Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

Are you itching to try out open-source AMD Radeon "UVD" video acceleration support over VDPAU on Fedora Linux?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, which system with supported GPUs is too slow for CPUs to handle the videos?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Its more a question of watt efficiency. Ive underclocked and undervolted my cpu so its passively cooled and silent for HTPC use, and I imagine laptop users are pretty happy with this also...

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        Its more a question of watt efficiency. Ive underclocked and undervolted my cpu so its passively cooled and silent for HTPC use, and I imagine laptop users are pretty happy with this also...
        If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
          If only laptop users could use the open source driver at all. Without power management my laptop overheats to shutdown even with low profile AND doing nothing graphically intensive.
          Heat vents blocked? Fan not working? I've had a mid range radeon HD 4xxx series card powered by the open source driver for along time. Fan kicks in when its not in sleep mode or totally idle, but it doesnt overheat
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Heat vents blocked? Fan not working? I've had a mid range radeon HD 4xxx series card powered by the open source driver for along time. Fan kicks in when its not in sleep mode or totally idle, but it doesnt overheat
            It's possible, it doesn't over heat with fglrx though so I'm assuming no.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
              Yeah that's the #1 reason I have to stick to the proprietary drivers on my desktop and notebook systems. Although I think bridgman said they have something in the pipeline, held back by legal reviews as usual.

Comment

And now a manual for both radeonsi and uvd. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Yeah that's the #1 reason I have to stick to the proprietary drivers on my desktop and notebook systems. Although I think bridgman said they have something in the pipeline, held back by legal reviews as usual.
                  If I remember right... the code's been written, the documentation has been sanitized, its just sitting on legal's desk
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Hardware acceleration is the difference between being able to watch hd movies on lower power apus or not. My brazos system simply cannot handle 720p movies via software decoding, while via uvd even 1080p is a breeze. Obviously i'm still tied to frglx due to lack of dynamic power management though.

Comment

Working...
                    X