AMD Kernel Mode-Setting Continues On FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crapI3SD
    I disagree, what lesterchester is saying here is pretty much well known and sensible. By taking KMS drivers from Linux, libel and Pedron are actually stealing GPLed code. Here's why:

-KMS driver is MIT licensed
    -Linux kernel is GPLed
    -Thus linking KMS driver to Linux GPLs the KMS driver.
    -KMS (now GPLed) is taken from Linux and placed in BSD code as BSD licensed and thus violating the GPL.
    -Thus libel and Pedron are in fact thieves and violating the GPL.

libel and Pedron are the ones that can be sued for damages they caused to the Linux foundation. they should be the ones who must be careful.
    Oh come on, now you start to backup your claims with another account created by yourself and you do it in such a half-assed way that anyone with half a brain can see it. Man, you are so pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by TestingTe View Post
      Can't wait 'Till it's finished! I hope that they are using KMS from a Linux kernel version that I was actually able to boot to! (Anything from before 3.5)
      The work is based on Linux 3.8rc3, the most current version at the time I took the original code.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post
        The work is based on Linux 3.8rc3, the most current version at the time I took the original code.
        Magikarp.... that may be a problem for me..

Comment

Thank you for the continued work on AMD KMS. I'd be delighted to hear more technical details about the work.

Comment

Really looking forward to this... With KMS for both Intel and AMD, and the job being done by the PC-BSD folks, there is really a nice BSD desktop alternative.

Comment

Can we just ban lesterchester and openslowlaris? It's pretty obvious this is the BSD troll.

Comment

Originally posted by lesterchester View Post
                Why the hell is there so many articles about this all repeating the same thing?
                Because you respond to every one of them in the same fashion and that makes you a sad excuse for a troll. Try harder.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words!

In the next report, I'll add more technical details on what works and doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by dumbbell View Post
                    Thank you all for the kind words!

In the next report, I'll add more technical details on what works and doesn't work.
                    Quick question, would it be at all possible to backport this to FreeBSD 9.*?
                    I mean, not upstream, but could a user roll together a driver?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      Quick question, would it be at all possible to backport this to FreeBSD 9.*?
                      I mean, not upstream, but could a user roll together a driver?
                      A contributor is already working on a backport to 9.x. So once the driver is committed and has lived enough time in 10-CURRENT to stabilize, it'll be merged in 9-STABLE. However, I'm not sure it'll be ready for 9.2.

Comment

Working...
                      X