Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my deep and sincere thanks to all the FOSS driver team at AMD, drivers are getting AWESOME

Comment

OK, cloned that Git, checked out drm-next-3.11-wip, copied over my config file (followed by make oldconfig), started the compile and this is all I get:
      Code:
      ERROR: "__udivdi3" [drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko] undefined!
      ERROR: "__divdi3" [drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko] undefined!
      What am I doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
        Not really true. I play TF2 on Fedora 19 with the radeon driver on my AMD 6870. Performance isn't amazing, but I get enough FPS to be playable (30-40).
        Except the topic was radeonsi (7xxxx-series).

On topic: Kernel panic on AMD Enduro hybrid gpus (intel ivy bridge 4000 + radeon 7970m)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          While this is good news, I still don't get why people hate catalyst so much (assuming you're using HD5000 or newer). While it isn't perfect, it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and I think people are just hating it due to past experiences.
          Still lots of reasons to be frustrated with the closed drivers: screen sometimes going black when switching to VT, new releases often bringing new bugs, their FPS may be slightly higher (not always anymore) but there are very annoying micro-freezes and compositing isn't as smooth as with FOSS drivers, no fancy framebuffer driver, ...

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            With this the open source driver is feature complete. It now supports 2d, 3d, suspend/resume and power management.

Yay! We now have an alternative to Intel!
            ...or not. Compared to nvidia and catalyst, radeon still lacks a GUI to configure stuff around, application profiles (I'm looking at nvidia here), overclocking, custom fan control, good 3D performance (to a point where it is funny on the HD7000s) and OpenGL 4.2 (or 4.3) support.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              ...or not. Compared to nvidia and catalyst, radeon still lacks a GUI to configure stuff around, application profiles (I'm looking at nvidia here), overclocking, custom fan control, good 3D performance (to a point where it is funny on the HD7000s) and OpenGL 4.2 (or 4.3) support.
              driconf provides application profiles. Overclocking..was possible. But even nvidia limits overclocking. Fan control +1. Performance IS good. OpenGL3.2 is as it gets, remember its opensource implementation.

Fan control, Crossfire/SLI, higher OpenGL level, yes. But all not critical.

Comment

Well when you look at all those things, it's really not that bad. A GUI shouldn't be hard for anyone to make, even Windows AMD users get limited application profile use, it's better to overclock a GPU using a BIOS editor, it's also better to control fans through a BIOS editor, and openGL 4.x isn't used often in linux and if it were, it's not too far away. Performance is catching up too, where some of the older cards now have better performance and more features than they do on Windows.

The problem is AMD decided to help out with these drivers when they were in TERRIBLE shape, so they're basically starting from the ground up. When you consider the amount of features released in the amount of time AMD decided to contribute, many of the problems and missing features should be taken care of in no time.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you guys and thank you AMD! This is an impressive work.

Comment

The gui is there.

It only needs some options to actually configure.

Comment

What's more, this means that Michael's benchmark results will rise appreciably for the supported AMD chips since the static power mode of balanced (or whatever it's called) can be substituted for a dynamic policy.
                      I can't wait to see how much the gap closes. I'm expecting a mean 20% increase. Hopefully more.

Comment

Working...
                      X