No announcement yet.

Radeon Driver Gets Golden Registers In Linux 3.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty sure Michael himself didn't understand what golden registers are.

Here is what I gathered.

Golden registers are arrays of register settings from the hw team that need to be initialized at asic startup.

Also it seems to be nothing incredibly new, since there are golden register commits that were one jear ago.

Comment

According to this Git commit, golden arrays for AMD Radeon graphics processors come down to arrays of register settings that need to be initialized at the ASIC (GPU) start-up.

The sets of new "golden" registers to initialize at start time were added for the Radeon HD 4000 (R7xx), Radeon HD 5000 (Evergreen), Radeon HD 6000 (Cayman / Northern Islands), and the Radeon HD 7000 (Southern Islands) series.
      Shouldn't "need to" be replaced by "should" ? Or if it was really "need", how come everything has been working fine without those golden registers ? Anyone from AMD would dare to comment on that ? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        Shouldn't "need to" be replaced by "should" ? Or if it was really "need", how come everything has been working fine without those golden registers ? Anyone from AMD would dare to comment on that ? Thanks!
        Some register are initialized by video bios not atombios, and they are initialized one time at boot. Now that d3 cold is becoming a reality we will need to reinitialize those register when coming out of d3 cold, and there might other case where we will need to reinitialize them.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
          Some register are initialized by video bios not atombios, and they are initialized one time at boot. Now that d3 cold is becoming a reality we will need to reinitialize those register when coming out of d3 cold, and there might other case where we will need to reinitialize them.
          What is "d3 cold"?

Comment

They are the recommended register settings from the hw team for a variety of blocks. It may help with strange behavior or bugs on certain cards. We are already setting a lot of these registers in the gpu init sequences in the driver. In a lot of cases, the default power on values are fine which is why the existing driver works fine. In many cases the golden setting are just optimized settings.

Comment

OK, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying what that actually meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                What is "d3 cold"?
                It's an ACPI device state, as low as you can go IIRC. The device is completely powered down, loses all settings and needs to be completely re-initialized when it comes out of that state.
                Test signature

Comment

i guess this could be a steping stone for APU reclock fixes later

Comment

That's good to know. Though I'm still curious, what exactly makes those registers "golden"?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      That's good to know. Though I'm still curious, what exactly makes those registers "golden"?
                      golden = optimal

Comment

Working...
                      X