Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Reboot the system.
    What kind of archaic joke is this?
    Seriously the graphics stack on Linux does need work on this.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      What kind of archaic joke is this?
      Seriously the graphics stack on Linux does need work on this.
      You just installed a different kernel. How do you propose using it without rebooting? (kexec counts as reboot here)

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        A bit problematic for me is that mesa 9.1 git now has got a hyperz regression, games like Killing Floor or Team Fortress 2 do only run with "R600_HYPERZ=0 %command%". The older mesa 9.1.0 did not have got this problem (but was not uvd patched).
        9.1 has always had hyperz support, but it requires kernel 3.8 so it doesn't get enabled unless you are using kernel 3.8 or newer.

Comment

I used kernel 3.8 for benchmarking and mesa 9.1 final and it did not have got stability problems with TF2 with my hd 5670 - it was just slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I just packaged mesa 9.1 git+uvd from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/mesa/log/ and patched vdpau-video wrapper (for use with vlc) - basically only a few symlinks. I already packaged linux-firmware with uvd and kernel 3.9 rc7 + uvd patches. When mesa is uploaded i could even create iso images that can be used to test xvba (vlc) or vdpau (mplayer+vlc) with mesa+fglrx(gfxdetect mode) if somebody is interested.
            I would appreciate this. This would give me a chance to easily try it out on my mediapc and make sure HD video playback works smoothly on my AMD hardware.

Comment

How to add that entry to ld ?

Comment

yes, how can I add the entry?O.O

Comment

Hello all,

I am now using Mythbuntu 16.04 on my AMD 780G board (RS780 chipset with HD3200 graphics and UVD2 support). It looks like out of the box a lot of the new Gallium VDPAU goodness is working, but I would like to get it using the UVD chip to hardware-offload the video decoding (it's a HTPC).

I've read the article:
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

but we are well past most of the mentioned changes making their way into the standard distribution packages. As of 16.04, is there anything that I need to do aside from putting the firmware files in /lib/firmware to make this work?

BTW, I found this really helpful page:

to tell you which firmware you need for each card/chipset. Based on that, I'm pretty sure that I need:
                  radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/RS780_uvd.bin

Thanks!

Comment

It should work by default in most modern Linux distributions.
                    What's the output from vdpauinfo (if it's installed).

Comment

Working...
                    X