Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Has Massive Radeon Patch Set - Power Management!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the dynamic powering off for hybrid graphics when the discrete card is not used in there? I have seen Dave Airlie doing something in that regard but as far as I know nothing got into mainline until now...

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
      YEAH =)
      this means radeon is finally a reasonable choice on laptops
      at least im going to swith to radeon now
      ++

dammit AMD !

had this been released last year - I would have bought a laptop with an radeon card

Comment

Thanks for nothing, since I've had to use llvm for months on my HD7870 ... And so within, say, another 6 months, I might have reasonable power usage. Cool ... Next time, I'm still planning on buying Intel instead, like one of the R series CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          We are still missing OpenCL
          OpenCL support is already present in git. Though it is still incomplete and slower than with the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            With this the open source driver is feature complete. It now supports 2d, 3d, suspend/resume and power management.
            Still missing:
            - UVD for RS780/880 and I think RS790
            - OpenGL > 3.1
            - OpenCL.

Anyways, way to go, AMD, but before cheering I have to test if those patches finally fix the overheating problem for my laptop with HD3200 graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
              And so within, say, another 6 months, I might have reasonable power usage.
              Why 6 months?

You can start today. Or, if you don't want to patch the kernel yourself, you can wait a few days until these patches are mainlined and check it out from git.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                OpenCL support is already present in git.
                Yes, and the radeon-specific stuff has been mainlined in LLVM which simplifies things. But you know what I mean, it will be a while before it is fully compliant and you can simply throw any CL program at it and expect it to work.

Now OpenCL is the new most exciting development remaining GL4 is interesting, but much less relevant and important, IMHO. OpenCL support is very important. Go Tom, go!

Comment

Great work AMD! I makes me very happy to see news like this. I've started looking at updating my 4850 to a 6xxx-series card, since the 7xxxx-series is still not supported. This makes me feel better about that decision, even though I'm talking about desktop (and not laptop) usage.

The Phoronix benchmarks are looking good enough for 5xxx/6xxx cards these days that it's worth the update.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    OpenCL support is already present in git. Though it is still incomplete
                    Only a little bit
                    Code:
                    ~/opencl-example (git)-[master] $ ./run_tests.sh | grep passes
                    43 passes, 28 fails
                    (radeonsi)

Comment

Good.

Tired of Catalyst and its X.org/Kernel support.

Now tests. Please

(Maybe we should now start asking AMD folks if they have any plans to suggest to game devs picking FLOSS drivers over Catalyst?? )

Comment

Working...
                      X