Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Important Radeon R600 Change In LLVM 3.4

Phoronix: An Important Radeon R600 Change In LLVM 3.4

While LLVM 3.3 hasn't even been released yet, there's already an important change found in LLVM 3.4 for Radeon R600 GPU users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

IOW : nothing major, just one compile flag less to pass, which 95% of users will never do anyway.

Comment

For end users it does not matter that much, however for dev it means that R600 backend is now built and tested automaticaly on a daily basis, which helps spot regressions much faster.
      For instance there was a couple of issue uncovered by automatized build bots that run address sanitizer.

Most of the work going into R600 is incremental so there is no ground breaking change likely to be reported, but this doesn't mean R600 backen isn't improving.

Comment

It also makes it more likely for the radeonsi driver to be built by default by Ubuntu and others.

They've currently got that driver disabled because it requires LLVM 3.3 (which hasn't been released yet), and it is possible (though hopefully unlikely) that they won't enable radeonsi until R600 is built by default.

The things you learn when you realize that your shiny new Radeon 7850 runs at 1fps when playing steam games... cause it's running on the CPU

Comment

First I read is "An Important Radeon R600 Change" and I thought: "great! they merged the power management code!"...

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            First I read is "An Important Radeon R600 Change" and I thought: "great! they merged the power management code!"...
            That wouldn't be released in LLVM 3.4 haha :P
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

After r600g-sb LLVM not need!

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                After r600g-sb LLVM not need!
                It is for RadeonSI or any OpenCL code.

Comment

Yes, OpenCL is certainly needed. So LLVM support is needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X