduro? If not, please get one.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Kernel panic on AMD Enduro hybrid gpus (intel ivy bridge 4000 + radeon 7970m)
        And thanks for the power management code. This is really important for many people.

edit: seems fixed with latest changes as I have tested extensively with booting once and starting X successfully. Thanks.

edit2: In case someone was wondering, it does not contain the auto poweroff for the discrete gpu in hybrid configurations when the discrete gpu is not used.

Edit3: vgaswitcheroo hangs the system completely.
        Last edited by ChrisXY; 27 June 2013, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• I just joinned to send a big thanks to the entire dev team as well => I.Lurv.U.Guyz!!

However, since i haven't been checking every single piece of news on this topic, i must ask any of the devs here:
          Is this a sign of a continuous commitment from amd to better the os drivers, or just an exceptional bestowment of grace? Should we expect even further improvements (i.e. performance) to the drivers?

I for one, besides the power management issues, was completely disappointed by the performance of my 5870m in composited environments. I don't even care about 3d so much.

cheers

Comment

• What will be the next big target?

THANKS!!! THANKS!!! THANKS!!!

AMD, you're really cool. Anyway I was considering buying a new laptop with Richland and now I have a strong believe that I just have to buy it.

What will be the next big target? OpenCL?

And what is the status of hybrid graphics? I'd really like to use my muxless discrete radeon on one of my laptops, because fglrx is a no-no story for me. I have 4200 and 6650 in that laptop, I tried legacy, but well... And because support for 4200 was dropped, I had to switch to OSS driver. I really like it, but now I have a redundant hardware, that always stays switched off.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
              And what is the status of hybrid graphics? I'd really like to use my muxless discrete radeon on one of my laptops, because fglrx is a no-no story for me. I have 4200 and 6650 in that laptop, I tried legacy, but well... And because support for 4200 was dropped, I had to switch to OSS driver. I really like it, but now I have a redundant hardware, that always stays switched off.
              It should already work if linux, x.org, xrandr, mesa and xf86-video-ati and possibly libdrm is recent enough.
              Try
              Code:
              xrandr --listproviders
              If it shows 2 gpus, try
              Code:
              xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink 1 0
              and then try
              Code:
              DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep OpenGL
              Everything with the enivornment DRI_PRIME set to 1 should then render on the second card.

Comment

• ChrisXY was faster, so post deleted
                Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 27 June 2013, 05:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                  Is this a sign of a continuous commitment from amd to better the os drivers, or just an exceptional bestowment of grace? Should we expect even further improvements (i.e. performance) to the drivers?

I for one, besides the power management issues, was completely disappointed by the performance of my 5870m in composited environments. I don't even care about 3d so much.
                  AMD has been continuously working on the open source drivers since 2007. We've got mode-setting, OpenGL 3.1 (with 3.2 and 3.3 to follow in the relatively near future), hardware-based video decoding and dynamic power management. *

In the works are: support for newer versions of OpenGL, support for OpenCL (it's present at the moment, but limited), and performance. In short: they've been working hard so far, and are continuing to do so: it's good now and it's only going to get better :-)

*Southern Islands cards only support OpenGL 2.1.

Comment

• Thanks AMD!

I am wondering though if there will be any official support from AMD for the muxless hybrid graphics (I know there is DRI_PRIME thing right now, but the "do not upstream" message on the airlied's patch looks kinda scary and plus the preformance is terrible for me on HD6470 compared to Intel SNB - but the Catalyst does better).

Also, I wonder why no one noticed the vaapi state tracker from AMD [1]. It appears that we would be able to use UVD with vaapi aware programs.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/040742.html

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      should be fixed in wip-3
                      Thanks, now it compiles for 32 bit. Installed it, copied all the firmware from your site to /lib/firmware/radeon (no reports about missing firmware in dmesg), appended radeon.dpm=1 to my bootloader config, rebooted, doesn't work.

Graphics system starts, /proc/class/drm/card0/device/power_method shows dpm, but power_dpm_state never switches from performance to anything else. So for me it is still static, as it seems, CPU still idling 10-12?C higher than Catalyst.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Testing this on a HD3200.

Comment

Working...
                      X