X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    when the original question was about radeon(uvd), not catalyst(uvd)?
    Both are using the same Hardware an Firmware. 10bit is not possible with catalyst so i doubt that its possible with the radeon UVD code. The Hardware is not an FPGA with what you can map all possible codecs.

Isn?t it possible to implement uvd+OpenCL(shaders) now for all codecs on radeon driver?
    Not maybe impossible but ineffective (a 50$ CPU can handle 1080p high10). Bridgman and Christian K?nig has said something about this Topic in the past.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    It's simply not useful or even possible to do OpenCL/shaders for some codecs. They are not parallelizable.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    catalyst. (10 Chars)
    Thanks!

So why then you suggest
    No, to both questions.
    when the original question was about radeon(uvd), not catalyst(uvd)?
    Isn?t it possible to implement uvd+OpenCL(shaders) now for all codecs on radeon driver?

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Using catalyst or radeon?
    catalyst. (10 Chars)

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    After an quick search (tl;dr), i can't find nothing about you statement in this 2 Links. And i can open without an problem 7 HD Streams an play them with UVD without problems. About the ALUs. Yes they do smt but not the Important parts.
    Using catalyst or radeon?

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Ok then I stand corrected. Blu-Ray 3D is referred to as H.264 MVC in the articles.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I have read that UVD on JUNIPER can only decode 1 HD + 1 SD stream simultaneously (for Blu-Ray PIP). In order to decode 2 HD streams on the 6770 (for Blu-Ray 3D) some sources claim that shaders are used[1] while others say that the UVD clocks are simply increased[2].

[1] http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_j...enamed_hd6700/
    [2] http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/a...n-5700-rebadge
    After an quick search (tl;dr), i can't find nothing about you statement in this 2 Links. And i can open without an problem 7 HD Streams an play them with UVD without problems. About the ALUs. Yes they do smt but not the Important parts.
    Last edited by Nille; 16 April 2013, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    I have read that UVD on JUNIPER can only decode 1 HD + 1 SD stream simultaneously (for Blu-Ray PIP). In order to decode 2 HD streams on the 6770 (for Blu-Ray 3D) some sources claim that shaders are used[1] while others say that the UVD clocks are simply increased[2].

[1] http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_j...enamed_hd6700/
    [2] http://www.anandtech.com/show/4296/a...n-5700-rebadge

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Because it is more power efficient.
    H.264 decoding is already done on GPU shaders, mind you. Most recent example is Blu-Ray 3D decode on 6770 with the proprietary driver, whose UVD unit is not capable of handling two HD streams simultaneously.
    My radeon HD5770 can decode 7 Streams at the same time. Only the HD2k and Hd3k can only decode 1 Stream at the time. And no the Decoding is not done on the shaders.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    If it were possible to decode an h264 Video Stream effective on the GPU ALUs why each Hardware vendor use an Asic for this?
    Because it is more power efficient.
    H.264 decoding is already done on GPU shaders, mind you. Most recent example is Blu-Ray 3D decode on 6770 with the proprietary driver, whose UVD unit is not capable of handling two HD streams simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X