Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any news on APUs? what is the actual status?
    when opencl will be stable, will OS devs start using it? what will it be like?

and whats the actual status on power management on pre R600? is it really complete? does it need manual activation on ubuntu? And will it ever get vdpau over its 3d engine?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      They still don't support crossfire, though.
      Just like the NVIDIA blob nor Nouveau doesn't support SLI yet either

Comment

Fantastic!!

I have two AMD powered machines, one's a netbook, the other a laptop, so heat and power management is kinda a big deal.

Still, recently on both machines I was surprised to notice that the performance had increased enough on the FOSS drivers that the difference with fglrx wasn't worth the extra messing around with Xorg versions and building the Catalyst module each time, so regardless of the slight extra heat I've still had my machines running the FOSS driver.

Its impressive how it's coming along. For me, the power management will complete the driver.
        Last edited by ElderSnake; 26 June 2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Just signed up to thank Bridgeman and other OSS devs working on the Radeon drivers
          I can finally get rid of the buggy Catalyst now

Comment

Michael please more radeon vs catalyst apu benchmarks
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              my deep and sincere thanks to all the FOSS driver team at AMD, drivers are getting AWESOME
              +1

Thanks to agd5f, bridgman, twriter and everybody else involved!

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                when opencl will be stable, will OS devs start using it? what will it be like?
                I think opencl will be more usefull at the ap level than at the os level.
                Some app already uses opencl : afaik gimp already has an opencl backend for gegl, one of blender lighting backend uses it too, bullet engine can offload some computations on opencl, and several framework (glib, qt, python) have an API to use opencl.
                And there are also plenty of less known small scientific library like ViennaCL.

I don't know however if clover will fasten opencl adoption among app developper (having a magic command like "apt-get install opencl-dev" instead of manually installing a whole sdk may help them to play with it though), on the other hand it will probably make transition to Xorg-less environment quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Michael please more radeon vs catalyst apu benchmarks
                  I'm limited by not having many APUs.... :/
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    DPM works fine with multiple monitors.
                    Thanks for clarification, Alex. Great to hear :-)

Comment

Big thanks to the AMD driver team.

Sadly, when I told the linux related chatrooms that I frequent about this, the replies I got were all still along the lines of "AMD sux and has no drivers lolol". It seems that the linux community, despite the rapid development model that it has, has still not learned that things can change.

I have a RadeonHD 5770 at the moment, I will be trying this out as soon as it hits portage.

Comment

Working...
                      X