Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    My Question is. If i watch an Movie with UVD, he is Using the UVD Clocks (e.g. 400 Mhz). up to this point all is fine. If i now start an 3D app that need the full power (e.g. 850Mhz) what do now the new code? The Catalyst is so stupid and clock down to 400Mhz unless an 3D App is running.

Please don't do the same Fault! Its Annoying to Flash the Bios and chance the UVD Entrys to the Max Settings.
    Sorry, we indeed behave like Catalyst regarding this and it's not a software bug, but a hardware requirement.

At least parts of the UVD block are driven by the system clock, so when you want use it you need to keep the system clock inside certain limits.

Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Yes and here is what files you need for your card.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy666 View Post
        Yes and here is what files you need for your card.
        http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon#Firmware
        This is not up2date. As far as I see, for PM a new firmware file with *_smc.bin is needed.

Comment

works with 1 monitor , it doesnt with dual monitor (6870 here dual dvi 1080p monitors)

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck
            Does anybody know when all this goodness is going to come to Debian? I need to reinstall and it looks like it's going to be Ubuntu without xserver-xorg-video-ati 7.1.
            You most likely will have to wait for the next stable release if you prefer stable. So two years or so. But the debian kernel team is reasonably fast in putting newer kernels in experimental, so whenever 3.11-rc1 is released I guess.

Comment

That's really cool. As soon as it hits Portage I'll try and get it running. Given that the device has overheating issues, this should be absolutely marvellous! Especially combined with UVD! Though speaking of UVD, how is that RV790 UVD going?

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              While this is good news, I still don't get why people hate catalyst so much (assuming you're using HD5000 or newer). While it isn't perfect, it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and I think people are just hating it due to past experiences.
              Slow release cycle, a lot of good cards already deprecated, suspend problems, overall poor integration with the rest of the OS etc. And that's not even considering the FOSS license concerns.

Originally posted by archibald View Post
              Both of these are true. However, the performance difference isn't as large as you might expect, I think it's generally around 60-70%. OpenGL 4.2 is supported in Catalyst, open source drivers have 3.1 (but with 3.2 and 3.3 being close - possibly in the next version of Mesa).

I'm *really* looking forward to some new benchmarks with this new code!
              With the latest optimisations, I'd estimate 80%.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Thank....GOD... I was just considering switching my Desktop-Replacement laptop back over to Fedora the other day and I decided against it due to power management. VERY happy to see these get posted, and a biiiig shoutout to the entire Radeon team over at AMD, Alex, Bridgman and Christian and anyone else I may be missing-- you guys are awesome
              Nobody ever remembers Writer :P

Comment

Does anybody know when all this goodness is going to come to Debian? I need to reinstall and it looks like it's going to be Ubuntu without xserver-xorg-video-ati 7.1.
                Stable, testing or unstable? :P

Staple? 2yrs, give or take.
                Unstable? As soon as kernel 3.11 is released.
                Testing? A month or so after unstable.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Thank you AMD and thank you all the people working on this!

If my case could fit a second Radeon 7970, I would buy one

Comment

Grab Liquorix config and adopt it to lastest kernel, grab lastest mesa, build all as packages. Its pretty wrong to wait for Debian to catch by, due to them interested in stability. Stability will come in 1-2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      as far as I have seen you still can't play any game with valve's source engine.
                      Not really true. I play TF2 on Fedora 19 with the radeon driver on my AMD 6870. Performance isn't amazing, but I get enough FPS to be playable (30-40).

Comment

Working...
                      X