Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Great work AMD! I makes me very happy to see news like this. I've started looking at updating my 4850 to a 6xxx-series card, since the 7xxxx-series is still not supported.
    It is supported.

It's just more buggy than the others. Desktop effects, compositing and most games should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      It is supported.

It's just more buggy than the others. Desktop effects, compositing and most games should work fine.
      Really? It's only OpenGL 2.1 and as far as I have seen you still can't play any game with valve's source engine.

But most open source games I have tried and some less modern closed source games I have tried work fine.
      The webgl triggerrally (which is quite an impressive website by the way) works, but has flickering blue rendering artifacts on the ground all the time: https://triggerrally.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Really? It's only OpenGL 2.1 and as far as I have seen you still can't play any game with valve's source engine.

But most open source games I have tried and some less modern closed source games I have tried work fine.
        The webgl triggerrally (which is quite an impressive website by the way) works, but has flickering blue rendering artifacts on the ground all the time: https://triggerrally.com/
        Thanks for the update. I'd say that's good enough for some, but not all.

Comment

Great news, thank you so much AMD!

Comment

Congrats to AMD!!! Well done, everybody!

Please guys don't forget HDMI audio from the missing features' list! It's not supported on DCE 8+...
            Rafal Milecki told me a few months ago that he was going to work on it, but I've got no clue about the current status.

Comment

I wish AMD would just depreciate fglrx and do long term business support on it and just merge the teams to work on making radeon top notch like Intel is doing.

Their long term projection *needs* to be to get AMD apus on Linux-based mobile platforms, because that is their only way into any major mobile market. And fglrx is a dead end there.

Considering AMD is also powering the xbox one and ps4 (even though they have to support directx on the xbox and rewrite from scatch everything for that nightmare) having a shared FOSS driver with Sony would be nice =\

Comment

While this is good news, I still don't get why people hate catalyst so much (assuming you're using HD5000 or newer). While it isn't perfect, it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and I think people are just hating it due to past experiences.

Comment

This makes me sad. Us moaners have nothing to whine about after this.

HUGE thanks to the devs bridgman twriter and every one involved.

Comment

Am I understanding this correctly? The open source driver that AMD provides will be superior to their closed source driver as soon as this update hits? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      While this is good news, I still don't get why people hate catalyst so much (assuming you're using HD5000 or newer). While it isn't perfect, it's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be, and I think people are just hating it due to past experiences.
                      I hate catalyst because every time I'd compile a new kernel or update xorg, it'd break the driver. That and the lack of power management on the open sourced driver is why I moved away from AMD graphics forever.

Comment

Working...
                      X