Open-Source Radeon UVD Video Support On Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Anybody here understanding what this retard meant by “nvidia is not= to nouveau”?
    Don't think it's a deliberate troll.

Post #23 talked about a desire for VDPAU support with Nouveau, then post #24 (from you) seemed to respond and say "I have vdpau with the proprietary drivers". I suspect you were actually saying "even if you had VDPAU with Nouveau you might not find it as useful as you think because...".

Looks like your post was interpreted as a "VDPAU works for me, don't know why it doesn't work for you" response -- which it probably wasn't intended to be -- and that's what drew the response.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06 May 2013, 12:50 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      My HTPC is a single core Sempron, selected for low power consumption and low NOISE. It is *able* to decode 720p with under 50% CPU use. It can more or less decode 1080p 30fps typical 1.5 hours per 10 GB stuff you find on the 'net.... but the vacuum cleaner mode is a bit distracting and counteracts the objectives.... which is why I installed a crystalhd 970015 in the unit. I would sure be happy to drop the crystalhd, but the chipset is an RS780, aka "not yet supported".
      Similar to my setup, although I do not have any "vacuum cleaner" mode problems (have I ever?). I am a little interested in UVD on that machine for a little better performance at 1080p, but the fact that it has limited codec support kind of puts me off.

Comment

Anybody here understanding
        Everybody besides trolls being deliberately obtuse.
        ASSHOLE.
        Last edited by droidhacker; 06 May 2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Similar to my setup, although I do not have any "vacuum cleaner" mode problems (have I ever?). I am a little interested in UVD on that machine for a little better performance at 1080p, but the fact that it has limited codec support kind of puts me off.
          The good news is that it supports the only thing likely to ever be used by anybody. H264.

Comment

The good news is that it supports the only thing likely to ever be used by anybody. H264.
            And there is the problem - I try to avoid it when I can, for good reasons.

Comment

No, that's actually (mostly) covered by my GTX 660:
              Code:
              > vdpauinfo
              MPEG1                 0  8192  2048  2048
              MPEG2_SIMPLE          3  8192  2048  2048
              MPEG2_MAIN            3  8192  2048  2048
              H264_MAIN            41  8192  2048  2048
              H264_HIGH            41  8192  2048  2048
              VC1_SIMPLE            1  8190  2048  2048
              VC1_MAIN              2  8190  2048  2048
              VC1_ADVANCED          4  8190  2048  2048
              MPEG4_PART2_SP        3  8192  2048  2048
              MPEG4_PART2_ASP       5  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX4_QMOBILE         0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX4_MOBILE          0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX4_HOME_THEATER    0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX4_HD_1080P        0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX5_QMOBILE         0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX5_MOBILE          0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX5_HOME_THEATER    0  8192  2048  2048
              DIVX5_HD_1080P        0  8192  2048  2048
              MPEG2 is still popular (DVB and DVDs). MPEG4 ASP was the standard FFmpeg codec until recently. VC1 is for WMVs, which still allows for pretty decent compression. And DivXs were quite popular in the past, too. Pretty much the only thing missing is VP8.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Post #23 talked about a desire for VDPAU support with Nouveau, then post #24 (from you) seemed to respond and say "I have vdpau with the proprietary drivers".
                So he is actually just stupid. Really stupid. I quoted to what I was answering to and that had absolutely nothing to do with Nouveau. The question was why I don't currently use video acceleration.
                I just put this complete retard on my ignore list. Calling me troll, just because he's too stupid to understand simple sentences? what a moron?

Comment

... I quoted to what I was answering to and that had absolutely nothing to do with Nouveau. The question was why I don't currently use video acceleration.?
                  Yeah, you're right. I missed that too...

OK, I don't understand either then
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    MPEG2 is still popular (DVB and DVDs). MPEG4 ASP was the standard FFmpeg codec until recently. VC1 is for WMVs, which still allows for pretty decent compression. And DivXs were quite popular in the past, too. Pretty much the only thing missing is VP8.
                    VC1 was also used by many early blurays, as an alternative to h264.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      VC1 was also used by many early blurays, as an alternative to h264.
                      Not that you can play blu-ray on Linux to begin with, at least without major issues trying to crack the DRM...
                      Can't wait for lib-ray to be finished. Not that it will get widely adopted, mind you, but at least we'll have a stand then.

Comment

Working...
                      X